2005 GMC Yukon Denali Install w/ Pics

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Res168cue

2005 GMC Yukon Denali Install w/ Pics

Post by Res168cue »

The following are pictures of an install that I did in my personal vehicle...
The first few in which it is daylight outside are from about 6months ago, the night time shots are the current setup
(the siren is still in the center console )

The Siren in the center console is a Whelen LS series 200 watt siren (model: 295HFSA1) this is hooked up to a whelen speaker just behind the passengers side of the front bumper.

The MCS2000 in 2 of the daytime photos is a High Split UHF Model III set up with a Remote kit, and Motorola Phone Mic kit

The W7 Spectra (daytime photo) WAS a VHF with W7 Control Head set up obviously with a Remote kit... ***This has since been replaced with a 800Mhz Smartzone Astro Spectra, also with W7 Control Head and a Remote kit.***

The Dash mounted MCS2000 is a Model III VHF (to replace the previously mentioned VHF Spectra) this is also hooked up with a Remote kit.

The last two photos are of the Radios themselves... the 800 Astro Spectra being under the drivers side middle row captains chair and the 2 MCS2000s stacked under the passangers side middle row captains chair.

Thats about it other than lights but I will save the for a future post. Questions and Comments are welcome as always...
Enjoy! - Nate

http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0082pp.jpgImage

http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0050el.jpgImage

http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0061cs.jpgImage

http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0078gc.jpgImage

http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0017bf.jpgImage

http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0127ez.jpgImage

http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0101oq.jpgImage

http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0137dg.jpgImage

http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0151ar.jpgImage

http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0162br.jpgImage

http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0173bx.jpgImage

http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0185bn.jpgImage

http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0197yn.jpgImage

[Talk about some quality time with note pad to clean up those links - but they should be good now... -Alex]
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

This was my first attempt at posting pictures to the board so I'm sorry for the small thumbnail size and code in with the pictures... gonna have to work on that before posting pics again.
If there is anyone out there who has posted pics before (the correct way) i'd like to know what i did wrong. Hope the post is enough so you get the idea of what kind of work was done.
-Nate
dbcomm

Post by dbcomm »

Nice job. I don't think I'd have the cajones to drill a denali, though.
dBC. Power is our first name®
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

Well aside from the MIC clip in the center console, and the bracket for the spectra overhead there are no holes drilled on the inside. Everything is attached (even the siren) with 3M Automotive grade double sided tape.
Ofcourse I drilled the roof for antennas but we all know theres no other way to go with antennas.... - Nate
firemedic4

Post by firemedic4 »

Nice job.... Big Bucks $$$$$$$$$
jedi_saber
Batboard $upporter

Post by jedi_saber »

wanna share with us some pics on the antennas as well as lights/sirenspeaker install? well done.
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

I'm working on getting photos togeather of the lights/siren speaker install as well as the antennas. Going to try and get some daytime shots of the Radios as they are setup presently also. Hopefully the next posting of picture will go without incident. - Nate
Thanks for the comments....
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Looks very nice, but why did you split up all the control heads?

Jotto and Havis Shields both have drop replacement face plates for factory consoles. 12 inches of mounting room on each and no holes drilled.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

No holes were drilled to mount the control heads its 3M automotive double sided tape, and spliting them up was the look i was going for just personal perference i guess. Plus the fact that it is a denali and i didnt want a havis style console in the center of the vehicle ( if it were a tahoe i would delfinately go that route ) - Nate
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Res168cue wrote:No holes were drilled to mount the control heads its 3M automotive double sided tape, and spliting them up was the look i was going for just personal perference i guess. Plus the fact that it is a denali and i didnt want a havis style console in the center of the vehicle ( if it were a tahoe i would delfinately go that route ) - Nate
Double side tape ='s HACK!!

Wait till a collision, then see how your automotive tape holds up, the
Havis or Jotto is not only better, it is safer and the CORRECT way to do an install.

Being that it is a Denali (for what that matters) then why install any equipment it it?

Just curious, did you use velcro or double sided tape to mount the rest of your equipment, i.e. the lights, siren speaker etc.?

