Larsen Mirage UHF antennas

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

emtprt
What radios do you own?: Astro Specta CDMS XTS3000

Larsen Mirage UHF antennas

Post by emtprt »

I am considering replacing 2 UHF antennas with the above antennas. They will be placed on the roof of an ambulance after multiple clearance issues and damage to the vehicles roof. I have tried the 3.5" Laird phantom antennas which have performed well but keep taking hits. Quarter-waves are longer and I have had them fold and break. I have also lost an A/S transit antenna.

The Larsen Mirage is only 1.5" high and unity gain but I am not aware of the antennas history or pattern.
tvsjr

Re: Larsen Mirage UHF antennas

Post by tvsjr »

If the drivers are getting in situations where they are striking a 3.5" antenna and the A/S transit antennas, I'd suggest a serious driver training course combined with proper discipline when the drivers screw us. If they're coming that close, a few inches more and they will be peeling the roof off the box.
emtprt
What radios do you own?: Astro Specta CDMS XTS3000

Post by emtprt »

We have had numerous power outages recently downed trees/hanging branches over the past few months due to hurricanes and a rare fall snow storm. The last incident occured at night on a unit that responds to over 2000 alarms a year. The height of the box clears the garge opening by 11" and 7.5 inches with the Laird antennas. If you have an ice or snow build up in front of the bay door or chains on the rear tires it is even less. There is annual driver training and a mandatory recert.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Point is - if you're taking 3.5" antennas off the roof of the box, you need to reevaluate what you're doing - not what antenna you're using. Frankly, I'm surprised you haven't peeled a mount out of a box roof by now.

I frequently operate structural apparatus in unincorporated county area, where low-hanging trees are a constant threat. If I get into a situation where I can't fit, I don't charge ahead and say "oh, it's just an antenna/lightbar/ladder/hose/etc..." - I either make the hole bigger or find another way in. Tearing up apparatus is never acceptable.

The Mirage works OK at best.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”