Looking for recomendations for new service monitor

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Alan

Looking for recomendations for new service monitor

Post by Alan »

I am looking at a new service monitor. Something in the $12,000 to $15,000US price range.
What is your favorite current model ?

Ones that I am looking at include the General Dynamics 2590, 2670. Also the IFR COM120B.
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:
My company is very satisfied with our IFR 2975.
I would look very carefully at the IFR models.
Aloha, Bernie
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

I currently use the IFR COM-120C and just got a new General Dynamics R2590. Don't know what you are testing (conventional, trunking LTR, Mot, EDACS, P25, ETC...) so there is a lot of differences between all of those you listed. I've had the 2590 for 5 months or so and I really like it. Very compact and accurate. Use the COM 120C on the bench with automated EDACS radio tests...works fine as well but it has been back to Aeroflex 3 times in 1 year for different things, all under warranty. Don't know what the issue with that is. It doesn't go mobile. Still though, it is a very flexable box depending on the options. 2590 is limited in options but if you're doing LTR or conventional, it will be fine.

In my previous shop, I used the Motorola 2670....I really liked that. did everything we needed and more.

Guess it will come down to what you really need to test and the option set for each unit that is available...

Dave
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

bernie wrote:My two bits worth:
My company is very satisfied with our IFR 2975.
I would look very carefully at the IFR models.
Ahem.

That's "Aeroflex" models. ;)

And for the price range quoted, he may want to check out the (formerly Marconi Instruments) 294x and 295x models as well.

The 2975 is out of the range he quoted (especially if you option it up), so it may not be an option for him.

Of course, I am biased as hell, so I recommend he buy either of my children - the COM-120 or the 2975.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
kmoose
Batboard $upporter

Post by kmoose »

Wowbagger wrote:Ahem.

That's "Aeroflex" models. ;)
Ahem.

It says "IFR2975" on mine. ;)

I am biased, as well, but not in the same way. We have been using IFR products for years, and I wouldn't recommend anyone but them. Based on our experience, that is. (1000S, 1500, 2975, ATC-600, ATC-601, NAV-401L)
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

kmoose wrote: It says "IFR2975" on mine. ;)
That is in the process of changing - Aeroflex is trying to move away from the IFR name and move everything we make to the Aeroflex name.

Personally, I think throwing away thirty years of name recognition is silly, but I don't have a "C" at the beginning of my job title....

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:
My bad.
I hope that I havn't offended any one at Aeroflex, I was under the impression that it was IFR made by Aeroflex, like Cadillac is made by GM.

In any case some things acquire their names by general usage, reguardless of the actual manufacturer such as:
The cold box that you keep beer in =Frigidare
Clean the floor with=Hoover
Call Head quarters with your=Motorola
Test your Motorola with=IFR
In any case it is a fine unit.
Aloha, Bernie
Alan

Post by Alan »

Thanks for the reply's.

I was told by the Canadian distributor that the COM120 has been cancelled.
Maybe Wowbagger can confirm this.

I have a 2670 optioned out for SmartZone and Astro, so this is a more basic field unit. Portability is key. Something like an IFR 1200S replacement (or is that an Aeroflex 1200S).

The General Dynamics R2590 was one that I was most interested in.

Wowbagger: can you advise the closest Aeroflex model to this so I can look at that product.

Thanks again.
kmoose
Batboard $upporter

Post by kmoose »

Any minute now, Cowthief will come in and give us all the entire history of IFR/Aeroflex, to include all the "black projects" that they perform for the Federal Government. He will also tell us about how the San Antonio radio system is screwed up, because they did not listen to him, when he told them to use some IFR/Aeroflex product. This was due to politics, you see. Then, he will rant on about actually be the first man on the moon or something. Everything can be verified by calling the CIA Information desk. They are well aware of him.

;)
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Alan wrote: I was told by the Canadian distributor that the COM120 has been cancelled.
Maybe Wowbagger can confirm this.
No, but I can deny this. The COM-120B is no longer being made, but the COM-120C is. The 120C is just a 120B with a different display - an LCD display like the 1900 and the 2975 have. Otherwise it is the same unit.

I just had to help production out on an issue of a build of 20 units.
Alan wrote: I have a 2670 optioned out for SmartZone and Astro, so this is a more basic field unit. Portability is key. Something like an IFR 1200S replacement (or is that an Aeroflex 1200S).
Wowbagger: can you advise the closest Aeroflex model to this so I can look at that product.
That would be something in the 294* family

Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

kmoose wrote:Any minute now, Cowthief will come in and give us all the entire history of IFR/Aeroflex, to include all the "black projects" that they perform for the Federal Government. He will also tell us about how the San Antonio radio system is screwed up, because they did not listen to him, when he told them to use some IFR/Aeroflex product. This was due to politics, you see. Then, he will rant on about actually be the first man on the moon or something. Everything can be verified by calling the CIA Information desk. They are well aware of him.

;)
Oh, that would be funny!

Who would you poor Batlabbers believe? Cowthief or Wowbagger?

Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

bernie wrote:My two bits worth:
My bad.
I hope that I havn't offended any one at Aeroflex, I was under the impression that it was IFR made by Aeroflex, like Cadillac is made by GM.
No problem. IFR was bought by Aeroflex, lock stock and barrel, a couple of years ago. And IFR bought Marconi instruments a few years before that.

Equipment designed and released during the transition (like the 2975) kept the "IFR" in the model name, but are properly known as "the Aeroflex IFR-2975".

Gear currently in the design phase will get the Aeroflex name.

So, if you are referring to the set of equipment designed by The Company Formerly Known As IFR, you should say "Aeroflex".

And if YOU think that's confusing - imagine being in charge of how the equipment identifies itself in the copyright messages!

Fun Fun Fun.

Microwave Mike

Post by Microwave Mike »

What's in a name. HP.....Agilent
Having used HP, IFR, And Motorola...uh...errr...General Dynamics,
I would have to go with the IFR/Aeroflex brand.

My 2 pence worth.

mm
Will

Post by Will »

I still can remember the day I got my own (to use--still company owned) IFR1000S or as we call them an IF'er. I have used or owned IFR ever since, even when I worked for Motorola, my IFR500 was right there too.

I have two IFR500A's and love them.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Thanks for all the input.
I understand that the Aeroflex (Marconi) 294* series are made in England. I have have some comments of extended repair time due to parts availability.
Anyone else have info on this series?
Thanks, Alan
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Alan wrote:Thanks for all the input.
I understand that the Aeroflex (Marconi) 294* series are made in England. I have have some comments of extended repair time due to parts availability.
Anyone else have info on this series?
Thanks, Alan
They may be made in England, but for US owners the repair shop is about 30 meters from where I sit, i.e. here in Wichita KS.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”