what is codeplug?

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

vasureddym
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

what is codeplug?

Post by vasureddym »

Hi all!
I'm new to radios.
Can some onme pls tell me what is code plug. My boss told me that Motorola's GM300 will be used in our new project. I came accross this term CODEPLUG when i'm browsing for GM300 radio modem.
any help will be appreciated
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

A codeplug is basically a program that's loaded into a radio and tells it what frequencies to transmit and receive, RF power output, carrier squelch/coded squelch, signalling modes, and whatever other features the specific radio might have you want enabled.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Back in the good old days, radios used crystals to control the frequencies, and sometimes had internal jumpers that were set for the various options. Some time later on, they moved the internal jumpers to a jack on the back of the radio. They configured plugs with wire jumpers in them that plugged into the jack to enable certain options. These became the original code plugs. Later on, more things were controlled by these code plugs, such as tone encode/decode selection.

As radios became microprocessor controlled, the external code plugs moved inside the radio as programming information. The term has, unfortunately, remained with us, although there's not much that still plugs in. The code plug contains the operating frequencies, tone selections, timeout values, system IDs, etc. In some instances, there's even some parts of the program itself in the code plug which defines a radio's personality. These days, the code plug is just a relatively small binary file that's managed by the RSS program and transferred to or from the radio via several proprietary means.

Bob M.
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

Outstanding explanation, Bob! You learn something new everyday! :cool:
vasureddym
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Post by vasureddym »

hi bob!
Thanks a lot bob for your reply.
i really learnt from u!
bye

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”