Antenna Spacing Formula

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mrtor
What radios do you own?: Analogue, Digital x lots

Antenna Spacing Formula

Post by mrtor »

Good morning everyone

Is there a specific formula for working out antenna spacing ?
I have done a quick search here on the board and haven't come up with an answer specifically relating to the lower power stuff.

My situation is:

I have 2 duplex systems 5 watts in power, the transmit frequencies are both in the 472 mhz range, the receive in the 477 mhz range

What is the minimum distance I can mount the antennas near each other without causing problems..

Thanks
Michael
Nand

Post by Nand »

Try this Michael.

http://www.rfsolutions.com/rfcalc1.htm

The minimum distance should be around 25 feet vertical spacing on UHF at 5 Watts for 64 dB isolation.

Nand.
mrtor

Post by mrtor »

Nand wrote:Try this Michael.

http://www.rfsolutions.com/rfcalc1.htm

The minimum distance should be around 25 feet vertical spacing on UHF at 5 Watts for 64 dB isolation.

Nand.
Thank you once again kind sir, you are a wealth of information

Regards
Michael
RKG

Post by RKG »

Note that the "vertical spacing" referred to in this calc means perfectly coaxial configurations, i.e., the antennas must be EXACTLY above and below one another. If the axes of the two antennas are offset by any amount, the formula doesn't work.
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

You might also try and combine the RX's into one duplexer(if they are close enough in freq)them into one antenna, then put the other TX antenna, at about 10 feet below the first. A general rule is that 10 ft verticle separation equals roughly 100ft horizontal.
mrtor

Post by mrtor »

RADIOMAN2002 wrote:You might also try and combine the RX's into one duplexer(if they are close enough in freq)them into one antenna, then put the other TX antenna, at about 10 feet below the first. A general rule is that 10 ft verticle separation equals roughly 100ft horizontal.
That actually may be a better option for me, as the one point I forgot to make on the board in the first place was this is a PORTABLE situation on a customised trailer with 2 masts (1 front 1 back)

So I guess I now need to find a TX combiner and an RX combiner at a decent price !!!

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”