CPS 6.0 Regions Finally Hacked

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Flatbush97

CPS 6.0 Regions Finally Hacked

Post by Flatbush97 »

This hack will allow any version 6.0 or above Pro Series CPS program all available regions, not just the region installed. I tried this with R06.05AA on a fresh machine and was able to confirm AA, LA and AZ.

Obviously, one should only try this if you are comfortable with editing your registry... Please make sure to make a backup of the key before you make any changes.

Set the value of the following key to "@%&MAHUS" (without the quotes) and restart your CPS.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Motorola\ProRadio\FSK\SerializedString

If you select Help -> About from the menu and check the Details tab you will now verify that you have access to the folowing regions: LA FD MD AA AZ. I am not sure what MD and FD are, noone was able to answer when I posted the question last week. If anyone knows, please fill me in.

Enjoy
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Nice!
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

Maybe something like M depot or field depot, Have you looked for any hidden func key menus or function theat seem somewhat "LABish" ?
NICE JOB. Phrawg
BBbzzzzz... ZAP.. GULP !!! ahhhh GOOD fly !
Monty
Administrator

Post by Monty »

HI:

Excellent piece of work !

Hopefully the members will respect the Professional
work, time & effort you have put in for their benifit !

Its this kind of work that make this forum worth
reading. !

Monty
Need help on a Program Cable or (/\/\) Rib Box ?
Contact me anytime/All availible / Free Support Info !

mail to: MSisco9939@aol.com
PLease avoid PM's whenever possible. Box gets too full.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Great find. My question is this....

Because we all know about the lack of backwards compatability on the software... if I do this hack and program an Asian Pro Series radio with the American software, will the radio be able to still be programmed by the Asian version of the CPS as long as the versions are the same just different regions? And vice versa.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I would assume not -

In theory, I would expect that this removes the error checking that says that your a latin american or US radio.

The more important question is - if you read a radio with US software that's an LA radio - say with Select 5 or whatever type tone information, if that information comes up or not -- for example.

There are differences with the radios - not many (I think) but there are some differences.

-Alex
Flatbush97

Post by Flatbush97 »

To clarify, what I noticed was the following. When I installed 6.05AA on my machine in the help->about it was showing that it was an LA and AA release. Since I had previously installed an LA version it now gave me access to both, ie it did not remove access to a region, rather it added access to the new region. Regions are not mutually exclusive. Based on other threads I realized that THE CPS FOR ALL REGIONS WAS PROBABLY THE SAME. What they were doing was writing somewhere what regions were installed and when you tried to read/write a radio it would check the region bit and give an error if you did not have access to the region. THE CPS IS THE SAME.

Essentially what I figured out was the location to where it was storing the region info on the pc, and how it was setup. You are not hacking the radio at all! All you are doing is opening up your software to have access to all the regions mentioned earlier. You just turned them on, kind of like a security access flag. It did not make sense that they reinvented the wheel for each region. This now allows you to have up to date current software for all regions. From a technical perspective, programming a differant region should be no differant then programming differant firmwares. The software should be able to handle them all.

In a nutshell, there is no such thing regional CPS, rather regions are controlled by a flag in the registry. When you program your radio on another CPS afterwards, as long as that CPS supports your region you should be ok. You are doing absolutely NOTHING to the radio codeplug.
At least thats the way I understand it.

If anyone knows of a region that I missed, let me know and I will play around some more.
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

Nice work!!

How did you end up figuring out where they were stored? :)

And yes... from what I've noticed as well, the CPS for all regions is the same, just with various flags around the place.

This means in theory, yes you can read/write an asiapac radio with american CPS and still be able to read/write with the asiapac cps.
Batphone: BAT-JEDI
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Sorry for being stupid...

What can a Waris radio from, say, China or UK do, that one from Canada or the US can't? Is it just frequency?

-Miker
VoIP: BAT-MIKE (228-6453)

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

yeah pretty much... just region associated frequency options.