Since I am the only one who posted a negative comment, I imagine the flames will be coming.

SG
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by DaBigBR »

Sure looks like the spectra's got bolts or screws through it.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

spectragod wrote:Double side tape ='s HACK!!
I was going to keep my mouth shut, but SG is right. All of that stuff will turn into projectiles in a crash.

Personally, if you buy a Denali and want it to look sexy, a Havis or Jotto drop-in console and an appropriate low-key install would look far better than heads all over the place and lots of double-sticky tape.

The siren location sucks... virtually unusable (I don't believe in setting the siren on wail and leaving it there...)

Get some loom or at least some wire ties for the cabling under the seat.

My $.02.
BPD109
Batboard $upporter

Post by BPD109 »

I like the idea....remote, low key...thats all good, but anything worth doing is worth doing right.

I'm sure the last thing you want is to get smacked in the noggin while your Denali rolls down a hill....that A5 control head would be like a tether ball, and whack you repeatedly.

Drop in console looks sharp, and holds your equipment secure! Those control heads get expensive...and are easily damaged by impact.

Definately, wire loom, zip ties, something to neaten up the wires and its all good.

Just casue the name is Denali...don't mean you cant drill lots of holes....mwaaaaa haaa haaaa.
You can only buy so many bags of lime before people begin asking questions...
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, APX2000

Post by PhillyPhoto »

I'm going to have to disagree with the people opposed to this install. I don't understand why people keep talking about "projectiles" and rolling down hills. I try to avoid accidents if I can, and if I'm going down a hill, I'm sure the windshield is what's going to be contacting my head, not the control head.

Maybe you guys have hundreds of thousands of dollars under your matress, and the resale value of your 10 year old police interceptors, impalas, mini vans and various Honda's don't matter to you. But if I had a Yukon, and a Denali no less, I wouldn't be drilling holes on every surface I could get my drill in to.

As far as the "drop-in consoles" go, it's not a chief's ride, so if it's a personal preference, I don't see the problem. I just removed a Havis console from my car, and when I get a new radio, I will be remote mounting the head above my mirror. I will be using bolts most likely, so I just want to stop any flames right now about that. I'll try to keep my head to the side while I'm rolling down hills though, just to play it safe.
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

As for the last few posts slamming my install on a number of levels this is my response....

The 3M Automotive double sided "tape" adhesive which I used is the same as that used in applications I'm sure we are all familiar with such as the installation of vent/rain guards on the windows of cars and trucks and is also used to attach after market fender flairs to trucks/SUV's just to name a couple. So with regard to it not holding up and a control head becoming a "projectile " I'm pretty sure that this is taken into account when a product is given a OEM rating such as the 3M product has.
Also I'm not quite sure how you all drive but I have no intention of getting into a crash let alone rolling my vehicle down a hill and if for some odd reason this were to happen I don't think my top concern would be getting hit up side the head with a W7... this being the case the above stated is a moot point. While a Havis or Jotto console might be a better solution to installing radios in a vehicle it doesn't make it the "correct " way, if it were would Motorola offer a remote kit??? I think not.

I had a 30" Havis console in my previous truck a 03 Dodge Ram 2500 so I am quite familiar with both styles of install... console and remote (before you go making a smart comment on that NO it wasn't installed with double sided tape/adhesive)

As for it being a Denali (I'm sure most people here realize) that the interior of a Denali is a little more upscale that of just a straight Tahoe or Yukon and the last time I checked Havis and Jotto don't offer their consoles with Carbon fiber trim around their consoles which is whats around the factory GMC Denali Dash and Center Console. That's a look I would like to retain hence the Remote kits and install style.

The funny thing is your guys act like there's tape and wires all over the place, is there? Had I not explained how the install was done you would have no idea. Absolutely no adhesive is visible and as for the wires they are under the rear seats and contained I might add. Also for those who might not know the rear captains chairs are heated and 1/2 of the wire you see are for that option from GM not from my install. I know I know when you guys do an install every single exposed visible wire gets a loom but clearly you see nothing unless the seats are tilted in this case.

