900 Maxtrac NO control of tx power...

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

900 Maxtrac NO control of tx power...

Post by PETNRDX »

I have a 900 Maxtrac that I want to use as the transmitter for a ham repeater.(800Maxtrac as the Rx). But the "operating system" of the radio does not "control" the tx power out, the tx just runs "wide open". I believe this is because the freq is outside of the allowed band for the radio. I have run into this on other Maxtracs in the other bands, and usually this would not be a problem, hi output on a mobile isnt that much of a problem, but using this as a repeater tx, I am sure it will fry. Anybody got a fix for this. It puts out 17 watts, is rated for 12 and I would like to run more like 8.
John G

Post by John G »

There are two things I would suggest. First is to look at the band limits you have established in RSS. I can't say for sure, but I believe that if these are set too wide, say850-960 MHz, you will have more problems with controlling the power. I have noticed that the old tuning values had to be changed, but I have been able to control the power using the service part of RSS. The other is to break the controlled B+ line( the orange wire) and insert a variable voltage regulator. This way you set the power manually and it pretty much stays.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”