For example, AA region S frequency set is 450-512, where as AZ region is 450-527
Batphone: BAT-JEDI
ltec123

Post by ltec123 »

Thanks a bunch!!
Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay G. »

Well, I dont know if this is a help or not, but I purchased a "real" HT1250 on Ebay 2 weeks ago. When it came in, it was missing the stickers on the back, and had "1234567" programmed as the serial #. Didnt matter to me for the usage i need, but obviously, someone else has figured something out....This radio came from Taiwan actually, and my emails for any info as to how it was done were not answered....
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

OK. Annoying Quirk #1 nailed down.

Now, how the hell do you program out-of-band?!?!
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
elkbow

Post by elkbow »

Kewl.....I went in and changed mine for my R06.05.00 AA CPS, I now see LA FD MD AA AZ.....

haven't tried doing any reads yet, got rid of my PRO5150, so can't test there, still have my ht1550, ht750, etc.
Andreas
What radios do you own?: radios

Post by Andreas »

The easiest way to change the regionalcode,is to use the GM/GP3xx
lab upgradetool.If you can´t get it,hack the standart GM/GP3xx or
GM/GP6xx upgradetool.

Every meuepoint has it´s own address!
Program Regional ID is 0680
Radio Info is 0380

Change 0380 to 0680 .When you start the upgradetool,you´ll find the menuepoint Program Regional ID instead Radio Info.
Connect the radio to PC,click on the menuepoint and change the regional id.

A part of the upgradetool(original in unicode):
..&.F.i.l.e.......S.e.l.e.c.t. .&.f.i.r.m.w.a.r.e. .f.i.l.e.......S.e.l.e.c.t. .&.c.o.d.e.p.l.u.g. .f.i.l.e.............S.a.v.e. .f.i.r.m.&.w.a.r.e. .a.s. .b.i.n.a.r.y. .f.i.l.e.......S.a.v.e. .c.o.d.e.&.p.l.u.g. .a.s. .b.i.n.a.r.y. .f.i.l.e.......S.a.v.e. .&.b.o.o.t.c.o.d.e.s. .a.s. .b.i.n.a.r.y. .f.i.l.e.s...........A.E.&.x.i.t.....&.R.a.d.i.o. .A.c.c.e.s.s.......R.a.d.i.o. .&.I.n.f.o.............P.r.o.g.r.a.m. .&.R.e.g.i.o.n.a.l. .I.D...................&.U.p.g.r.a.d.e. .R.a.d.i.o.............&.F.l.a.s.h. .f.i.r.m.w.a.r.e.............&.W.r.i.t.e. .C.o.d.e.p.l.u.g.............&.P.a.t.c.h. .R.a.d.i.o.......&.U.n.d.o. .p.a.t.c.h.....&.O.p.t.i.o.n.s.......&.C.o.n.f.i.g.u.r.a.t.i.o.n...........&.V.i.e.w.......&.T.o.o.l.b.a.r.......&.S.t.a.t.u.s. .B.a.r.....&.H.e.l.p.....C.&.H.e.l.p. .T.o.p.i.c.s...........@.&.A.b.o.u.t. .F.l.a.s.h.G.r.a.d.e.............A.b.o.u.t. .F.l.a.s.h.G.r.a.d.e. .-. .&.L.a.b. .v.e.r.s.i.o.n.............&.A.b.o.u.t. .P.a.t.c.h.T.o.o.l.......p.F.....p.E.....u.P.....u.Q.....4...V.S._.V.E.R.S.I.O.N._.I.N.F.O....

A more easier way is now on my homepage!