Yes.... as stated in one of my first posts the Astro spectra mounted overhead has been mounted using drilled holes and attached with nuts and bolts. As are my lights and external speaker (sorry no tape/adhesive used in that case) As for the siren control being in a bad location and unusable. I really don't use it that much so its location really isn't a concern of mine plus I like that fact that its out of sight and doesn't get in the way of anything. If I need to use it I just open the console, I do have the air horn function wired direct to my steering wheels horn so that's not a problem there.

I drilled the vehicle in plenty of places such as for the antennas and mentioned lights and speaker. Just didn't feel like drilling the dash or center console sue me.....

Finally, I love how every install post around here has it critics (mostly based off jealously it would seem). You could have the cleanest most professional install and someone here would find something to complain about. In most cases it's from people who have 20 year old Ford Festiva's or the like with 3-6 foot magnet mount antennas all over the roof and homebrew wooden radio/cup holders that when you go to reach for the MIC you get a splinter off of.
But hey everyone's entitled to their opinions or .02 cents as it were....
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL

Post by PhillyPhoto »

I'd like to make an amendment to my post. This was what I was talking about when I was the resale value:
http://www.qsl.net/k5lxp/mobile/QSTarti ... ticle.html
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

Res168cue wrote:As for the last few posts slamming my install on a number of levels this is my response....

The 3M Automotive double sided "tape" adhesive which I used is the same as that used in applications I'm sure we are all familiar with such as the installation of vent/rain guards on the windows of cars and trucks and is also used to attach after market fender flairs to trucks/SUV's just to name a couple. So with regard to it not holding up and a control head becoming a "projectile " I'm pretty sure that this is taken into account when a product is given a OEM rating such as the 3M product has.
Also I'm not quite sure how you all drive but I have no intention of getting into a crash let alone rolling my vehicle down a hill and if for some odd reason this were to happen I don't think my top concern would be getting hit up side the head with a W7... this being the case the above stated is a moot point. While a Havis or Jotto console might be a better solution to installing radios in a vehicle it doesn't make it the "correct " way, if it were would Motorola offer a remote kit??? I think not.

I had a 30" Havis console in my previous truck a 03 Dodge Ram 2500 so I am quite familiar with both styles of install... console and remote (before you go making a smart comment on that NO it wasn't installed with double sided tape/adhesive)

As for it being a Denali (I'm sure most people here realize) that the interior of a Denali is a little more upscale that of just a straight Tahoe or Yukon and the last time I checked Havis and Jotto don't offer their consoles with Carbon fiber trim around their consoles which is whats around the factory GMC Denali Dash and Center Console. That's a look I would like to retain hence the Remote kits and install style.

The funny thing is your guys act like there's tape and wires all over the place, is there? Had I not explained how the install was done you would have no idea. Absolutely no adhesive is visible and as for the wires they are under the rear seats and contained I might add. Also for those who might not know the rear captains chairs are heated and 1/2 of the wire you see are for that option from GM not from my install. I know I know when you guys do an install every single exposed visible wire gets a loom but clearly you see nothing unless the seats are tilted in this case.

Yes.... as stated in one of my first posts the Astro spectra mounted overhead has been mounted using drilled holes and attached with nuts and bolts. As are my lights and external speaker (sorry no tape/adhesive used in that case) As for the siren control being in a bad location and unusable. I really don't use it that much so its location really isn't a concern of mine plus I like that fact that its out of sight and doesn't get in the way of anything. If I need to use it I just open the console, I do have the air horn function wired direct to my steering wheels horn so that's not a problem there.

I drilled the vehicle in plenty of places such as for the antennas and mentioned lights and speaker. Just didn't feel like drilling the dash or center console sue me.....

Finally, I love how every install post around here has it critics (mostly based off jealously it would seem). You could have the cleanest most professional install and someone here would find something to complain about. In most cases it's from people who have 20 year old Ford Festiva's or the like with 3-6 foot magnet mount antennas all over the roof and homebrew wooden radio/cup holders that when you go to reach for the MIC you get a splinter off of.
Oh my, where to start, I guess paragraph by paragraph.....

