Motorola Virtual Control Head Info...

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

AngelFire_91

Post by AngelFire_91 »

Even though all the pictures show a 1550 I tried it the other day with one and I could not get it to work, I keep getting the Radio is not turned on or check your cables. I was using a Standard Moto RIB and Cable (the one that plugs into the Acc. Connector not the RJ45 one.) So I guess they like to just put the CDM1550 in the pictures for flare.

Unless the MiniRIB is what you have to have???
Kevin
kb9rre

vrch

Post by kb9rre »

it will not work with cdm1550 radios if u open up profiler and click on perripheals and add radio you will find the radios it works on
No greater love than this, that a man lays down his life for a friend.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

The software currently works with:

Spectra Analog A4,A5,A7,A9
Astro Spectra W4,W5,W7,W9
MCS2000 All models
Tetra MTM300 (or something like that)

It would be nice if they expand the software for other radios. But for now it'll work for the most part. Remember guys this is still relatively new stuff. Later versions may include more radios, more emulation, more buttons... who knows what the R+D gurus at Mother /\/\ are up to. :lol:
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
kb9rre

Motorola Rib (clone)

Post by kb9rre »

these are the clone ribs that will not work

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tegory=296
Cat_Herder

Post by Cat_Herder »

The ribs that I've used with the VRCH and operated properly have been the PAIII and the PA2 models, as well as the Smart Rib and the original rib, the rib published here at Bat Labs...
Mear...
Cat
"...No Matter where you go...There you are..."
AngelFire_91

Post by AngelFire_91 »

HumHead wrote:Now why is it that the program apparently only works on the Spectra and MCS2000 radios, but all of their graphics show a CDM1550?

Are the monkeys spreading to the graphics department, or is this a hint of a version soon to come?

Hmmm...
I tried it on a CDM 1550 and I can't get it to work, I'm using the Normal Programming set up with the Accessory connector not the Mic connector. So I'm either doing something wrong? or it just doesn't work with the CDM 1550 and they like to make you think it would.
Kevin
JAYMZ

Post by JAYMZ »

JAYMZ wrote:The software currently works with:

Spectra Analog A4,A5,A7,A9
Astro Spectra W4,W5,W7,W9
MCS2000 All models
Tetra MTM300 (or something like that)
Sorry AngelFire....

Doesn't work with the CDM series.... Yet... maybe a future enhancement? Who knows.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
kb9rre

vrch

Post by kb9rre »

anyone have problems with the scan function with spectra a5
kb9rre

scan

Post by kb9rre »

well Jason helped me with this one should have read instructions page 94 of administrator manual use the s503 for middle button etc.
natedog224

Its About Time

Post by natedog224 »

Thats too damn cool. I am about to put a 4 band system in my pickup and I could only dream about such wonders as this.

One embedded PC with a touch screen some accesories and bam all radios into one virtual head.

Kewl

Wont do my X9000 LB though :(
kb9rre

vrch

Post by kb9rre »

ok now i am going to see if we can run mic and speaker through sound card. and we'll need to add button on screen for ptt
thgiz
What radios do you own?: HT1250LS+ & CDM1250

Post by thgiz »

i know this is an old post but... i had just purchased a spectra and i knew this was here. so i downloaded the software. ran installer.exe, then ran vrchsetup.exe. i then tried to run VRCH profiler and it asked me for a password. any ideas? or is this a newer version? anyone have the old version? thanks
thgiz
What radios do you own?: HT1250LS+ & CDM1250

Post by thgiz »

I did read through it and did not see a password, I most likely missed it. I apologize for being a loser...I just thought (by the sounds of your reply incorrectly) , that some nice batlaber would we happy to help me out. Thanks

after that....anyone able to put it through a soundcard with any luck?
kb9rre

password

Post by kb9rre »

yur not a loser because there are no losers in heavens eyes
K6SJH

Cable Pinout?

Post by K6SJH »

Did anyone figure out the pinouts for the Y cables? MCS and Spectra?

Thanks,
S. John Holder
Pleasanton, CA

Batphone: BAT-6754
kb9rre

y cables

Post by kb9rre »

what y cables?
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Spectra - it uses a standard programming cable. I don't know yet about the MCS2000. If I ever get one I will be buying the kit for it so I can let you know exactly what cable it comes with.

Jason
tomsdad

Post by tomsdad »

Anybody got this working with a MCS2k yet?

If so, any traps I should be aware of before I fall into them....

