EF Johnson System Key

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mhodgson

EF Johnson System Key

Post by mhodgson »

I have recently bought a couple of the EF Johnson Digital SmartZone 5100 portables to check out on our state Motorola 4.1SZ system. I have however apparently run into an issue in that the EFJ software does not recognize the Motorola system keys. We have about 25 separate keys that have been provided by local system owners in addition to our own two keys. Can anyone shed any insight if there is a way to convert the Motorola key file into one that the EFJ program will recognize.

Any help appreciated. Reply to the list or email directly to: mhodgson@ncshp.org

Thanks

Mike
[/b]
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I cannot offer any help on conversion, but I would ask the system administrator for help on this one. If they wish to allow EFJ radios onto the system, they should ask EFJ for the system key. If EFJ wants to sell radios, they shouldn't have any problems with supplying a system key to the administrator for testing, loading, whatever.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

You also may want to try the 161.net website/fourm found below in my signature line. I have always been curious on how OTM radios were able to get onto the M systems..
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

wavetar wrote:I cannot offer any help on conversion, but I would ask the system administrator for help on this one. If they wish to allow EFJ radios onto the system, they should ask EFJ for the system key. If EFJ wants to sell radios, they shouldn't have any problems with supplying a system key to the administrator for testing, loading, whatever.

Todd
That's what I was thinking. He should contact the Johnson representitive that he purchased the radios from for some customer support. I would think that everything needed would be included in the programming package included with the radio(s) he purchased from johnson, then again maybe only Johnson can produce the key for the radio.
mhodgson

Johnson System Key

Post by mhodgson »

Indeed all of your comments are good, here is some more info:

I am this system administrator so can get EFJ to send me a key for MY two systems, however in NC we have a state/local group refered to as NCSUN that is our local MTUG chapter and we share keys. Technically I cannot ask them to make keys for someone elses system. We bought these two radios to go ahead and determine compatibity with the Motorola system so as to be ready to approve or disapprove users requests to use the equipment. I was curious to see if anyone had figured out how to drag the Motorola keys over.

Mike
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Re: Johnson System Key

Post by 10-95 »

mhodgson wrote:Indeed all of your comments are good, here is some more info:

I am this system administrator so can get EFJ to send me a key for MY two systems, however in NC we have a state/local group refered to as NCSUN that is our local MTUG chapter and we share keys. Technically I cannot ask them to make keys for someone elses system. We bought these two radios to go ahead and determine compatibity with the Motorola system so as to be ready to approve or disapprove users requests to use the equipment. I was curious to see if anyone had figured out how to drag the Motorola keys over.

Mike
Oh course the system administrator of the system you want keys for CAN send a request to EFJ for keys and can provide documentation that they want you on the system.
carbineone

Post by carbineone »

E-mail EF Johnson and they will e-mail you a request for system key form
to be filled out by system administrator. After they verify they will e-mail you the key.
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Johnson System Key

Post by wavetar »

mhodgson wrote:Indeed all of your comments are good, here is some more info:

Mike
Yep, I'd say get some official NCSUN letterhead to EFJ to obtain the keys you require. I've never seen an EFJ key, so I couldn't even tell you how similar or different they might appear. I don't recall anyone else posting ANY info on them, let alone how to convert them. If someone knows, perhaps they'll get a hold of you, but I think you'll have better luck going the 'official' route in this case.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
MtComm

EF Johnson System Key

Post by MtComm »

I am the EFJ dealer in the Washington, D.C. area. The EFJ Sytem keys are totally different from the Moto Keys and there is no conversion. EFJ has a form that you have to have the sytems manager for the system you want keys for complete and sign. I can send you the form since it is in Word. Your dealer or Sales rep should have worked with you to get the keys. Retlative to all of the other systems that you don't own, you might try writing a letter or e-mail to Larry Noss at EFJ and attach MOU's for the
other systems that you are authorized to operate on. Contact me by
e-mail and I will try to help you.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”