OEM rating, for mounting radio's.... do you have the exact specs on that? I doubt it, as your vent shades are on the outside of the car, not the inside where they can hit your head. It's great to know you have no intentions of getting into a crash.... why do you think they are called accidents..... because people plan them? You can still remote mount radio's and mount the heads in a console.

Nice to know you had a console, congratulations!!

Your right, no carbon fiber on those police consoles, but a good installer can modify anything, you can buy CF and leather to match the interior, don't tell me it costs too much, your the one reminding us what an upscale vehicle that you have. As far as the install style, there isn't any style in throwing equipment all over a vehicle like that.

Your right, we wouldn't have known till you told us, that's your mistake, we just let you know the short comings of it. As far as loom, it protects the wires from chafing, they short out under that seat, and it will be heated.

I don't have a problem with where the siren is, just the type of mounting you used. Just my .02.

I don't have radio's in my cars, just portables, I also don't own a POS, if you want a rundown of my rides, I am quite sure you will find out that you are mistaken.

If you remember, YOU are the one that posted here, and said "hey look at me", your high end truck is just that, a truck, you can make the install as nice as you want and still keep it nice inside, you choose to hack it together and expected for no one to say a word other than how good it looks. Personally, if you worked for me and did work like that, you would be out the door as soon as I saw it. That is by no way an industry standard for installation. Fire Briar is the word that I am thinking, just my .02.

SG
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by Res168cue »

I will get you the OEM spec on the 3M product and I didn't say it was for mounting radios, I said it was for the use of the product in and around autos which last time I checked this was....
I guess the real issue here somehow you have really convinced yourself that if I were to get into an accident with my vehicle (and roll it down a hill none the less) that nothing else would come into contact with my face except the two MCS2000 control heads that I used this 3M tape/adhesive to attach the brackets to the vehicle with. The glass in the vehicle won't break... the metal won't bend or crush.... other items inside the vehicle will stay firmly in place but god damn it if those control heads are the end of me. Also I don't know what your fixation is on consoles? Maybe you work for Havis, maybe Jotto and are on the take from one for both of them and have to push their products like there is no other way to mount a radio EXCEPT in a console. Just in case you do think that you are sadly mistaken it isn't even the "correct" way.... its a personal preference there are many different ways to mount a radio.
As for getting console and "if I were a good installer" making it all fancy with leather and CF yes it could be done and no I wouldn't say its too expensive but clearly I didn't want to use a console and that's the bottom line. The fact that I didn't though plus coupled with the fact that I didn't do aftermarket work to the console consisting of leather and CF that makes my work substandard.
The only mistake I made was to post my work here after seeing people get bashed time after time, thinking that maybe it would just give people some ideas or just show them that thing can be done differently. Yes wire loom, wire loom the only way to do things much like a console I'm afraid. HAHAHA, yea you got me if the wires fray I will have heated rear seats.
No I don't need a run down of your vehicles that's not the point. However if you have just portables in your car and no mobiles then who are you to slam me? Maybe you just don't like mobiles or don't have any. Maybe you won't do an install without a console and haven't gotten around to getting one yet. Maybe you can't do an install I don't know, and to be honest really don't care. But correct me if I'm wrong but when you get into an accident and roll one of your many cars down a hill those portables are going to become projectiles and I'm 99% sure one of them is going to hit you in the head. Wait that's right you probably haven then bolted down or in a console of some type.
I didn't post with the intention of saying look at me. I posted because the title of this forum is vehicle installs and that's what this was. There is really nothing HACK about my install and I'm sure if you saw it in person you would agree. This is all just a side hobby for me and I'm sure you are a professional vehicle installer... No wait your a Occupation: Contract Cleaner So looks like I won't be working for you and you won't be giving me the boot. I never claimed my work to be industry standard so I don't know where you get that from. Let's see some of your work I'll be sure to comment on it... By the way if you do post work all work must be in a Havis or Jotto console and Bolted down in every way known to modern man.
Next time you can keep your .02 cents....
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