Steve
kb9rre

spectra

Post by kb9rre »

i had it working on both my high power spectras
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Ok, post back from the dead....

Trying to play with this with my Astro Spectra W7 (highpower).

Highpower cable attached to 2nd db25 port.

Carolina Radio RIB that has worked with everything from an X9000 to XTS3000

Computer will not talk to the radio (check cable etc comm error) but...the radio channels show up on vrch as it scans.

Any tips? Eventually I want to hook up all 3 spectra's to it, but perhaps I am missing something.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
kb9rre

astro spectra

Post by kb9rre »

since i never used the astro spectra i not much help. i only used regular spectras.
motorolaaustralia

VRCH Download

Post by motorolaaustralia »

Bump bump a few years...

I am looking for the VRCH Program... The Motorola links are not working for me (and haven't for a while).

Does anyone know where I can get this software?

Thanks, Dom
JAYMZ

Post by JAYMZ »

Wow, I totally forgot about this thread.... talk about a blast form the past.

Anyway. The vRCH software was bundled with the MW520 and up, I believe the "free" download has been totally removed from Motorola's website. If you try calling them, they may supply it to you. But again, not sure if it's going to be free anymore.

And since it is a copyrighted software package, it falls under the same rules here about RSS. FYI.
JAYMZ

Calvin
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

To once again revive this old thread, did anyone ever figure out how to run this thing without a 'normal' control head attached to the radio? I'm supposed to have an A9 Spectra on the way, just the drawer unit, and I don't have a cable or spare head to use on it. It'll most likely be used for a base radio anyway, so it would be nice to not have to buy a cable and head for it.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

What a blast from the past... :D

I'm working on an A4/A5 combo on my MW520 right now...pics of the install with VRCH are on the Hamsexy.com forum.

Let's get this project rolling again.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
kb9rre

bump

Post by kb9rre »

i had both my spectras working 99 % w/o control head. i had to put relay in to cut out speaker when txing or would get a beep in spkr. and if my memory serves me right i could not do monitor on/off w/o control head. so i chose not to use that function
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

The normal spectra doesn't play to well on the VRCH if my memory serves me correctly as VRCH can not control some of the functions. The Astro Spectra works MUCH MUCH better with VRCH. I never have had an MCS2000 to try it with so I can't speak for one of those.

Jason
kb9suy
What radios do you own?: too many!!

?

Post by kb9suy »

<EDIT, JAYMZ> Check your PMs
deznetwork

Post by deznetwork »

If any one can get me a copy, I really want to try this on my Spectra..

Thanks,
Dylan
deznetwork@ocnetworking.com
KB2ZTX
was jsikora

mw

Post by KB2ZTX »

It appears the siteis now down...not sure I can't get any links to work.

JAS
ayaresr

Post by ayaresr »

Back to the top again. Anyone here able to get a copy of this for me? From what I understand it is NLA from Motorola. Any help appreciated, I would like to play with this.
Pj

Post by Pj »

Try archive.org. I think I was still able to get vRCH that way. Also its listed on the mw800 page (buried) on the Moto site (along with other drivers and the such for the 800). Sometimes it works, sometimes it goes to a bad request page.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
osswaldel

Post by osswaldel »

Does anyone have a link to the download...
ayaresr

Post by ayaresr »

I was able to get a copy by calling Motorola. They emailed it to me at no charge. The link was still on their site but was a dead link.
rodgrech
What radios do you own?: 2x Motorola Saber III 1x MCS2k

Re: Motorola Virtual Control Head Info...

Post by rodgrech »

im actully quite interested in this software now, is there a possiblity someone could host it?
Pj

Post by Pj »

You can still download it off of the old MW520 site. However, you have to go thru http://www.archive.org. Some links work via archive, some do not. I have been able to download 520 PDF files and the such. It may take you awhile or a combination of archive dates, but its there.
rodgrech

Post by rodgrech »

Pj wrote:You can still download it off of the old MW520 site. However, you have to go thru http://www.archive.org. Some links work via archive, some do not. I have been able to download 520 PDF files and the such. It may take you awhile or a combination of archive dates, but its there.
been through every year that was archived for the mw520 site on archive.org, just keeps on coming up as the file isnt there :(
alex
Administrator

Re:

Post by alex »

ayaresr wrote:I was able to get a copy by calling Motorola. They emailed it to me at no charge. The link was still on their site but was a dead link.
I would suggest following what this person did and ask.

