Secure Saber II convert to III using a non secure III

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Motoman
What radios do you own?: XTS3000 III, MTS2000 III,

Secure Saber II convert to III using a non secure III

Post by Motoman »

I've got a Saber III non-secure, and i'm wondering can i convert a Saber II secure but replacing the front shield with my non-secure III front sheild? thanks.
Motoman at your service!
n9upc

Post by n9upc »

Correct me if I am wrong but is a secure housing longer then a non-secure housing???
" ah the fatman made a funny!" - Stewie from the family guy.

I went to the doctor and all he did was just suck blood. Never go to Dr Acula - M. Hedberg
AEC
No Longer Registered

Saber III replacement front shield to secure Saber II front.

Post by AEC »

Sure, get a hammer and beat the shield into the secure housing and close it up, OR, get a blank secure front shield and fit your display/memory board onto that one.

If you use a non-secure front, it will cause problems with the speaker location and the DTMF pad, resulting in poor audio quality, and non-functioning tones, or improper tones with key presses, but will also provide POOR R.F shielding and possible shorting out the memory board.

Swapping a Saber III front into a Saber II radio gets you this:

What you'll get is a DTMF front shield that you can only use the top three buttons, but aside from losing DTMF, you'll still have 120 channels available, but you will also have to keep hitting the [MODE[ button to scroll through all the zones.

Simply go into your RSS and disable DTMF/MTI in F4 menu(dumb down).
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

S3 conversion

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Putting an S3 case on a 120-channel S2 gets you an S3. Usually the 120-channel S2 has a full keypad already installed, including the 8K memory.

The procedure is described on Batlabs.com and it works because I did it once. The radio I did it to is now owned by 10-95. The 120-channel S2 already has everything you need except for the S3 case. If you have a 48-channel S2 then you have to change the shield.

Again, read the Batlabs info on the Saber; it's all there.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Re: S3 conversion

Post by 10-95 »

Tom in D.C. wrote:Putting an S3 case on a 120-channel S2 gets you an S3. Usually the 120-channel S2 has a full keypad already installed, including the 8K memory.

The procedure is described on Batlabs.com and it works because I did it once. The radio I did it to is now owned by 10-95. The 120-channel S2 already has everything you need except for the S3 case. If you have a 48-channel S2 then you have to change the shield.

Again, read the Batlabs info on the Saber; it's all there.

Yes, I do currently own that Saber Tom modified and it's working quite nicely and looks great, unless someone told you you'd never know it started life as a Saber 3.

Frank
Microwave Mike

convertion

Post by Microwave Mike »

The non-secure, short, front display case WILL fit on a secure radio.
It will end next to the top of the secure module. Just be careful putting the radio in it's case.

Enjoy your new features.

mm
Microwave Mike

convertion

Post by Microwave Mike »

The non-secure, short, front display case WILL fit on a secure radio.
It will end next to the top of the secure module. Just be careful putting the radio in it's case.

Enjoy your new features.

mm
10-95

Re: convertion

Post by 10-95 »

Microwave Mike wrote:The non-secure, short, front display case WILL fit on a secure radio.

Enjoy your new features.

mm
Better yet, just swap the eeproms, they can be removed from the front sheild.

Frank
Microwave Mike

convertion

Post by Microwave Mike »

The board can be removed, but the double stick tape WILL stress the circuit board on removal. Not a good idea on four layer boards.

mm
10-95

Re: convertion

Post by 10-95 »

Microwave Mike wrote:The board can be removed, but the double stick tape WILL stress the circuit board on removal. Not a good idea on four layer boards.

mm
A little heating on it does wonders before pulling it off. I've removed and transplanted about 10 or so now with no problems. I guess it's all with what you feel comfortable with.

Frank

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”