Res168cue wrote:I will get you the OEM spec on the 3M product and I didn't say it was for mounting radios, I said it was for the use of the product in and around autos which last time I checked this was....
I guess the real issue here somehow you have really convinced yourself that if I were to get into an accident with my vehicle (and roll it down a hill none the less) that nothing else would come into contact with my face except the two MCS2000 control heads that I used this 3M tape/adhesive to attach the brackets to the vehicle with. The glass in the vehicle won't break... the metal won't bend or crush.... other items inside the vehicle will stay firmly in place but god damn it if those control heads are the end of me. Also I don't know what your fixation is on consoles? Maybe you work for Havis, maybe Jotto and are on the take from one for both of them and have to push their products like there is no other way to mount a radio EXCEPT in a console. Just in case you do think that you are sadly mistaken it isn't even the "correct" way.... its a personal preference there are many different ways to mount a radio.
As for getting console and "if I were a good installer" making it all fancy with leather and CF yes it could be done and no I wouldn't say its too expensive but clearly I didn't want to use a console and that's the bottom line. The fact that I didn't though plus coupled with the fact that I didn't do aftermarket work to the console consisting of leather and CF that makes my work substandard.
The only mistake I made was to post my work here after seeing people get bashed time after time, thinking that maybe it would just give people some ideas or just show them that thing can be done differently. Yes wire loom, wire loom the only way to do things much like a console I'm afraid. HAHAHA, yea you got me if the wires fray I will have heated rear seats.
No I don't need a run down of your vehicles that's not the point. However if you have just portables in your car and no mobiles then who are you to slam me? Maybe you just don't like mobiles or don't have any. Maybe you won't do an install without a console and haven't gotten around to getting one yet. Maybe you can't do an install I don't know, and to be honest really don't care. But correct me if I'm wrong but when you get into an accident and roll one of your many cars down a hill those portables are going to become projectiles and I'm 99% sure one of them is going to hit you in the head. Wait that's right you probably haven then bolted down or in a console of some type.
I didn't post with the intention of saying look at me. I posted because the title of this forum is vehicle installs and that's what this was. There is really nothing HACK about my install and I'm sure if you saw it in person you would agree. This is all just a side hobby for me and I'm sure you are a professional vehicle installer... No wait your a Occupation: Contract Cleaner So looks like I won't be working for you and you won't be giving me the boot. I never claimed my work to be industry standard so I don't know where you get that from. Let's see some of your work I'll be sure to comment on it... By the way if you do post work all work must be in a Havis or Jotto console and Bolted down in every way known to modern man.
Next time you can keep your .02 cents....
Damn, I'm surprised you didn't type that all in caps.... maybe your next post.

The tape is used for auto's, mouldings, trim, etc.

I never said you would roll down a hill, that was someone else, not me.

I don't work for a manufacturer, rep for one, or have anything to do with one. I do know that Havis and Jotto are the only 2 that manufacture a drop in console (that attach with screws/bolts, not tape) for that and many other vehicles like it.

Because your mounting preference is the way that you like it, does not make it the best way, or to manufactures spec and/or recomendation.

YOU were the one who stated that the reason that YOU did not want a console was because your upscale vehicle had carbon fiber on the dash and it would not match, so, make it nice and make it match, you will have one of a kind, something for others to look at and say WOW, instead of looking at it now and saying WOW, what a POS. I say substandard because of many things, taped on radio's, wiring that is a mess and not properly protected, and these are the things we can see, what about the rest that we cannot see, under the console/dash/hood?

Your only mistake was posting and not expecting anybody to tell you the truth, the install is a good start, but certainly has issues. I guess I am no one to slam anyone, and I didn't, I pointed out what I saw to be problems, you got an attitude about it. As far as loose portables, I am guilty, but frankly, I own enough legit XTS5K's to have paid for a Denali, you have what, 2K worth of radios in a 50K truck, and didn't take the time to do an install deserving of such a vehicle.

I unfortunatly cannot get a console in my car(s), as of yet I have not found a way or a manufacturer to make one for a DTS or the new STS, so I am stuck with portables, I can use a Setcom on either of my Harley's. And nope, I don't have the need for a mobile.

There is nothing HACK about your install, except........ most all of it. But it is your side hobby, and yes, I am a professional installer. As far as my previous occupation, it was with the gov't, yes, I doubt that you could ever do the job I did, maybe you ought to do a google search on it.

