Best place for antenna: Trunk or Roof ?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Best place for antenna: Trunk or Roof ?

Post by MT2000 man »

Good day all !

I have a 110Watt UHF A7 Spectra mounted in a CVPI. The antenna is on the middle/center of the trunk. I have been told mixed results that the BEST place to mount the antenna is on the roof of the car, and NOT the trunk. Can anyone provide any info ? Should I move the location to the roof of the car insted of the trunk ? Where do you guys usually put the antenna ?
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Best place for antenna: Trunk or Roof ?

Post by Wowbagger »

The roof will have the best omnidirectional pattern - the trunk will have a null due to the roof.

However, the difference isn't huge, and the increased height can lead to the antenna hitting items.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

The best place is as high as you can get, and, for an antenna requiring a ground plane, in the middle of the biggest chunk of metal. Obviously that would be the roof.

That said, I suspect the difference will be fairly minimal. On the trunk, you may a slight cardioid pattern with the null facing the passenger area, but I suspect it would be very minor.

If you really want to do this right or are doing this comercially, you should consider RF exposure as well. The occupants will be directly in the beamwidth of a trunk-mounted antenna. You need about 7.2 feet at 450MHz to be below the FCC-mandated limits for an uncontrolled area. The driver is probably OK... the back-seat passenger/suspect, not so much.

As always, vertical separation rules here. Looking at a random datasheet for a typical quarterwave whip from Maxrad, the elevation plot shows a minimum -15dB null below the plane of the antenna. So, your +50 signal becomes +35, and you only need 2' separation from the antenna to be compliant.

In short - the roof is the best place for a new install. If RF exposure isn't your concern, and especially if the antenna is already installed, I wouldn't screw with it.
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Wow, thanks for the fast response everyone !

Here is where my antenna is now on my 2010 CVPI (note the Comtelco puck on the trunk) :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'd like to move it to the roof simply do to the reasons above (RF exposure, and most importantly for the BEST possible reception / clarity ). Antenna height will not be a problem, because I will not be going to a full UHF whip antenna. I will either keep the one I have, or move to this : http://www.radio-accessories.com/QWB450 ... tenna.aspx

All of my vehicles, any time the antenna is on the trunk there was always a *slight* bit of differentiation between the trunk, and a car where the antenna is mounted on the roof. So, I think I'll have this one moved to the roof.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

I can't believe 110 watts doesn't smoke the matching hardware in that puck antenna. What is it rated for?

Back when I ran 110W on UHF I never used a transit/low-profile antenna.. it was either a 6'' stinger or a center-load gain antenna. For a while I even used one of these monsters (on the trunk of a CVPI, no less) and let me tell you, if I wasn't into the repeater full-quieting it was broken. :lol:
hawkspringsfire
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Uniden

Post by hawkspringsfire »

The roof is better as it's higher and has a better ground plane.
kb2crk
What radios do you own?: Astro Spectra Spectra Maratrac

Post by kb2crk »

i always say the roof. but then i drive a minivan.
i have a 110w a3 spectra on uhf with a gain antenna and a 100watt maratrac on vhf hi.

just call me dos impaired.... lol
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

That's a Comtelco A2543B he's running and it's rated at 200 watts. I run two of them on the
roof of my 2011 Outback and they are very good performers.

http://www.comtelcoantennas.com/PDF%20D ... A2543B.pdf
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Yup, as Tom has said, that antenna can handle up to 200 watts out.

I don't have the Spectra putting out the full 110 watts though, it's down tuned to around 90 watts out.

I'm having the antenna moved to the roof in the upcoming weeks.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

If you were to install the A2543W (white) version it would be a lot less noticeable. Just a thought.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Nope, I'll be more than likely ditching (AKA selling here on Batlabs) my current Comtelco, and going with this little booger :
http://www.radio-accessories.com/QWB450 ... tenna.aspx
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I doubt you will notice a difference in performance moving to the roof. They are great theoretical discussions, sometimes quite passionate discussions, and some guys love to break out their calculators to prove the rooftop is best. But! Then the real world comes into play. You might get one whole extra mile and a db of extra quieting if you move to the roof depending on where you are in relation to the receiver. Are you down in the valley surrounded by an urban tree canopy, or are you on a bald mountaintop at 2500ft elevation? A few vertical inches and some sheet metal pillars are not going to help you or hurt you.

Which is why I could get away with putting a quarterwave mounted under the trunk on some beater undercover vehicles.
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

I'm actually in a Suburban area (trees, hills, but no SUPER tall buildings, mountains, etc.). I'm looking to get the best possible reception from my Spectra, so I figured the roof would be the best bet. I should have thought of that before I slapped it on the trunk lol
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

A few inches higher on the roof will not change the overall terrain aspect, or put the antenna above the tree canopy. Trunk lid is fine. You would never notice the difference.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

that black hockey puck will stand out anywhere you put it on that car. Why not just use a simple regular antennae, in this case it will be a visibly lower profile and only stick up about 4 more inches? And cheaper
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Welp, I ended up having it moved to the roof a few days ago. I also went with this antenna here:

Works excellent, and much less gawky then the big round thing I had :)

Thanks for the assistance everyone !

Oh, and here is a picture of the new antenna, and location:

FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

MT2000 man wrote:Welp, I ended up having it moved to the roof a few days ago. I also went with this antenna here:

Works excellent, and much less gawky then the big round thing I had :)

Thanks for the assistance everyone !

Oh, and here is a picture of the new antenna, and location:

what did you do about the trunk antenna?
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

I actually gave it to a friend of mine that was installing a Spectra in his car and needed an antenna.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Did you put another antenna on the trunk in its place or plug the hole?
MT2000 man

Post by MT2000 man »

Nope, I plugged the hole with a color-matched hole plug from where the antenna on the roof went . I'd much rather have it sanded down to make it look like nothing at all was on the trunk, but that's too much work :)

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”