Remote dial up your MTR2000!

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MOEtorola
What radios do you own?: APX7000, All XTS and XTL

Remote dial up your MTR2000!

Post by MOEtorola »

Any body ever want to remote dial up 1,2 or more MTR2000's using the MTR2000 RSS? Its great for checking temp, VSWR, DIAGS, or even change the frequency. Just need modems, and for multiple MTR2K's A baytech serial switcher. Ill post more if anyone is interested.

Brian O'Dell N0ZSG
Tech/Eng
bnice

Post by bnice »

I'm interested. What's involved?
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by PETNRDX »

Me too....
MOEtorola
What radios do you own?: APX7000, All XTS and XTL

Post by MOEtorola »

First I'll apologize for taking so long to post, been busy with PM's on a smartnet system and csr on a Motient DSS-III, and other things. But I'm done know.LOL

Ok, with that, lets get down too it. First with the modems and the cable wiring. The MTR2000 only uses 3 wires to communicate with the CPS using X-on X-off, protocol .The the wires are TX,RX and Ground.(you can get the wiring off of this great site BATLABS) if memory serves me i think it is 8N and 1 @4800 baud. You can verify this by simply hooking up to your computer and running a program like hyperterm, and see if you get some intelligable characters when the station is rebooted. I have found that older modems work best, a motorola UDS modem is better. You will have to get to know how to use AT commands in the modems, My experience has been that not all modems AT commands mean the same thing from manufacturer to manufacturer.(so beware) First AT command you will need to tell your modem to stay online if DTR drops, next tell the modem to pass all X-on and X-off commands. Also turn all line quality responses off.
You already know that the MTR2000 RSS has no way to send modem commands, period(at least my version). I hope im not confusing ya all.
Usually what i do is go into hyperterm and dial the remote site number, and get the connection going. then you have to close out hyper term , and open the MTR2000 RSS, Hyperterm and the rss both will use the same com port but not at the same time. thats why you have to close out the hyper term. Typically a modem will go off line when you close hyperterm. This is why you will do the DTR change in the AT commands, to keep this from occuring. So your modem should not go of line.

If you did it right you should have a seemless connection between your computer and the mtr2000, as if you were sitting right beside the station, except remotely.

If you want to get fancy you dont have to use hyperterm at all, just set up autodial when DTR goes high and store you remote site number. Its even easier with a MOTOROLA modem.

I hope i didnt confuse anyone, it has been awhile since i set up this system, Except then, I had 5 mtr's and a baytech serial switcher.

Just ask ?'s
P.S. Ill try to post quicker.

Thanks Brian O'Dell

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”