Andreas
Last edited by Andreas on Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
JAYMZ

Post by JAYMZ »

Kind of a stale topic but for those of you that are a little weak minded about editing your registry manually you can try this file:

<NLA>

Download, double click and you are set. FYI and FWIW I use this on Win2k and Win XP machines without trouble.
Last edited by JAYMZ on Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Keep in mind that your virus software may freak out downloading that too.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Jaymz...that link is not working and I would like to try it,
mod
JAYMZ

Post by JAYMZ »

Yeah I had to take it down. My server place freaked out and thought I was distributing viruses. Sorry!!
JAYMZ

Calvin
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Put it in a zipfile, and you should be fine.
paulholmes61

Post by paulholmes61 »

I would also like more info on the registry file change. I've looked through the files for the CPS I have, R06.04.00, but can't a find a 'registry' file. Please advise
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

*IF* you don't know *WHAT* your registry is in windows - this is NOT something you should undertake.

You can make your whole windows operating system (any verison) inoperable by hitting the wrong key.

Just a warning.

-Alex

(you edit the registry by running regedt32 or regedit at a run prompt in windows.)

**** AT YOUR OWN RISK! ****
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
paulholmes61

Post by paulholmes61 »

Many thanks, I'll have a look.

Ciao
paulholmes61

Post by paulholmes61 »

Many thanks, have made the changes, works a treat.

Ciao
n5tbu

Post by n5tbu »

Thanks guys!
central150
What radios do you own?: Too many..

Post by central150 »

I just did it.... Dirty
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

:

Post by Jim2121 »

very good !!!!!
central150
What radios do you own?: Too many..

Post by central150 »

Now I just need a Pro5150 to play around with.
inversat

very very good success whit cps 6.01 thanks.......

Post by inversat »

very very good success whit cps 6.01 thanks.......[/b]
Bob W

Post by Bob W »

I'm assuming that you guys know about this:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Regmon.html
If not, It's a cool piece of freeware that let's you watch - REALTIME - what is touching what registry entry.

They've got a similar gem called filemon, that does the same thing for files.

These might be helpful in the quest.
Meridian

Post by Meridian »

Did the hack, VERY nice, thank you, but no joy. Still getting Error 4-1379.

R06.05 Supported Regions LA FD MD AA AZ
paulholmes61

Post by paulholmes61 »

I've now done to the hack to 4 computers I have the software running on and they all worked.
Did you restart after you did the changes?
Meridian

Post by Meridian »

Yes, I did restart.

I just tried another HT1250. It works with it but not my HT1250.
zanegoh
New User

Re: CPS 6.0 Regions Finally Hacked

Post by zanegoh »

Flatbush97 wrote:This hack will allow any version 6.0 or above Pro Series CPS program all available regions, not just the region installed. I tried this with R06.05AA on a fresh machine and was able to confirm AA, LA and AZ.

Obviously, one should only try this if you are comfortable with editing your registry... Please make sure to make a backup of the key before you make any changes.

Set the value of the following key to "@%&MAHUS" (without the quotes) and restart your CPS.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Motorola\ProRadio\FSK\SerializedString

If you select Help -> About from the menu and check the Details tab you will now verify that you have access to the folowing regions: LA FD MD AA AZ. I am not sure what MD and FD are, noone was able to answer when I posted the question last week. If anyone knows, please fill me in.

Enjoy
I couldn't find the Motorola folder in my registry list... Any Idea ?

Thanks in advance
All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
Paul
What radios do you own?: You can't imagine!...

Post by Paul »

Whewww... C'mon guys, say clearly "THIS IS AN OLD POSTING".
While reading from the start, I tripped over Monty's comment;
It was the "offline" status that kept me from an instant heart attack!
(and meet Monty in person).

Paul sv2us
There are 10 kind of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Flatbush97

Post by Flatbush97 »

For anyone using Windows 7 64 Bit the correct key to modify is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Motorola\ProRadio\FSK\SerializedString
deanq
New User

Post by deanq »

Flatbush97 wrote:For anyone using Windows 7 64 Bit the correct key to modify is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Motorola\ProRadio\FSK\SerializedString
This also works for Windows 10.