Mounting antennas on a peaked roof

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mavericknet
What radios do you own?: HT1250 VHF, CDM1550 UHF

Mounting antennas on a peaked roof

Post by mavericknet »

Anbod have some pictures/ideas of mounting antennas along the peak of a roof without using tripods. I'll put picture of the roof I have to work with tommorrow night. Thanks in advance. I need three UHF, one VHF, and one VHF-Lo.
Jim202

Re: Mounting antennas on a peaked roof

Post by Jim202 »

You dream allot with some kind of an antenna mount not using a tripod. Best thing you could do is to just start with a tower right from the ground. If your limited to no tripod mounts, there is no way short of a mast with 3 guy wires on each mount. Not what I would call practicle. It also creates a safety hazzard for anyone on the roof.

Just remember that when the wind blows, the antenna needs to stay there. You didn't say if this antenna farm was for just receiving or to be able to TX on it also. The low band antenna by itself is a large unit that requires some strong support.

Jim
mavericknet
What radios do you own?: HT1250 VHF, CDM1550 UHF

Currently

Post by mavericknet »

Currently our antennas are inside the attic of our old building, they are unity ground plane (I think) they're four metal rods shaped in a star like pattern with one sticking straight up. I would do the same approach in our new building.. except the roof is grounded metal...

These antennas are for recieve and transmit. I was thinking about running them down the peak of the roof, one antenna about every ten or so feet.. or just above where the outcropings are so they look somewhat decent.

Someone suggested I build an A frame inside the roof and run a pole up through the roof and then attached the mast to that. Any more comments/ suggestions, I'll try to get a picture as soon as I can, my camera's all flaky.

Putting up towers here is not easy, I live in a town that has a sign and clothes line ordinance, you can't have backlit/plastic/"ugly" signs they have to be wooden and you can't put a clothesline in your yard... Personally I'd like to get one of those towers on a trailer they've got sitting next to our water tower during it's reconstruction... I'm sure the town can't say anything about me parking a 100' tall "vehicle" next to our building...
Jim202

Re: Currently

Post by Jim202 »

Don't poke a hole in a metal roof. You will never keep it from leaking for any length of time. The metal roof and the antenna support are always moving. So far, I haven't seen any product last in sealing the rain out for more than about 6 months.

If I was in your shoes, I would look for another place to mount antennas.

Jim

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”