Rebroadcasting Paging to local channel from County channel

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rzq4x4

Rebroadcasting Paging to local channel from County channel

Post by rzq4x4 »

OK here is the situation: We currently use a 460 mhz channel for our Rescue Squad righ now our county tones out on 46 mhz and 453 mhz to the pagers. We have a old plectron hooked into our 460 repeater that receives 46 mhz and sends the call over the rescue squad repeater ( simlcast or multicast?) As of the first of next year the county is not supporting the 46 mhz frequency so all paging will be done on 453 mhz. We need a way to hook up a pager or radio so that we can receive the pages over the 460 mhz repeater. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Shouldn't be much of a problem to hook a UHF Maxtrac or similar radio to your repeater, to enable the 453 to go out over 460. it would help to know what type of repeater you have, we may be able to give more details that way.
Does anything besides paging take place on the 453 frequency? If so, you could set the Maxtrac to only key the repeater & pass the audio upon receiving the proper paging tones. If 453 is only used for paging, then you don't really need to worry about it & can leave the Maxtrac as CSQ.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
rzq4x4

Post by rzq4x4 »

We have a Kenwood TKR-820 Repeater we have tried the MAxtrac option but we have no way to turn off the constant alert tone after the radio alerts for two-tone and no way to reset the radio after about 30 seconds. The entire county is paged on the 453 channel so just listening to the channel is not an option. I forgot to mention the paging tones are two-tone format. Thanks.
wd9cms

Post by wd9cms »

One possible solution is avalible from Zetron the Model 19 http://www.zetron.com/pages/english/cusprpdf/7265.pdf .
You can use the Model19 with only one radio setup for 453 receive and the 460 repeaters input on transmit. This will recevie the tones on 453 and retransmit them on the repeater. This will only work if the 453 system is used for paging only. If the 453 system is used for voice communications then several changes will be required for the system to work. The 453 system will have to be programed for a PL tone which is used for paging only. This will allow you to program the radio which is hooked up to the Model 19 with the paging only PL. The only information which will be rebroadsast on 460 will be the paging tones and message.

Hope this helps......

Bill
Bill, WD9CMS
444.775 PL131.8/NAC293
927.900 PL131.9/NAC293
rzq4x4

Post by rzq4x4 »

WD9CMS the only problem with the zentron controller is the 453 frequency has the same PL for all the county paging 118.8. It is not possible to get the PL changed. What we need is something that will recieve the Two-tone paging alert ond 453 and when it alerts send the voice to the 460 repeater to be rebrodacast. Thanks
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

What you need is a reciever or aftermarker decoder that will auto-reset. They can auto-rest based on time or loss of carrier. After that condition takes place, the audio is muted. The Maxtrac doesn't do that???
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
wd9cms

Post by wd9cms »

It looks like the Model 19 comes in three versions and it looks like the thrid option will do just what you want. Selective Repeat only pages preprogramed two-tone signaling. With this option you will not have to change anything in your system. Just add one radio programed to receive the 453 system and transmit on the 460 system.

Bill
Bill, WD9CMS
444.775 PL131.8/NAC293
927.900 PL131.9/NAC293
rzq4x4

Post by rzq4x4 »

nmfire10 the maxtrac will do the quick call but it will not auto reset and when it receives a QCII call it sounds a call alert tone every 5 to 10 seconds over the speaker audio.
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

A CDM1250 will do the auto reset with no problem. I am using one in a very similar application.

Please note that a CDM750 will not decode QCII, so you would need at least a CDM1250 if you go with the Professional series.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

If all you want to do is repeat the initial page, the Model 19 would be a good idea. I read the document and basicly, it does this:

I recieved the two-tone page and begins recording the message. After the dispatch is complete, it replays the recording on you transmitter. Hook the recive end of things up the county channels. Hook the TX end of things up to your local base station. Done and done.

The only thing that might be mildly annoying is the delay. If you want the page to go over in real time, you will need a radio or seperate decoder connected like you have now that will auto-reset.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Yes, perhaps the Maxtrac was a poor choice to suggest on my part. The CDM 1250 should do it all nicely. We have also used the Zetron Model 19 to re-broadcast pages on the same frequency from different locations, effectively expanding paging coverage. In our case, the delay & re-page was no problem. Some people received the page twice, depending on where they were located, but they actually liked it that way, since it confirmed the Model 19 operation.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I have managed to get a maxtrac work for this by going back to grade school electronics lessons.

Program the maxtrac for selcall instead of call alert. This will get it to auto-reset when carrier is dropped. Program one pin on the maxtrac to go high when the selcall is received. Use that to trigger a 555 timer circuit or a timed latching relay to hold the monitor pin high for a predetermined length of time.

Takes about 15 minutes and less than $10 in parts. And with some creativity, it will work well in a repeater setup.
Quarterwave

Post by Quarterwave »

I like Bob's suggestion, you can do an aweful lot with just a Maxtrac and a box of parts. Been there, had to do that. In the dark sometimes.
I used Model 19's some years ago to do just this as well. We had a lot of FD's around the region that were coming out of the 50's into the 90's kicking and screaming no less, and getting multi-repeater 450 systems to replace the single freq low band 33mhz way of doing things. I did cross band repeats to UHF and to LB, LB simplex repeats, even DTMF activated cross band repeaters. Ahh, back in the day.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Model 19 has been dis-continued.
Something to do with a certain part is no longer available.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”