MSF Purc

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MotoTech

MSF Purc

Post by MotoTech »

I have a 1/4K uhf tx station that recieves on 72Mhz. yes it is a paging base.

I am wondering the easiest way to convert this to a full uhf repeater...

a: wire in a mobile radio as the receiver
B: cut out the 72Mhz reciever tray and replace with uhf tray

or if anyone has any options please share!
Matt
xmo

Post by xmo »

PURC link receivers actually contain Micor receiver boards - so all you have to do is pick up a UHF Micor - either a mobile or just the receiver board should be pretty cheap - then get your channel element redone to your frequency.

International charges about $50 to do it right so you should be set for less than $100 including the RX board.

Assuming you application is amateur - you probably want a dedicated controller [e.g. Link or CAT], so you really don't need to worry about interfacing the receiver to the PURC control tray.
MotoTech

MSF PURC

Post by MotoTech »

OK, thanks.
I will be using either a zetron controller or a tp-154. so I would just wire in the panel to the receiver side.

I was told I had to mod the Tx Tray on the station as well , But I quess not.

basicly plug and play with the micor board. and the outboard tone panel?

Matt
rasputin

Post by rasputin »

By the way, the early versions of the PURC 5000 came with the MSF 5000 repeater controller with PURC daughter board added on to handle paging. The later versions came with an Advanced Controller which was paging specific the best I know. The nice thing about the advanced controller is that it is frequency agile in the field instead of by eprom as is the case with the earlier units.
bernie
Batboard $upporter

Purc station

Post by bernie »

My two bits worth:
If you could find the RF casting from an old UHF analog MSF,
You could make an ordinary MSF out of it.

Another consideration is 5 meg leakage from the UHSO drawer.

This was a problem with the Micor purc.

If you wish to use the higly stable external referene, the new UNIBOARD could be modified for external reference.

Remove the necessary parts from the old purc board.
Aloha, Bernie
n8obu
What radios do you own?: more than i can list

Another consideration is 5 meg leakage from the UHSO drawer

Post by n8obu »

we have found that adding grounding in the uhso greatly helps the mixing issue. if you dont add it you can end up loosing all your hair like i have ..444.575 +5.0 ends up right on my input freq . the weird thing was i ran this for two years be for the issues showed up real bad.it only takes a 1/2 inch of wire and about 10 mins to do just strap the power ground to the casing as close as ya can to the oven. hope this helps someone .
http://www.n8obu.com/

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”