Question about X9000

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Charlied
What radios do you own?: MTS2000

Question about X9000

Post by Charlied »

I've been checking out some of the X9000 and I have one thing to say:

I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!

What head unit works with what radio that can be converted to do what!!!!!

I think I would like a unit that has the small head with alpha tagging and the radio that will hold at least 32 channels (modes?) (prefer 64).
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

X9000 will not take the small head. They're limited to the 3.5" tall control head.

If you want the small control head, you want a Spectra. But a Spectra isn't half the ham rig an X9000 is, IMO.

You may have been confused regarding the nomenclature of the heads. There is a radio known as the Syntor X9000, the predecessor to the Spectra. The control head (the big, 11-character, full keypad control head) was carried over to the Spectra line, where it was known as an X9000 control head.

Spectra w/ X9000 control head != Syntor X9000.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

uhh, no.

the spectra radio with the x9000 "style" control head would be referred to as a "SYSTEMS 9000" spectra - or more properly, an A9/B9/C9/W9 radio depending on which model spectra it is mated with.

all variants of the Syntor x9000 radio utilize the large Systems 9000 control head. Keep in mind there were conventional and trunking x9000's... (usually x9000E's) - but not always.

The older heads (HCN1033/HCN1045) are not compatible with spectra, although i have seen spectras with HCN1063 (yes - HCN 1063) control heads...which can be "blanked" and re-init'd as either spectra or syntor x9000 heads.

go to http://www.open.org/~blenderm

he's got the full blown story on the syntor / spectra

this gives me a headache.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
tvsjr

Re: ...

Post by tvsjr »

batdude wrote:uhh, no.

the spectra radio with the x9000 "style" control head would be referred to as a "SYSTEMS 9000" spectra - or more properly, an A9/B9/C9/W9 radio depending on which model spectra it is mated with.
Ahh, yes, but in the software, the head type is called X9000. And, you can install a small A7-style control head (or an A4, or an A3) on an A9 deck by changing the control head type (standard, enhanced, rotary, X9000, etc.)

I'd like to meet the individual who came up with the naming conventions for the Syntor/X9000 conventional/X9000 trunking/X9000E/Spectra/etc. boondoggle. It blows the mind. :evil:
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

I'd like to meet the individual who came up with the naming conventions for the Syntor/X9000 conventional/X9000 trunking/X9000E/Spectra/etc. boondoggle. It blows the mind
yeah, i'd like to kick him in the junk too.

and whoever decided that site equipment (like quantar and mtr2000) should have generic T#'s should get in the same line.

nothing like seeing a nice quantar...T5365

and not knowing the bandsplit w/o pulling a module or reading the damn thing.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

batdude wrote:
I'd like to meet the individual who came up with the naming conventions for the Syntor/X9000 conventional/X9000 trunking/X9000E/Spectra/etc. boondoggle. It blows the mind
yeah, i'd like to kick him in the junk too.

and whoever decided that site equipment (like quantar and mtr2000) should have generic T#'s should get in the same line.

nothing like seeing a nice quantar...T5365

and not knowing the bandsplit w/o pulling a module or reading the damn thing.

doug
Some of us don't have that kind of spare cash. We have to make less lofty comparisons... like finding a good price on a Saber, but not being able to identify the bandsplit without pulling it apart or reading it. :D

I like the Toughbook model numbers. The unit may be a CF-28, but you can tell from the suffix (if you have/know the cheat sheat) exactly what options were installed on that unit from the factory, etc. Makes a lot better sense.

Even if there was some reason to keep the model number more generic, how about an option string?

Here I go again, trying to make sense of Mother. Tilting at windmills and all.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

I have to agree with that. What ever happened to the good old Mocom , Mitrek, and Micor-era model numbers. A good tech, hell, even a half-a$$ed one, can read those numbers like a book.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
Greg Carttar
What radios do you own?: MTRs, HTs, CDMs, digitacs,

X9000 confusion

Post by Greg Carttar »

OK, I'll make my maiden voyage here on the X9000.