I'll keep my opinion's to myself next time (yeah right), feel free to come out and look over some of my installs, be glad to show you around to some of the local sights as well. Bring your truck so I can get a first hand looksee at it.

Next time don't post on a public forum and ask people to only comment if they have anything good to say.

SG

What radios do you own?: G40

Post by ab »

Wow cleaned up control heads,looks good in the pics.

But Nate let me ask you........

you did not power up the siren from that jack in the console did you? well maybe it will ok for the back lights.

you did not 1/4 20's to mount the spectra head? well you did use 4 of them because the headliner is so thin on GM trucks and you not using a mic hanging down like a super trucker cb'er.

where are the mics by the way? if you can't transmit on them why not use one of your scanners you sell?

what kind of pen did you use on the blue tape labels on the coax cables? I can not read them is the pic I hope can in a few years.
next time use more the one color or number strips on cable

what kind stuff or tool do you use to get to that super 3M type off your dash when you remove the mcs head? may 2 small holes would have been easy for a pro to fix.

why not show the power hookups under the hood? sorry forgot the cigar lighter speed hook up.

when you loom the wires under the seat are going to use gold to show them off better?

don't get mad ....just asking
ab

still lurking here
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL

Post by PhillyPhoto »

Looking through those pictures more closely, it looks to me like he has a CD changer in his car. When I was looking the though havis catalog, I don't recall seeing mounting brackets for any CD changers. Maybe Jotto has them. But I know, a good installer could manufacture something this simple on the fly. And on that note, if you're a great installer, I'm sure you could manufacture something for your Cadillac. I'm with you, and would like to see pictures of the engine compartment.

These pictures are from another post, and what's this? Not every single milimeter of wire isn't loomed! OH THE HUMANITY! And why wouldn't they just buy scanners? Radios suck when recieving signals, and they serve no purpose if you can't TX on them.

http://www.allcommtechnologies.com/wbz_truck6.html

Who cares people. The way people install radios/scanners/sirens/lights in there vehicle, personal or company, is up to them. I personally don't like the installs of 15 CB's and low band radios in a 1990 ford windstar minivan, but if they want to seen in public with it, God bless them. But I know if they had a console mounted to the manufacturer's mounting locations, and the radio god's personal OK to TX on the radios it would be ok.
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

Your right, it is a changer/DVD player, and should function for the Navigation system as well.

No one makes a mount for that item that I am aware of, hence the custom install, one of a kind. And yes, I would manufacture one if I had to. A little cutting/welding and powder coating goes a long way. It would not be simple or quick, but OE looking when done.

If it's for you, and all you have in it is time, then it's not a big issue.

The consoles in either of my Caddy's is not wide enough for radio gear, I have had them apart and looked into it though. I had looked into W3's, but XTS5K's are near the same price, plus, I don't have to worry about some Tool busting a window and trying to steal them.

But FWIW, I am great, as are others on this board that are good at what they do.

I too want to see under the hood of the Denali, something tells me we never will. I did notice the lighter plug that seems to go to nowhere that is in the console, what is it powering?

Not all that wire is loomed, but the parts that most likely will chafe are. We all know that a radio receiver is far better than a scanner. But the point about no mics does raise a question or two.

was LuiePL

Post by PhillyPhoto »

I have a charger like the one near the siren for my Nextel phone, and it looks to me like he has a Nextel phone charging next to his navi screen. I don't see the problem with one mic. The two MCS have the same mic plug, so it would take all of two seconds to change from one radio to another. Maybe he doesn't want three microphones. When I install my radio, I will be remote mounting the microphone, and unless you look up you won't understand what the mic is for, because I don't want a "trucker mic" hanging down from the remote head.

And if some "Tool" were to break into his ride, he would have to get the head, radio and cables, which just means more time. And in my area, Motorola radios aren't a hot comodity on the street. The only ones that have been stolen lately from around here was by a member of an EMS squad that had unrestricted access to the EMS rigs. So actually by him NOT having a console is an added benefit, because it's not just a couple screws and you have the radio. So you're making his argument for him.

