ht600e on vehicle

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

albdiag
New User
What radios do you own?: HT600E

ht600e on vehicle

Post by albdiag »

Hi

i am trying to install some ht600e on our vehicles

Will use them for 4x4 trips.

I had a problem with bateries as they are all destroyed but now i solved is by making simple battery eliminator with 7808 and capacitors.

problem is the how to conect the external antena on the car. I did some tests but the coverage is not good.

Any one has succesfully installed aeternal antena for vehicle . if yes pls let me know any tips

Thx

Gusti
www.gwagenalbania.com
maxkelley_kc2spy
What radios do you own?: XTS2.5K-Q, ASpectra, MT2K

Re: ht600e on vehicle

Post by maxkelley_kc2spy »

Hi Gusti,

Probably the best way to do it would be to use a Convert-a-Com for the HT600/HT800, if you can find one. The radio pops into it, and connects it automatically to the external speaker, microphone, and antenna.

If you can't find one of those, you can use the NTN5368A RF adapter, with the NKN6408A cable kit. The RF adapter plugs into the accessory port on the top of the radio, and provides a 3.5mm audio jack for the antenna connection, which you then plug the cable kit into to go to a SO239 coax connector.

Unfortunately, with the RF adapter connected, you cannot attach a speaker microphone to the radio, as well.

Hope that helps a bit...
Max Kelley KC2SPY
http://www.maxkelley.com
MT2000 VHF & UHF A7, Visar UHF, ASII UHF, Maratrac UHF, Astro Spectra UHF, MCS2KIII 900, XTS2.5K-Q
albdiag
New User

Post by albdiag »

I am in albania and i can not find those adaptors so i want to solder wires on the pins and short what is necesary

I can handle all but my warry is good conection to an extension cable for antena

gusti
albdiag
New User

Post by albdiag »

Also i have some antennas. How i know what is vhf and what is UHF antenna?
Thx
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

How are you connecting the external antennas now, or are you using the whip that came with the radio inside the cab?

There are antenna adapters used for bench testing a radio that screw into the antenna port. That would be the best solution.

HT600 adapters at EBay

wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Bill, it's been a while since I serviced HT600 units, but I don't believe the adapters you pictured will work. They require an outer ground ring which the HT600 doesn't provide...in fact the connectors end up shorted.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

There were some adapters that worked, and some that didn't because the adapter ground sleeve could contact the retaining nut on the top escutcheon. But, if the diameters are good, it clears without shorting out the connector. A royal pain fer sure. Buyer beware. Hopefully he can find (or fab) something like this in Albania for his project.
albdiag
New User

Post by albdiag »

Bill_G wrote:How are you connecting the external antennas now, or are you using the whip that came with the radio inside the cab?

There are antenna adapters used for bench testing a radio that screw into the antenna port. That would be the best solution.

HT600 adapters at EBay

yes i was trying to order those adapters
looks good

just must ground them
albdiag
New User

Post by albdiag »

I will have to make a car wiring . let say press button on the steering wheel for mic, external speaker on car and must ground that adapter to the radio
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Why not just purchase mobile radios for this task?
albdiag
New User

Post by albdiag »

too many reasons

1. money ( i want to install about 20 radios)
2. i havew this HT600e so why not reuse them
3. I want to have fun and play with them

my website www.gwagenalbania.com
albdiag
New User

Post by albdiag »

i think i will open tghe radios and solder the coax directly to the inner connection
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Right on. Sounds like a fun project Gusti.
albdiag
New User

Post by albdiag »

Bingo
Removed the antenna metalic socket from radio. Soldered the coax short cable both signal and gnd and plugged a bnc connector on the end.

The solder wired to mic button in order to trigger it from steering wheel extended wires for mic and for speaker.

Replaced ori mic with other one taken from car phone kit as it had much better cover. now must think to conect also a more powerful speaker. Can not find original external speaker from motorola so will have to invent something

Any tip for external speaker will be welcomed especially what maximum power speaker the radio can handle?????

any way to attach pictures on the forum?
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Honestly, you want a low fidelity speaker. You want a speaker for mid range with less bass and more treble, or it will sound muffled. The HT600 may not be loud enough to drive a larger speaker well. You may have to wire it into the aux input of the car stereo, and hope for the best. Use a cap or transformer for dc isolation.
albdiag
New User

Post by albdiag »

Bill_G wrote:Honestly, you want a low fidelity speaker. You want a speaker for mid range with less bass and more treble, or it will sound muffled. The HT600 may not be loud enough to drive a larger speaker well. You may have to wire it into the aux input of the car stereo, and hope for the best. Use a cap or transformer for dc isolation.

thx bill_g
albdiag
New User

Post by albdiag »

So a 8 w speaker will be handled directly from radio outputs?

What power spec have the speaker inside radio?
albdiag
New User

Post by albdiag »

all solved

System working nice with mic and speaker from handfree nokia car systems. (of course mic is with press buton)

Just noticed that LM7808 got a bit hot during radioo use. I have put 3 in paralel wjth heatsink but still hot. Will put them on teh engine bay and use a pc fan to cool
albdiag
New User

Post by albdiag »

Hi all
what Gusti not tell you is I supplied all the radios to him. All ex British Police stock. They make good use of them here. We did have 1 xConvertacom but burn out inthe end (policeman proof but not abanian proof)hehe.

Looks good just quite a few more to go. Thanks for the help. Lots of 4X4 drivers have radios to chat here.

Russ (interceptor British Police)

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”