Any b-labr's on Sprintpcs readylink want to chat ?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

phrawg

Any b-labr's on Sprintpcs readylink want to chat ?

Post by phrawg »

Just wondering if we have any readylink users that are lab members
If so I just updated my pcs phone and trying that feature out.
Who better to try with than a fellow /\/\-labber somewhere else
in the country. Interest ? pm or post here. Thanks, Phrawg
BBbzzzzz... ZAP.. GULP !!! ahhhh GOOD fly !
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Post by fire_master_21 »

ready link is ok. I like nexthell better but they are not in my area here in az and everyone I work with has sprint so the PCS to PCS calling is nice
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
central150
What radios do you own?: Too many..

Post by central150 »

I have Ready Link....413-222-5299. Hit me up
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

The funny part is that in about 12 months there will only be ReadyLink and it will then be called Direct Connect and ReadyLink moniker will be dropped although it is still readylink. Thats where the ol' trick will occur. Sprint's iP network will get better latency will disappear. Codecs will get firmware flashed at sprint store's making it better and better. Looks like the final judgement is out on iDEN, Nextel has admitted their (well at least Motorola's ) own inferiority and has tried to pull off this stunt. CDMA all the way. The ones who lose is Motorola (lost a billon dollar handset deal and have their biggest and almost only respectable base station buyers jump ship). I wonder what Southern Companies is going to do after Motorola stops making mass quantities of handsets. Is iDEN extinct? Anybody know if their is a lapel microphone for one of those Kyocera's? ;)
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Just got two of these yesterday and they are pretty good. Voice quality is MUCH better than Nextel.

Anyone know how to add a different "ring tone" for the "ready link" feature so I'm not forced to use the default selection?
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Post by fire_master_21 »

scott on mine I go to settings, then sounds, then ringer type, to ready link. Altho I don't know if all of the phones can change the ringtone for RR. My first cell with ready link i could not change anthing within readylink
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Charlied
What radios do you own?: MTS2000

Post by Charlied »

Questions as a consumer.

Is Nexthell going away?
Didn't Sprint buy them?
Whatever happened to Verizon's push to talk?
KI4ISE
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Charlied wrote:Is Nexthell going away?
I sure hope so.
Didn't Sprint buy them?
Yes, for $35 billion. o_O
Whatever happened to Verizon's push to talk?
Craptacular technology that often delayed communications up to 20 seconds, making it even more unreliable than Nextel's "Cannot locate that subscriber/Lo Ciento Para El Mensaje De Espanol."
Charlied

Post by Charlied »

So the ultimate (?) and only (?) push to talk will be Sprint?
KI4ISE
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Iden isn't going anywhere. Remember, Nextel is a 2 way company that also does phone. 2 way is their primary function. Sprint & Cingular are cell companies that are adapting their system to copy Nextel's two way. My buddy has the Sprint 2 way. It's like watching a bad Bruce Lee movie. You see lips move. sound comes out of receiving handset 7 seconds later. LOL. Some day this might happen, but Iden still rules IMHO. GARY N4KVE
Charlied

Post by Charlied »

I'm sorry, Iden?
KI4ISE
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Sorry. Iden is the technology Nextel uses. Cingular is GSM. Sprint is CDMA etc. On the horizon are dual band Iden/CDMA handsets. It has been said that if & when Nextel goes to CDMA, the whole Iden system goes to the govt for a country wide PD dispatch, so Iden will still be here. Nextel may not be perfect but for 2 way dispatch it's still the best. IMHO. GARY N4KVE
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

N4KVE wrote:Nextel may not be perfect but for 2 way dispatch it's still the best. IMHO. GARY N4KVE
Nextel doesn't hold a candle to genuine two-way dispatch.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Nextel is surely far from even perfect, or equitably suitable, and for 'real' dispatch purposes, it SUX plain and simple, it was never designed to replace actual dispatch systems, but 'enhance' it's abilitys with the offering of direct connect, and it surely can not fully replace any dispatch center.

Doing so would be foolhardy and braindead in action.

For day to day activities that are NOT life threatening, or require non interruption of service, Nextel is suitable.

For life threatening situations, Nextel is NOT suitable in any form, Katrina proved this, as have countless other natural disasters that have destroyed every major network within the storm's path.

Is Nextel going away?

Not very likely, not with the infrastructure already in place, and with the loading the entire network has currently, It is highly unlikely for Sprint to simply pull the plug and shut it down, and even if the feds decide to buy it, it will be a long time before every user is migrated onto another Sprint/Nextel system.

Even the prepaid users will need to be 'relocated' as well.

Nextel is still a prime cash cow for Sprint, so I doubt the shtudown will happen within a ten year term, unless something fantastic happens to cause a shift in the business patterns and thinking of Sprint.

Prepaid Boost service is the biggest cash cow as they already have your money even before you are allowed on the system, think about the revenue loss if they shut down iDEN within the year.

I can probably bet safely that Sprint/Nextel would lose millions in profit if they did this, not to mention the churn of thousands of angry customers to their competitor's networks.

