900 MHZ Help

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

daveriffel
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: cp200/ht1000/Spectra/Saber

Post by daveriffel »

I am fairly new to ham radio particularly 900mhz( i usualy saty in 2 meter) but the local civil defense communications officer and i are consider a joint venture in ham 900 mhz. i need some info on coverage area/distance on which powers. we will be setting up on an antenna height of about 265 feet near our 2 meter system but i am really not familiar with 900 and need as much info as possible. you can email me directly with your info

Thanks
daveriffel
KC9AHS
Dave Riffel K9RIF
daveriffel@frontier.com
Motorola is not a choice it's a Lifestyle......
ARZ902

Post by ARZ902 »

900Mhz Ham is really different than 2 meters.
The coverage is more LOS, it works in places where you get a lot of bounces, but it can be useless if you go behind a rock or such. Also, it does not like vegetation or snow - thet signal gets absorbed like water in a sponge.
So, depending on terrian you may or may not be happy with the results.
RADIO_MAN

Post by RADIO_MAN »

Having been the first to put up a 900 Mhz Repeater system and introduce 900 Repeaters in the state where I live I can speak from experience. You cant even compair 900MHZ to 2 meters. 900 does not propagate as far as 2 meters and not to mention most of the gear availaible and easily useable is narrow band deviation. However if you put up a 900 repeater high on a tower with lots of visibility then you should not have any problems, however if you are trying to cover in canyons 900 will not work as well. I hope this helps.

R

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”