Which Spectra to buy?

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KD6SRI

Post by KD6SRI »

I am visiting the local swapmeet this Saturday and will be looking for a Spectra to convert to the 900MHz band. I have read a lot of the info at Batlabs and it has helped. However, they don't say which model number of Spectra to look for. I have read the Model Breakdown at http://www.batlabs.com/spectra.html and have some questions.

1. What is System Operation? (Position 5 of the model number) Do I stay away from the "G"(Trunking) models if I want to convert it to Ham?
2. What is Operational Mode? (Position 7 of the model number) Do I stay away from the "5"(Trunking) models if I want to convert it to Ham?
3. What is the best model for converting to 900MHz Repeater and Simplex operation?

For example, I was looking at a D37KGA5JC7DK, but the G and 5 indicate this is a Trunking model. Can this be changed within the RSS?

Thanks,
Adam Huber
KD6SRI-General
Hartley
Batboard $upporter

Post by Hartley »

Hi Adam,

If you find a 9th digit "A" (conventional), grab it! - they are rare. But the "B" (PP trunking) models will also do 128 conventional channels IF they are "F" rev (11th digit) or later: i.e., D37KGA5JB7FK. 11th digit "A" thru "E" will only do 10 conventional channels. I don't know about the "C" (Smartnet Trunking) types, however (like the model you cited). Perhaps someone else with experience can comment.

73 DE Hartley W1OQ

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hartley on 2002-03-28 15:04 ]</font>

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”