Radio Engraving, Most Common Method?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Radio Engraving, Most Common Method?

Post by kb0nly »

Hey all, just wondering, with all these used radios showing up with the engraving in them, what is the most common method, machine, whatever, used to do this?

For example, i have a couple HT600's with UNIT and a number neatly and cleanly engraved in. The lettering is so clean it must be some type of machine for this. I also see a lot of HT's on eBay with the CSX and stuff like that cut in.

I was just curious how its done, and if anyone knows how much it costs to have this done? I would like to do that with some personal radios to identify them.

Thanks..
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

The local award shop does them when I need it. They clamp the radio down, punch the text into the computer and hit enter. Not much longer... it's done, very clean engraving. Much better than with my sears security engraver!

I paid around $7 last time I had it done.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Engraving radios...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

And don't ever forget that God has a special place in Hell for people who do freehand engraving on radio cases and frames.

A pet peeve of mine, obviously.

To get up to speed on machine engraving, one of the manufacturers is a company called New Hermes.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Station House Products
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Station House Products »

The local guy here does it with a laser engraving machine for me and it runs about $10.00 a unit. He even backfills the engraving with white paint if I want.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Laser Engraving, hmmm, i think i know a place locally that does that! I wasn't aware that they were doing laser engraving on plastic. I know that place is always doing metal plaques and other metallic pieces.

I think i will ask them!
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

GMC

Post by GMC »

Hello,

A friend of mine just order a laser machine. Yes they even use the it for wood and leather also.......
The machine doesn't just do engraving it can produce 3-D images. Saw some samples he has pretty amazing........

Gary
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

The laser engraving looks rather impressive! I'm going to stop by a place on Monday and see what he can do. I have plenty of projects for him if reasonably priced.

transistor747
Batboard $upporter

engraving

Post by transistor747 »

Just a side comment, in case it matters to you.
/\/\otorola has said that if you engrave an intrinsically safe radio, the IS certification is void!

When I asked them about "their" rental units having been engraved, they said (exact quote) "we had them recertified after the engraving".

Yeah, sure.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

It never seems to stop with 'M'. Let me guess, they'll engrave your new radio for $46. per character if ordered as a factory option at time of purchase only. If you need this after the fact, sorry you'll have to buy a new radio and option it then. :lol: Wouldn't doubt it!
kmoose
Batboard $upporter

Re: Engraving radios...

Post by kmoose »

Tom in D.C. wrote:And don't ever forget that God has a special place in Hell for people who do freehand engraving on radio cases and frames.
One more bullet for my "resume", I guess. ;)
n0wmh

Post by n0wmh »

Personally I don’t have a problem with freehand engraving... I always viewed a radio as a tool to be used... it’s going to get scuffed, scratched, dinged and whatnot anyway, a few extra chicken scratches on it isn’t going to matter much. Many years ago I had a metal lettering set that I would heat up over a propane torch and melt the engraving into the case... looks a little better than freehand, but either way it makes tracking much easier.

Jack
kmoose
Batboard $upporter

Re: engraving

Post by kmoose »

transistor747 wrote:Just a side comment, in case it matters to you.
/\/\otorola has said that if you engrave an intrinsically safe radio, the IS certification is void!

When I asked them about "their" rental units having been engraved, they said (exact quote) "we had them recertified after the engraving".

Yeah, sure.
What M says means nothing...............it's what Factory Mutual says that matters.
mike m

Post by mike m »

The cheepos who use a soldering iron in a new radios case should definitely be drawn and quartered, I have a couple of Saber cases like this.

Mike
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

I've seen someone try to engrave a HT1000 with a soldering iron and :o it up quite severely. How they managed to put a hole in the case in the process is quite beyond me.
Crimestopper

We engrave

Post by Crimestopper »

We engrave all of our portables inside and out, as well as our batteries. We use a local award trophy shop. The cost is around $1.50 each with two full lines of engraving. They also backfill the lettering and numbers with white. It looks great and keeps loss and theft down. It sucks when you spend $10,000 in batteries for your rental fleet and find that half the batteries come back from rentals and sub rentals with old batteries from the customers and other companies. On the inside of the radio it is done very nice and light on the chasis. We thought about getting a engraving machine but the cost was over $5,000.00. Not worth it unless I want to get into the business of engraving.

Just my thoughts....

Crimestopper
Big BOB

Post by Big BOB »

How about water jet engraving? Ha Ha!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”