Maybe you have a "Bat Belt" and carry around every portable you own when you leave your vehicle, and go off to your contract cleaning job, but not everyone can be as cool as you.
ab

Post by ab »

"why wouldn't they just buy scanners? Radios suck when recieving signals, and they serve no purpose if you can't TX on them"............uh room. 1 scanner or 3 heads? MCSs suck on rx. poor front end is like a scanner.

"I don't recall seeing mounting brackets for any CD changers" make them

I bet SG uses belt clips on his XTSs, I do so they always with me ( like my glock ) so when someone calls me, I hear them.
ab

still lurking here
ab

Post by ab »

HEY "Bat Belt" cool, can I buy one at hamsexy.com or wackersRus.com
ab

still lurking here
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

Daggone, Luie must be related to Nate.

That phone is in a car kit, I have never seen one(car kit) that plugs into the lighter plug. Maybe he can use one mic for 2 MCS's, but not for the Spectra, of course, since he most likely isn't supposed to be on that sys, he doesn't need a mic, right?

Crackheads don't care what they steal to get a fix, but I know Philly doesn't have a crack or meth problem, right? Plus then you have a great mess to clean up afterwards. I don't work the cleaner job anymore, it takes a toll after a few years.

So here's the breakdown as I see it.............

Nate has a 800 Mhz W7, he is in Buck's County, they are on a 500 Mhz system, what's wrong with this picture, I would guess that someone is hacking onto someone else's system without their knowledge.

Nate also hardly ever uses his siren (his words) because fire personnel in PA cannot use a siren, unless they are the Chief, Assistant Chief, Deputy Chief etc.

Since Nate is not the above people, he is also most likely not allowed to be on the system with his own personal radio. I am sure I can get the state statutes on this with a little digging.

So here he is, on a public forum, showing off his hacked radio(from W5 to W7), on a system he hacked onto, with equipment he is not allowed to have, much less to use........ smart guy.

was LuiePL

Post by PhillyPhoto »

ab wrote:"why wouldn't they just buy scanners? Radios suck when recieving signals, and they serve no purpose if you can't TX on them"............uh room. 1 scanner or 3 heads? MCSs suck on rx. poor front end is like a scanner.

I bet SG uses belt clips on his XTSs, I do so they always with me ( like my glock ) so when someone calls me, I hear them.
Room? in case you haven't noticed, he's not driving a Miata, so I don't think room is really much of an issue, and clearly if you want to listen to more than one thing, you're going to need to have more than one thing to listen to.

Let's all run out to our backyard shed, and fabricate a sheet metal console, and while we're at it, do some heavy body work. It must be nice to have easy access to these resources, but not everyone else does. Maybe it's that glock that lets you have free range? I have no problem with anyone having belt clips, but SG is implying that if you have a mobile radio in your vehicle, it HAS to be bolted ten ways till Sunday, or not at all.
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

LOL now I'm finding all this he said she said and finger pointing funny... Hey SG why dont we get the tape measures out and settle this once and for all...
Your "breakdown" is a little left of center and the only part of it you got right was that the spectra was upgraded from W5 to W7.
The fact is you dont know me and I dont know you so I dont think your in any position to be making blanket assusmptions like you have decided to do.
The pictures and requests from the above posts about the engine compartment and yes that adapter is charging my Nextel are on the way.
Talk about me and system issues etc... perhaps you would like to explain the 20 XTS5000s you claim to have (cause after all you have enough of those to have bought a denali) what systems are you etc.
hmmmmm
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

20????????? WTFO @ 6K a pop, I don't think it would take 20 to buy a Denali.

I still work for a 3 letter agency, Alex can confirm.

There are only 2 800 sys's in your area, Philly and Montgomery County, so who's are you on?

I can make assumptions all day long, I get paid to do it.

You are also assuming that I don't know you, still want to keep this public? At least you will get your post count up. I am sure that this thread will be locked quite soon. It has become a quarrel more than a bit of "let me show you something and get some advice" type of thing.

You posted, I didn't agree with what you did and responded. The horse is dead, you may want to quit beating it now.

