GMRS Frequencies

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

VE3TUH
What radios do you own?: more than I should...

GMRS Frequencies

Post by VE3TUH »

Hi All. I could be wrong, but it looks like the GMRS frequencies have been allocated in such a way as to allow for repeater operation. Does anybody know if that is true, and if so, has anybody seen any GMRS portables that will allow repeater operation? If so, I am interested in make/model. None of the cheapies that I have seen in the stores are set up for repeaters, only simplex.

Thanks,

Randy
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

Up here in VE land we're not allowed to run GMRS repeaters -- yet. So that's why anything you've seen in the stores only allows simplex operation.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

South of the borber, yes you can use repeaters. You can use any UHF portable radio for GMRS (within type aceptance), you don't need to buy a POS walmart radio. In fact, most of the blister-pack cheezy radios don't do repeater splits.
Last edited by nmfire10 on Sun May 08, 2005 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Splat

Post by Splat »

Go to http://www.popularwireless.com for good gmrs info.
VA3XDJ
was orbit303

Post by VA3XDJ »

As soon as repeaters are legal here, I'll be setting up 2 radios and a rick at a 500' elevation here that covers most of Ottawa and Gatineau :)

Mike
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

VE2XDJ wrote:As soon as repeaters are legal here, I'll be setting up 2 radios and a rick at a 500' elevation here that covers most of Ottawa and Gatineau :)

Mike
That kinda pisses me off.

Here in the US we're "forced" (well nobody enforces it... stupid government) to pay $85 for a license lasting 5 years to use GMRS... and we can use 50 watts and any radio certified for Part 90 operation on the primary frequencies and 5 watts ERP on those shared with FRS.

But, anywhere within 100 miles or so of Canada, we can't use 462/7.650 and .700! But, the canadian equivalent of the FCC merrily acknowledges GMRS as a license-free service with some, what? 30 frequencies? which include all repeater inputs and outputs for US. GMRS. I think that's bogus and upsetting.

Will I renew in 2006? Nope. It's not worth it.

-Josh
VE3TUH

GMRS

Post by VE3TUH »

Well, I am still looking for some blister-pac cheapies that will do repeater, make/model if anybody knows, and who sells them.

Thanks,

Randy
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I just looked at the Canadian GMRS Regs (RSS-210 Issue 5 Amd 4) and I see that they are limited to 2W and must be narrow band. The US restriction on 650 and 700 is supposed to be to protect Canadian 12.5KHz adjacent channels since we can still use wideband in the US. So maybe there is some logic to Canada allowing their users 2W narrow band while objecting to US 50W wideband near the border.

I see RSS-210 prohibits simplex operation on the 467 side of the frequency pairs for possible future repeater use. It does not say that repeaters will be authorized. It only says "possible". I think this is to be consistent with the similar US prohibition on these frequencies due to actual repeater use.
k2hz

Re: GMRS

Post by k2hz »

VE3TUH wrote:Well, I am still looking for some blister-pac cheapies that will do repeater, make/model if anybody knows, and who sells them.

Thanks,

Randy
I don't believe any of the "cheapies" will do repeater operation. You need to use a regular commercial type radio.
mmckenna
What radios do you own?: AM/FM with 8 track.

Post by mmckenna »

I can't remember the exact model number, but one of the cheapie Motorola GMRS radios will do repeater splits. I think it was something in the 7000 model number range. Not sure if it is still produced or not.

Not sure if it is sold up there, as it probably does not meet specs with the repeater capability.

.650 and .700 were not allowed near the Canadian border because they had some allocations there that the FCC was trying to help protect. Canada moved those services out when they built the Canadian GMRS service. Unfortunatly, FCC has not updated their rules yet.
"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from."
VA3XDJ
was orbit303

Post by VA3XDJ »

Canadian GMRS units have 22 channels and 38 tones. Some now have 99 DCS tones as well.

462.5625 - 462.7125 at max 2w
467.5625 - 467.7125 at max .5w
462.5500 - 462.7250 at max 2w

All must be narrowband and my guess is that they eventually plan to allow GMRS repeaters but with the small budget they run I doubt they want to because of the licensing and enforcement issues that would soon arise.

Most likely trying to avoid an 11 meter situation from happening again.

Mind you, I know quite a few people who run wideband and anywhere from 5-25 watts on these channels and no one seems to be complaining.

One thing that does make it unappealing is the amount of trash talking kids and teens looking to cause trouble at any chance they get and Motorola giving em FRS/GMRS radios that scan channels AND tones doesn't help.

Nonetheless, when/if it becomes legal, I'll get the license and have a nice 10 watt repeater made out of two maxtracs and rick with a 5/8 base conversion kit at a good 500' above avg terrain level here ready to go on 462.675 with 141.3Hz PL

Ahhhhhh can't wait!

Mike
VA3XDJ
was orbit303

Post by VA3XDJ »

Oh,

And I think I've only seen Kenwood FRS radios 'Freetalk' or some silly name like 'ProTalk' do the repeater splits and only available in the states...or maybe eBay

Mike
va3wxm

Post by va3wxm »

VE2XDJ wrote:Mind you, I know quite a few people who run wideband and anywhere from 5-25 watts on these channels and no one seems to be complaining.
Well... there was that time I fired up my Saber.... :D

There are quite a few bootleggers around my area running REALLY high power (75+ watts) on the FRS channels.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

T7200 and repeaters.

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

The T7200 can indeed do repeater offsets.
http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/Q ... anual.html
VA3XDJ
was orbit303

Post by VA3XDJ »

Heheh

When I went for a job interview in Toronto on my first and only trip there I brought a T6300 with channel/tone scan.

Lets just say that atop the parking lot on the roof of the Eaton Center(?) I had fun doing DX and annoying the Eaton's Loss Prevention Team who happened to be on FRS Channel 1!

Anyway, back to this repeater business. If Industry Canada wasn't planning on eventually allowing repeaters, why else would they limit power on the 467 frequencies to .5 watt? How about why they didn't include the GMRS 467 inputs as regular channels?

Its only a matter of time...;)
VE3TUH

freqs

Post by VE3TUH »

Thanks, Cowthief, that was the info I was looking for.

Randy
Will

Post by Will »

va3wxm wrote:
VE2XDJ wrote:Mind you, I know quite a few people who run wideband and anywhere from 5-25 watts on these channels and no one seems to be complaining.
Well... there was that time I fired up my Saber.... :D

There are quite a few bootleggers around my area running REALLY high power (75+ watts) on the FRS channels.
Well, there is a guy in Los Angeles County who now owes the FCC $11,000. He did just that an thaught he could get away with it, NOT...
train_radio_guy

MURS / FRS / GMRS

Post by train_radio_guy »

Long before the Wally Worlds & Rat Shacks were peddling VHF & UHF radios, people were 'free-banding'. In our area alone, you'll find many individuals running illegally (unlicensed & +50 watts) on several of the MURS, FRS, GMRS, marine, & low-power itinerant channels. As long as there are easily obtained radios that can be retuned on the fly to any frequency, there will always be a few 'loose strings' out there. Like it or not, it's a fact of life in the world of radio.
NikolaTesla

GMRS freqs

Post by NikolaTesla »

can you say "GP68" ? Channels on the fly....
How about a Super Station Master at 350', 250 watts on FRS channel?
The NEW CB is here! :evil:
NikolaTesla

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”