Motorola MDT 9100

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Motorola MDT 9100

Post by 7793 »

Hi can anyone give me a link or something for more info on the MDT9100? Can I recive data through a scanner then to the MDT? I dont want to transmit just recieve. Also if it is wired into the cars power, how do you turn it off without it draining the battery overnight? Any help will be thankful

7793 :D
2wayguru
Banned

Post by 2wayguru »

what flavor of 9100 do you have? right now I can tell you you can not use a scanner to decode data for your MDT... There are a lot of factors that you have to deal with. Here in one. What system does the MDT system you want to monitor use? Remember there are several. If it is a MDI System (Mobile Data International) AKA Motorola Data System, there are several different protocols that are used, older systems used a MDC4800, 9.6 RD-LAP and 19.2 RD-LAP. there was a very common protocol marketed my MDI called. MMP-4800. You have to know what model of 9100 terminal you have, they are -10,-11,20,-T and -386... You can PM me. I had a great site on MDTs till some hackers out of some African country hacked into my box and deleted and ruined everything! I have the server back up and running again and the new url is http://www.ag5ak.com. This is being updated slowly......

Check out http://www.ag5ak.com or http://www.cop-talk.com/forum for more MDT info.
Last edited by 2wayguru on Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The 2wayguru
Motorola Certified Service Technician, Mobile Data and Centracom Service Technician.
nc5p
What radios do you own?: XPR5550 XTL5000 XTS2500(V&U)

Post by nc5p »

There was a program floating around called mdtmon.exe that I believe just worked with MDC4800. You had to connect the sound card directly to the discriminator for it to work. I remember the government tried to get it squashed from web sites for a while. Some idiot on Long Island was streaming Nassau County PD onto a website for all to read.

Doug
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

MDT question

Post by spareparts »

I would like to use a MDT 9100-10 as a terminal only. No TX or RX.

Here's the application - I want to use it as a display for canned dispatach messages in a museum display. Unit is question does not have the RS232 port, only the I/O and radio ports.

Having the keyboard for for user interaction would be nice, but not critical. Any ideas on how to make this work?

Martin
kg4lmt

Post by kg4lmt »

I don't know much about the MDT9100. But you might want to try hard wiring a switch on the positive wire. At least you can turn off the power that way and save your car battery.
2wayguru
Banned

Post by 2wayguru »

If all you want to do is use it for display, run a 5 amp power supply to the rf deck, if it does not have an rf deck then you will have a white plug on the bottom of the terminal. If you need a plug i think I have one floating around here.

to turn the unit on you will hit the enter key. then when you want to turn it off, hit alt then enter and it will turn off...

A 9100-10 will not be that interactive. Since it is set for the old MDI perameters, the terminal will do nothing since it does not have a system for it to recieve. The terminal has to recieve a signal from the controller for you to really do anything with it. A 9100-11 will let you type messages and store them in a notepad for recall later.

If you want something just for use as a dumb terminal so you can type messages and not send them, go with a 9100-11. That will do what you need. It will even make nice beeps and alert noises.....
The 2wayguru
Motorola Certified Service Technician, Mobile Data and Centracom Service Technician.
swest

Post by swest »

Hello,
I have recently bought a MDT 9100-11. I had the original goal of a remote packet station. I honestly dont know much about these. Do they run some proprietary OS or is it a DOS? I dont plan to use the rf equip that it has since I wont be running it on 800mhz. Any information would be great. Thanks for the great information you guys give.

Shawn
2wayguru
Banned

Post by 2wayguru »

the 9100-11 will not run with packet, The -10's,-11's and -20's are programmed specific to the agency that is using them. They are nothing more then a dumb terminal. If you want something for ham packet you can go with a 9100-T or -386 using a PCMCIA hard drive or S-RAM card since the -T and -386 are actually PC's running a 386 processor.

The reason you need to use a S-RAM card or PCMCIA hard drive is because there is a onboard 4 meg ram chip that runs win 3.1 or 3.11 for workgroups and it is specific to the terminal.
The 2wayguru
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

The RF deck is attached (8200RF-800). Basically I am looking to use it as dumb ASCII terminal connected to a linux box. The linux box will take care of the screen formatting and periodically send a new screenful of info.

BTW, if I can intrepet the PF keys & map them to return a particular screen display, thats even better, although that's not a must have. I can take care of that on the Linux box, provided they send ASCII to the I/O port.

If you have a power connector, that would be a great help. Let me know what you want for it (PM me)

Martin
swest

Post by swest »

So I guess there isnt much I can do with the -11 then. I should have done some more research on that model, I thought they ran a dos like os. What are the availibility of the -T or -386 models?

Thanks
Shawn
2wayguru
Banned

Post by 2wayguru »

spareparts

If you want something that will have a rs232 connection and to communicate thru ascii then you would want to go with a 9100-11. That has a rs232 port and you can communicate and configure the terminal thru that port as well as send messages back and forth. But you will have to write your own software to work with it unless you have a controller and a host computer.
The 2wayguru
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

Sounds like a better idea using a 9100-11 rather then the 9100-10 I have. They are very similar cosmetically, likely no one could tell the difference.

BTW, With linux, I can quickly define a termcap file (maps non-standard terminals to something the system can understand). As long as the the physical interface is RS232 in some flavor, I can set up the software.

Martin
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

spareparts wrote:Sounds like a better idea using a 9100-11 rather then the 9100-10 I have. They are very similar cosmetically, likely no one could tell the difference.

BTW, With linux, I can quickly define a termcap file (maps non-standard terminals to something the system can understand). As long as the the physical interface is RS232 in some flavor, I can set up the software.

Martin
Once you get it setup I'd like to see that termcap file.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

KG6EAQ wrote:
spareparts wrote:Sounds like a better idea using a 9100-11 rather then the 9100-10 I have. They are very similar cosmetically, likely no one could tell the difference.

Martin
Once you get it setup I'd like to see that termcap file.
Sure! - Once I buy a 9100-11. I currently own a 9100-10 (which aparently won't work in my application)

Martin
2wayguru
Banned

Post by 2wayguru »

I have a spare 9100-11 + extras if your interested...
The 2wayguru
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

2wayguru wrote:I have a spare 9100-11 + extras if your interested...
Could you PM me with price & exactly what the extra's are?

Martin
2wayguru
Banned

Post by 2wayguru »

PM sent
The 2wayguru
FirstIF

Internal Battery for 9100-T

Post by FirstIF »

Anyone know the part number(s), or a source, for the internal battery of a Motorola 9100-T MDT? Is there only one internal battery in a 9100-T?

Thank you.
2wayguru
Banned

Post by 2wayguru »

unless I am wrong it the internal battery should be a little lithium battery. The 9100-T is a 386 CPU....
The 2wayguru
barlowguy

Post by barlowguy »

It has been a long time sense I have used a 9100 but if I remember correctly all you have to do to shut it off is Hold down the shift key and press enter. This should shut the unit down if you have a radio attached the radio may stay online I cant recall for sure.
Hope this helps.

Barlowguy

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”