900MHZ Radio with a remote head...Which one?

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

EOppegaard

900MHZ Radio with a remote head...Which one?

Post by EOppegaard »

Hey guys, I am looking for a radio that can take the 900mhz ham bands and be remote head mounted. I know a spectra could do it, however was looking for a cheaper alternative...

Sugesstions?
Eric Oppegaard
Where's Oppie?
Big BOB

Post by Big BOB »

It can be done with the Maxtrac. There are some after market kits or you can make your own with some ribbon cable and crimp-on connectors.

Big BOB
EOppegaard

Post by EOppegaard »

Anyone know if it is hard to make a GTX into a remote head?
Eric Oppegaard
Where's Oppie?
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

The GTX head contains a lot of stuff, much more than a MaxTrac. The unit interfaces with the rest of the radio with a flex cable which is very thin and has no connectors on the end, similar to the one in the GTX portable. The connectors in the head and main radio just accept the end of the flex cable which is missing insulation. I would say that is impractical to make a longer cable, and as there are no connectors to work with, it would not be mechanically strong enough to handle remote mounting.

Bob M.
d119

Post by d119 »

I would highly suggest that if you can afford it, you consider one of the remote mount MCS-2000 900MHz mobiles. I have two Model I's (dash mount) MCS-2000's on 900MHz and they kick butt... Very nice radios. No mods needed (other than software band limits), and they are solid.
EOppegaard

Post by EOppegaard »

amm...thats a bit pricy... :o
Eric Oppegaard
Where's Oppie?
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

Eric-

Check your PM's...
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”