Great Radio, very flexible and therefore very complicated with lots of options. Got lots of 'em in service with a wide variety of options. The software is a blunderbus and buggy, but when you get to know it you can deal with it.

1033, 1036, 1045 heads are basically the same except that 1036's often have 64 mode chips in them, but not always; the 1045 is a 1033 without the keypad escutcheon and buttons. It can be converted to a 1033 by ordering a new escutcheon (it's a sticker) and adding the buttons for the keypad.

Stock 1066's and 1073's are basically incompatible with the X9000, but can be hacked if you want to go to the trouble.

The 1033 can be upgraded to a 1036 (64 modes) by changing the memory chip and a jumper, as can the 1045.

The radio (T71 (loband), T73 (VHF), and T74 (UHF) can also be upgraded to 64 modes by changing the memory chip and a jumper.

I have successfully programmed a 1055 for use with an X9000. The method is on the X9000 site referenced in another reply.

These heads are generically referred to as Systems 9000 heads, and are the only head option for the X9000. They contain memory that holds the mode names and button configurations. (The compact Spectra head on the other hand gets the mode names sent to it from the radio).

They are incorrectly (usually on eBay) referred to as A9 Heads. A9 only is applicable when speaking of a Systems 9000 Spectra.

There is a trunked Syntor X9000 (NOT the 9000e) that is totally incompatible with conventional X9000's. The head model is a 1032 and it's useless. EXCEPT that you can pull the prom out of it and put it in a 1033 for 64 mode operation. If you can get one for a buck its worth it for the chip.

(You can, BTW, take a 800mhz 9000e and put a conventional firmware chip in it and have a conventional 800nhz radio.)

Some Spectras will also support a System 9000 head, the correct model numbers were previously posted.

If you want to use some of the sexier physical options on the X9000 such as VRS and DEKs, you have to have a 64 mode head.

Read and study Mike Blenderman's X9000 site....it's the bible.

Best Regards.
Charlied

Post by Charlied »

You guy's are sharp, no doubt about it.

BUT,

Please narrow it down for me.

Like Mark Twain said, "We're all ignorant, just about different things".
ONE of these "things" for me is this radio.

I would like a radio that has a control head with the Alpha/Numeric display (I have a bad memory), 64 channels (64 modes?) at least, as much wattage as I can afford.

What model number radio and control head?
Greg Carttar

X9000 confusion

Post by Greg Carttar »

What band? Loband, Vhf, or UHF?
Charlied

Post by Charlied »

Sorry, I missed that.

VHF
Greg Carttar

X9000 confusion

Post by Greg Carttar »

Head:

(I mispoke earlier....the head without keypad buttons is a 1041)

HCN1033 usually 32 mode (channel) upgradable to 64 modes
HCN1036 usually but not always 64 mode (channel)
HCN1041 usually 32 mode, does not have keypad buttons, but they can be added. Can be upgraded to 64 modes.

Radio:
T73KXJ7J04BK (secure capable, can be disabled)
T73KEJ7J04BK (non-secure)
either of these will be 110 Watts.

Most of the radios you will find on eBay will be 32 mode radios, they can be upgraded.

If you want to add a siren, you'll not want a 1041 head unless you add the buttons...you won't be able to run the siren.

Watch out for anything with an SP number following the model number, especially an SP99...no transmitter.

There ya go.

Best Bet? 1033 "C" or "D" head and T73KEJ radio, have somebody do the eeprom update for you.

Since this was a $3000+ radio in its time, don't kick too hard if you can find one that somebody will set up for you and promise no DOA for $200-$300 complete without options. Make sure you get the head and bracket, speaker and bracket, control cable, and mic. Make sure you ground the mic clip.

When you install it, make sure that you run the red power wire to the battery, and that you ground the black power wire to the vehicle frame (body), NOT to the battery. The orange and green wires from the control head connector either go to ignition switch or to hot, depending on whether you want it to come on with the ignition or be switchable independent of the ignition.

Best,

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”