They can't simply concern themselves with major market areas, they have to encompass every market, from rural to inner city and roamers also.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

I can change the tones for Ready Link in my phone, but I'd like to add other ringtones for it as I don't like the 4 or so choices that the phone has. I called CS, but as usuall, they said, "No one has ever asked that question before..."

Guess I'll live with the Nextel "Beeps" as it's the least annoying.

Yes, if you're sitting beside the the person you are talking to, there is a delay. 5 or so seconds (sometimes it's 1 or 2, sometimes it's 6 or 7). This delay however is not noticeable if you're apart. And for the price, it's a whole lot cheaper than Nextel.
Scott
KE4FHH
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

Just to clarify something. Sprints Readylink itself is not CDMA.
The system is a hybrid. You signal through the CDMA part of
the phone then it transfers to the "vision" part of the network
and the "2-way" function is done thru their internet access
functions and is done VoIP. Only problem with this is that in
order to work you must keep the phone's internet access on
and running which is a huge battery consumer. I have
a VI-2300 by Sprint and have been a customer of sprint PCS
since late 90's and have tried Readylink. It really works good
except for the battery deal. It took a battery that normally
provides 4-5 days standby if I do not get any calls, and
3 1/2 hours of talk time, and reduced it to 6-7 hours of
standby in order to be able to get a readylink "ptt" call.
Totally unacceptable. The "2-way" on Sprint to me is far
superior to Nexthell in quality of sound and connection
latency, but needs the power problem solved. Then
Nexthell can go the way of the dinosaur and never be missed !.
Phrawg
rangerfourever

Post by rangerfourever »

Well up here in the windy city we went from Nextel to Sprint ( days before the merge) :lol: and the ready link is one of the worst sounding I have ever heard. I was here for the original Nextel/Fleetcall Lingo days and it never sounded so bad. Almost everyone now just makes a quick phone call instead of using readylink..... :-? Only time will tell what happens next
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

phrawg wrote:Only problem with this is that in
order to work you must keep the phone's internet access on
and running which is a huge battery consumer.
That's a joke, right? I can't even believe they'd roll out something like that.

People here seem to be of the opinion that Verizon offers a superior service to Nextel.. in particular in the post-Katrina disaster areas. I am trying to convince them that this is not the case. Of course, the best service we had was on a UHF LTR system, but oh no, we can't have any of that. :roll:
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

NO, it is not a joke. I activated then turned off my RL standby
4-5 times and everytime the bat consumption went to S*** !!!!
(thanks George W. ) for the proper words (GRIN) !!!
Remember when NextHell tried to copyright "PTT" a few years
back ? thats when V and SPCS did their version of dc whether it was
the most efficient thing or not, just to put NextHell in their place.
I really liked the way it functioned technically though and the
way it sounded campared to the stupid "chirp toys" and would have
kept it if not for the battery life problem. Phrawg
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

We got two different phones - wife got a flip phone (SCP-3100) and I got an (RL-4930).

We turned the internet off as we don't need it. The Ready Link only works when you "call" the other party. To call them, you hit the PTT twice. Once to enter RL mode and then you select their name and press it the second time. Altogether, it takes about 2-3 seconds to initiate a call. Once you are conversing with the other party, it's almost instantanious.

If you leave the phone in RL mode without actually talking, it will go back to standby mode. The two phones that we have will not allow you to stay in RL mode. No big deal to me as it only take a second or two to initiate the RL feature.
Scott
KE4FHH
n9upc

Post by n9upc »

Remember when comparing different Push To Talk type services and you go across the company board understand the following:

Nextel (iDen) - iDen technology which is designed to be more like a radio network.

Sprint (CDMA) - PoC (Push to talk Over Cellular) a VoIP protocol. Which boils down to a Phonebook, Speaker phone, Packet Data.

Verizon (CDMA) - Similar type PoC

Cingular (GSM) - Kodiak RTX (Real Time eXchange) uses a base of a high speed data exchange network.

Alltel (CDMA) - Kodiak RTX also

With iDen and PoC formats you are pretty much restricted to network use only due to the fact of how the network processes the PoC call.

With Kodiak RTX format it is all packet data and you can use it while you roam on different data networks since it is data. Therefore, like us up in here in Western WI near Cell One land you can use the PTT function off network.

Now with iDen you do have the fastest connect speed, PoC second, and Kodiak RTX last. However, feature wise it goes in reverse Kodiak RTX, PoC, and iDen.

Example:

Kodiak RTX - You can see the status of who you are calling and trying to reach. If the person is not available you can in turn take your "transmission" and turn it into a voicemail which can be sent to the end user. Also if you are talking and getting tired of the PTT to talk you can convert it over to a cellular call with a push of the button.

PoC - You can turn it on and off when you need too, in addition it is on the data side so it makes it a little easier on the phone.

iDen - You can not turn it on and off, but you can off network and go direct.

I say screw it all and give me a two way radio and phone individually not combined into a little this smalled then a computer mouse almost.
" ah the fatman made a funny!" - Stewie from the family guy.

I went to the doctor and all he did was just suck blood. Never go to Dr Acula - M. Hedberg

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”