Laptop for CPS: Any experience with Panasonic Toughbooks?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Alan

Laptop for CPS: Any experience with Panasonic Toughbooks?

Post by Alan »

I am looking for a new standard for CPS programming. It is for the Windows based software such as:
ASTRO Spectra/XTS3000
CDM/HT professional series
CM200/300 series
MCS2000/MTS2000 (Windows)

I am presently using Toshiba Satellite 1800 (1 GHz Celeron machines) but have problems with durability. They take a beating in and out of vehicles.

I was looking at the Panasonic Toughbook CF-28. Around the 600 to 800 MHz speed. They still have good old serial ports. I would be looking for some low mileage used ones.

Anyone have direct experience with these or similar ruggedized laptops for Windows CPS programming?

Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
VE3TUH
What radios do you own?: more than I should...

laptop

Post by VE3TUH »

You are going to be in trouble if you cant keep a Toshiba in good shape. In my experience they are tougher than the Panasonics.

Randy
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

There was a good thread with many positive opinions a while back:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... +toughbook

Hope it helps,

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Post by fire_master_21 »

Todd,

that a bad link.

Information

The topic or post you requested does not exist

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
detblow

Post by detblow »

I use both the Panasonic Toughbook 48 and Toughbook 50 for my programming. Using a 28 is overkill in my opinion. The 48 and 50 work great and they are about $4k less than the 28. Both are now obsolete but they just came out with the 51 which I also like.

We have over sixty 48's, 50's, and 51's deployed in our department and have loved them. They hold up well and have a three year warranty.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

fire_master_21 wrote:Todd,

that a bad link.

Information

The topic or post you requested does not exist

Still comes up on my computer ok. Do a search for "panasonic and toughbook" (without the quotes) and you'll find the thread. It was started by nmfire & has 18 replies...that should make it easy to find.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

It's not coming up for me either and I remember the thread your talking. I did a search with my name and several variations of laptop, panasonic, toughbook, etc and nothing is coming up. WTF?
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Ah, I see the problem. It links to the defunct lounge forum, which apparently I can search...didn't even know that! Here's a few quotes from the thread in the meantime...
KG6EAQ wrote:I love all four of my Panasonic Toughbooks. I've abused these things to death. My M34 has survived many bangs while taking it up telephone poles. I've had them fall of ladders... drop off my tailgate/desk and never had a problem. Plus the warranty support on them is EXCELLENT. Screen went bad.. they next day aired me a box with a next day return on it. Three days after I sent it I had it back fixed. Can't argue with that!
motisking wrote:Panasonics are a good units. I have had a CF-25 for sometime with ZERO issues.

The Motorola ML900 laptop are top notch.

Does not look like your budget is going to allow for new top name brand units.

So look at these...

http://www.hyperdatadirect.com/product/ ... Laptop.htm

Saw the stuff at a trade show. Look good on the outside.
k4wtf wrote:I've got to say that the Toughbooks are the way to go. I just happen to have a bunch of them. How many do you need?

John
apco25 wrote:TOUGHBOOK

Motorola MW800 Family

Litton

there's several others - all nice

I prefer toughbook.
ricciticcitembo wrote:2 Toughbooks here, a CF-25 and a CF-47 and both are Super.
Bought them both As-is from Fleabay missing Drives/PS and broken.

Fixed them both, and I am MORE than Satisfied. In fact I learned all
about Toughbooks right here on the Batboard. Now I would buy no
other laptop. Panasonic Toughbook All the way!!!

The old CF-25 is the best one as far as ruggedness goes AFAIK.
motor59 wrote:I'm going to join the crowd - you cn't go wrong with a Toughbook.

Depending on your application's processing requirements, as well as your budget, if you can go the used/refurbished route you might be in good shape.

Theseguys aren't too far from you, and I've heard good things about them...YRMV.
Cowthief wrote:Hello.

I have 2 toughbooks, a CF17 and a CF34, both with the GSM radio option.
Both work excellent, and true to the name, are very tough.
Can get them for around 200 to 300, used of course.
/\/\y 2 cents wrote:Apple ibook G4 or even G3, they are built tough, not as tough as a toughbook, but better than any consumer PC notebook thats in your price range. Built in 802.11g, long battery life, light weight, fireWire, USB 2.0, AMAZING VIDEOCONFRENCING, runs windows if need be, fully interoperable with Microsoft office and most other need-to-have programs. You could have (2) brand new ones for $1900 and they would BLOW THE DOORS off of the PC's in your price range.....Just kidding, I don't think you guys would never swallow your hamsexy-ness for a look at what OS X and Apple computers are all about these days. Try-em, I think they would be sweet around your fire house, plus would give you something to do when not sliding down the pole to rush out the the next call for a 5 Mph collision.
Steve
Gerbil wrote:a ibook with a ruggedized case would actually be a pretty nifty idea for your usage.

i'm trying to look up the company that we bought our PDA cases from...

cause PDA's and EMS dont get ALONG.

tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

wavetar wrote:Ah, I see the problem. It links to the defunct lounge forum, which apparently I can search...didn't even know that! Here's a few quotes from the thread in the meantime...
Sounds to me like an excellent justification to leave the lounge accessible to members only, but locked. At least the mods/admins didn't flat out nuke quite a bit of valuable info.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

tvsjr wrote:
wavetar wrote:Ah, I see the problem. It links to the defunct lounge forum, which apparently I can search...didn't even know that! Here's a few quotes from the thread in the meantime...
Sounds to me like an excellent justification to leave the lounge accessible to members only, but locked. At least the mods/admins didn't flat out nuke quite a bit of valuable info.
I asked about that...or making it 'searchable'. I don't even know if it's possible, I have no experience with phpBB. In the meantime, anything we happen to run across in a search can be moved into general discussion. I don't know how often that'll happen...I do a lot of searches & it's the first time it's come up.

Todd

tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

wavetar wrote:
tvsjr wrote:
I asked about that...or making it 'searchable'. I don't even know if it's possible, I have no experience with phpBB. In the meantime, anything we happen to run across in a search can be moved into general discussion. I don't know how often that'll happen...I do a lot of searches & it's the first time it's come up.

Todd
I think John might be able to help out with a patch, if necessary. I know it's possible to allow the forum to be viewed, just locked - it was that way for several days before it disappeared from us lowly users altogether.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I have given the mods the blessing to move a topic out that they see fit as being worthy discussion.

I can make it appear, but remain locked, that's easy to do. However, I'm interested in moving this board into the future, and not dwelling on some of the stuff that went on in the lounge.

-Alex
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

alex wrote:I can make it appear, but remain locked, that's easy to do. However, I'm interested in moving this board into the future, and not dwelling on some of the stuff that went on in the lounge.
Understandable. But, we users can't search the Lounge and I doubt the mods are going to want to spend time searching for us.

Really, the people that had disagreements in the lounge remember them anyway. And, though it might have been, say, colorful at times, there *is* good data out there.

Of course, I'm threadjacking. Maybe split this out and see what the rest of the members think?
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

tvsjr wrote:Maybe split this out and see what the rest of the members think?
HAhahahahahahahahahahahahahah.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”