Bypass module for Motorola Spectras?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

deitra

Bypass module for Motorola Spectras?

Post by deitra »

Is there any such thing as a bypass module, or bridge, or patch, or cables that will allow common use of Motorola Spectras that have been configured for secure net? I have read discussions on this forum of enabling "common" use, but as a novice I'm not sure I could follow the instructions. Or how about a fee for this service? at least to show me how?
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Re: Bypass module for Motorola Spectras?

Post by kc7gr »

deitra wrote:Is there any such thing as a bypass module, or bridge, or patch, or cables that will allow common use of Motorola Spectras that have been configured for secure net? I have read discussions on this forum of enabling "common" use, but as a novice I'm not sure I could follow the instructions. Or how about a fee for this service? at least to show me how?
No such module or cable is necessary. If your particular Spectra is equipped for SecureNet operation (SecureNet carrier board installed), all you need to do is remove the board and disable SecureNet functionality through the RSS.

Same thing applies if your radio doesn't have the module installed. Just make sure SecureNet isn't enabled.

Keep the peace(es).
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

The only radios that I am aware of that has the Bypass Module requirement would be the analog Sabers and Systems Sabers that were secure capable. Granted all it did was put a jumper between 2 pins, but it was required if you did not have a secure module in the radio.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
deitra

Post by deitra »

These were purchased used "as is" from GSA, a Government Site for Auctions, and did not include the secure boxes or RSS.
deitra

Post by deitra »

Any suggestions?
Deitra
VE3TUH
What radios do you own?: more than I should...

Spectra securenet

Post by VE3TUH »

As KC7GR already posted above, just disable the option with RSS, Radio Service Software. If you dont have the software, you will have to buy it, or acquire it, or take the radios to a dealer with the RSS to disable the option for you. Its very simple, really.

Randy
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Do you mean you need to get a unit working without an external secure box and you don't have the ability to reprogram it to disable secure?

If so, it probably isn't going to happen. The radios talk to the external boxes on the data bus line and error when they are missing.

mancow
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

What Mancow has stated can be worded a little different. I have not been able to get around the RSS programming to shut off the secure box without the secure box being connected.

If anyone has done this, please let the board know the steps needed to be taken to do this. It is a pain to try and locate a secure box and the cables needed just to shut it off in the RSS.

Jim

[quote="mancow"]Do you mean you need to get a unit working without an external secure box and you don't have the ability to reprogram it to disable secure?

If so, it probably isn't going to happen. The radios talk to the external boxes on the data bus line and error when they are missing.

mancow[/quote]
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Secure box.

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

So, what you need is the secure box, Correct?
I would recommend you contact a Motorola MSS.
Failing that, I have the secure unit, if you are in Houston Texas.
I do not ship crypto.
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Good luck finding an ASN at an MRSS anywhere.

I completely stumped them just by asking to have a saber III programmed and that was years ago when they were selling at the same used price as astros do now.

Check on ebay or around here. I tend to hoard as many as I can for future replacements.

mancow
ArmsonOeg

Post by ArmsonOeg »

I have done this. Had the error code then i dumped a identical CP in and it was fine..........Its been over a year now, i dont know the exact sequence but it wasn't much. I think i just dumped in a CP to it.

But ive done a lot of stuff using R6.0.15

The radio is in use now as my base.

G

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”