A4 Spectra, Zone capable????

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wes

A4 Spectra, Zone capable????

Post by Wes »

Does anyone know if you can do "zones" in an A4 Spectra VHF? Can you assign it to the up/down arrow keys above the mode select knob? If not, what are these keys for???

Thanks in advance.

Wes
Wes Hutchens
911 Telecommunicator/2-Way Sales & Service
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

I have mine set up that way, believe you need firmware about 6.00 for zones.
redbeard
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Yaesu

Post by redbeard »

My VHF A4 is v6.15 and it does zones but i've never had a Rotary head to tell you how to set it up. For what its worth though I had an A5 on mine for awhile and used the 'EMER' button as a Zone UP key heh.
Look, it's not in my nature to be mysterious. But I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why.
wx4cbh

Post by wx4cbh »

As stated above, if the firmware permits it, yes. Read the radio, then go to the Radio-wide Configuration screen (F2) and look for Zone Config. The software will either tell you whether or not the firmware will operate as such when you try to enable zones, or it will read "not available" in that field to begin with, can't remember which. PM me if you need some help with all the zone, scan, etc, parameters.
curmudgeon.....and I like it.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Thanks for everyone's reply.

I inquired the seller of this particular radio and the firmware is 6.05 and he currently has it set up to do zones.

Wes
Wes Hutchens
Will

Post by Will »

Wes, grab it!

You will love the A4 rotory head. The only thing I miss is the Delete key for instant/nusience delete while in scan. I have not found a way to add it on the A4.

I can add the nusience Del key on the A5 tho.
Last edited by Will on Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wes

Post by Wes »

So the A4 head dont have a nusience delete?????
Wes Hutchens
Will

Post by Will »

Sad, but true.
AR15Ron

Post by AR15Ron »

Will wrote:Wes, grab it!

You will love the A4 rotory head. The only thing I miss is the Delete key for instant/nusience delete while in scan. I have not found a way to add it on the A4.

I can add the nusience Del key on the A5 tho.
For all my Spectra hacking etc, I didnt know you could add the delete button to an A5?!?!!? That's the one thing I've always hated about my dash mount Spectra's. After having the A9's I miss the nuisance delete.

Ron
Will

Post by Will »

Ron, are you good at surface mount board rework? I use the right DIR button location and isolate the contacts. Then dupicate the 'button' below it. One screw-up and most of the buttons do not work anymore.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Am I correct to assume that any Spectra A4, A5 or A7 is capable of Zones if the firmware is 6.00 or higher???? If so I'd much rather have an A5 or A7 so I can have the nusience delete button.......

Wes
Wes Hutchens
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

The option can be available to firmware versions 6 and above. Also the Delete button I think is only available on A7 and A9 control heads with the full keypads.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Wes

Post by Wes »

Well,

With all that said, It sounds like I may be looking for an A7 Dashmount, VHF 146-174 Mhz, that has 6.00 firmware or newer and is capable of zones.....

Anybody got one they want to get rid of or know of one???

I have lots of items for trade.......

Wes
Wes Hutchens

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”