Anybody get an "05" head yet?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

xmo

Anybody get an "05" head yet?

Post by xmo »

Our sales guy says our order should ship soon.

We looked at the tutorial in the new CPS 6. It has some nice pictures of the new head - it should be very nice. Lots of text space. Programmable backlight color..

One thing to note - they changed the microphone connector so the HKN6155 ribless cable that programs the other XTL5000 radios won't work here. What you need is the high-power cable: HKN6183A.

BTW your sales person may still be able to get you a $400 discount on a new XTL5000 with the 05 control head (G442AB)

Promotion option W635EN
hoser

Post by hoser »

Bre prepared to see a whole wack of different connectors on the '05' head radios......including USB.

These radios (XTL5000 and XTL2500) will communicate with their respective control heads via the CAN-BUS standard. There are new connectors for programming/keyloading, multiple heads and remote mounting.
Jason

XTL2500

Post by Jason »

I got some XTL2500's in dash mount config today that have the M5 head. Very nice so far! Havent event turned them on yet.

Ill snap some pics tomorrow.
LAC-OPS
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 M3, APX7000 R2+V, XTL5

Post by LAC-OPS »

I saw a couple of these control heads on some XTL's at APCO in Denver. Personally, I didn't like them. I thought they felt cheap and flimsy. So did the microphone connector, which sticks straight out of the front of the head and I can already see them breaking from slight impacts that wouldn't bother the old connector at all.

It's neat and all to be able to change the display colors and the "softkeys" on the head are nice too, as well as the actual display itself, but it makes the radio look like a Kenwood car stereo.

Just my $.0.02
xmo

Post by xmo »

Our first one came today - we have just started playing with it.

As I noted in my first post - you need the right programming cable. In addition to the HKN6183 RS232 cable there is the HKN6184 USB cable.

For secure systems - don't forget that you will need an HKN6182 keyloading cable.
d119

Post by d119 »

Pics?
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Here you go. Saw one finally on Friday night. I have more photos, and will try and post them here later.

Sitting below it is the programming cable. The programming cable resembels the older i1000 programming cable with the yellow port screws, and has the round connector which plugs in the mic port. I have more photos of sides, front, back, etc. Due to lack of 12v power cords, we couldn't power it up.

-Alex
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

looks like a kenwood hammie radio..

to each their own i guess
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Looks pretty damn sweet IMO.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

(Nothing like an XTL coming out of a back of a truck.... 8) )
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”