It seems to make the most sense, although posted a while ago, would get you around any issue. If you ask them if you can share it, get it in writing, and then I don't see it being a huge issue.

Other than that, if you can't find it off Motorola's site, then I don't think it's worth getting in to the whole technicalities of hosting v. not hosting, and providing links etc.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
rodgrech

Post by rodgrech »

no problems alex, ive tried asking motorola Australia in the past and their rep who visits us at work and they had no idea the software existed. unfortunately it looks like what could of been a great peice of software has dissapeard into the void
Pj

Post by Pj »

Eh...its almost overrated. Most people play with it, then its done. As mentioned somewhere above, it was an extra tool with the MW520 workstations, and geared towards the touchscreen stuff.

The biggest PITA is finding a good rib that you want to dedicate to just sitting in the car to show you on the screen what the control head next to the screen is showing.

Neat to play with, but I have to find anyone who uses it on a regular basis. Not knocking anything, but I wouldn't mind having it back on my MW in the car, but I don't want to add yet more cabling to my rear seat.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I agree, it is over-rated. Neat to play with and see what it can and can't do. For most of the supported radios, the issue is what is CAN"T do. It can NOT replace a control head. It works better with some radios/control head combos than other, but in the end you still need your control head so its a waste. If it would have been further developed it may have been more useful.

Nothing like having an astro spectra connected to VrCH and starting the application which reverts the volume on the radio to ZERO, but they never tell you that, LOL.

Jason
rodgrech

Post by rodgrech »

well, i was going to use it on the workbench where i work, where i can have up to 3 radios running plus my touch screen laptop. ive got no problems rib wise as there is quite a few motorola smart ribs floating around... so yeah just trying to free up some realestate on my desk
Pj

Post by Pj »

Has anyone been able to get this to work with the MW520 display keys, other than to have it minimize? The help files elludes to assigning other keys to functions ok (and the screen buttons match the display buttons), but I cannot find any options in profiler.

In the help is also states you can add other things than the radios (such as cameras, etc), but again, no option is found in profiler.
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Post by radioinstl »

anyone looking for the software it is here on The Motorola MW800 driver page for free

http://www.motorola.com/governmentanden ... d=Software
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

Now; if we can just figure out a way to network it so I can have my radios in my shop, and be able to access them from any computer in the house - sort of an RCH3000 kind of setup! Would that kick some ass, or what? Add a virtual PTT to the screen, and use the sound card in each PC for mic / audio. This would also be a HUGE benefit for the local EOC where I'm refurbing old Centracom II's to hold a flat screen on the sloped panel, and two W-9's on the small vertical panel on top.

I hope Motorola hasn't decided to cut this off, because I haven't been able to access the above pages all morning...
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I was able to access & download it just now, no problem. Neat software, can't wait to play with it for 10 minutes at the shop & then never use it again.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

This post may be older than dirt, but a lot of this is all news to me as of today.

I got this thing running with my W7 Ast0r and damn if it isn't nifty.

If I could route audio to the computer, then have some sort of desktop control from another computer, I could internet remote my radio, which would be awesome if I could figure out how to get this data to get sent through the internet.

I'm tired if this doesn't make too much sense.
JAYMZ

Post by JAYMZ »

My God. Talk about the epic thread that would never die.

This application is still "neat" in my dimly lit corner of the universe. But it's just that... "neat" doesn't serve much for practicality. Now as Jason said in an earlier reply (From what? 2 years ago) the fact that you still somewhat need the control head shoots this software square in the foot. If there were a way to route everything through the computer and be able to eliminate the control heads the practicality of this software would increase exponentially.

Think about it. How many of you whackers have a couple of radios in your vehicles and some sort of computer. If VrCH could eliminate the control heads completely, route audio and all that jazz all you would need is the laptop dock and that is it. Take the laptop out when you get to your destination, completely discreet. No worries of any other foamers feeling the need to drool on your windows while you are shopping at the mall. Trust me, if that is all it would take... I would have bought myself a tablet PC or a toughbook when I replaced my laptop and pull all of the sh!te out of the front of my car leaving the laptop and my siren/light controller.

In short, I think this software is pretty well confined to and doomed to live in the "I wonder what would happen if" realm of geekness.
JAYMZ

Calvin
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

And it is still version 1.3.5.1 which means they haven't updated it in a LONG time. If they would consider listening to the customer it could be a fabulous product. That is a BIG would though. Itried contacting them about the volume reset issue with the astro spectra and they said it is what it is and they planned on no changes.

Jason

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”