SG

Post by spectragod »

LuiePL wrote:
ab wrote:"why wouldn't they just buy scanners? Radios suck when recieving signals, and they serve no purpose if you can't TX on them"............uh room. 1 scanner or 3 heads? MCSs suck on rx. poor front end is like a scanner.

Room? in case you haven't noticed, he's not driving a Miata, so I don't think room is really much of an issue, and clearly if you want to listen to more than one thing, you're going to need to have more than one thing to listen to.

Let's all run out to our backyard shed, and fabricate a sheet metal console, and while we're at it, do some heavy body work. It must be nice to have easy access to these resources, but not everyone else does. Maybe it's that glock that lets you have free range? I have no problem with anyone having belt clips, but SG is implying that if you have a mobile radio in your vehicle, it HAS to be bolted ten ways till Sunday, or not at all.
To some people, installation is a craft, to others, it is a hack fest. Like they say, any job worth doing is worth doing well.

If your going to permanently mount a radio, it should be bolted in. You must either be related to nate or the one who helped him do the install.

As far as easy access to resources, it just amounts to work hard and invest in tools that you can actually use.

But I understand, I am the bad guy for expressing an opinion.

SG

Post by Res168cue »

As requested by a few, here are pictures for the engine compartment (as you can see loom all around as well as inline fuses) I know its probably not the way you would do it and you know who you are so its done wrong right. As for the plug in the center console that "goes to nothing" its for my nextel which is charging up by the dash. I did this for the simple fact that I didnt want my chager wire exposed and hanging from the DC outlet in the middle of the dash. I also work for a three letter company so whats your point, I dont scare easy so nice try on that.
As you can see in the photos the MCS2000 that has the phone MIC kit setup on it is like I said UHF and the only radio I transmit with. I think we both agree on the simple fact that radios have better recievers than scanner and I will use a radio even if its just for RX any day over a scanner. Once again the other MCS2000 is VHF and the Spectra is 800 both just setup for just RX.
This will be my last post with regards to this whole subject since I guess some people always have to be right. That said YOU are right I am wrong.... My install sucks and you can do better.... You are rich and have 2 Caddys 2 Bikes and 10 XTS5000s (all of which you can transmit on whatever freq you want) You have a shop in your backyard and can make anything custom you want including consoles and mounting hardware, lets not forget CF and leather trim. The only way to install anything is with a console and if you dont use a console you need not post it here.
After all you are GOD.... the alpha and the omega and we should all tremble in your presence.

To all who like the install thank you, I had fun doing it and thought it was an alright job with what I had to work with.

With that I say, Good Day Gentlemen.
MotoTech

Install

Post by MotoTech »

Well this thread has gotten way out of hand! first of al being a X-trouble shooter for the FCC there is nothing illegal or states you can not have radio's or astro products installed in your car! The law states as long as they are not set up with the system key you can have anything you wish to have in the radio or in the car! He may have them programmed like a scanner, or maybe he uses 800 commercial freq's just becuase they are astro's stamped does mean he is using astro format! since the standard spectra hasen't been made for about 10 years. SO IN MY OPINION LAY OFF WHO SHOULD HAVE WHAT IN WHAT! As I do remember it is a free country!

Now on the great Installation work! I think it looks fine and may be what HE wants! nice job very usable and removable! also about getting in a mvc well they are just remote mount heads anyway who gives a F. if the fall off in a accident! if you get into and accident I think you may have more problems then radios rolling around!

Everyone has the right to do an install the way they want to do it! I think it looks good clean and User Freindly.

And someone please close this thread!
M.
firemedic4

Post by firemedic4 »

Nice install. I would like a console better to hide the radios from the public eye . Time to lock lock lock........
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

I agree, it is time to lock. I said the install was a good start, but needed some fine tuning.

As far as the 800 goes, there are only 2 800 systems near him, both of which I am sure he has no business on. Just an opinion, remember, this is a free country.

Great install work, UHHHHHHHH yeah, nice PVC sticking through the firewall...... great.

Wow, and your an ex troubleshooter, ex being the operative word.

Who gives an F, well, he asked for peoples opinion on his install, I gave mine.

Glad you like his work, maybe he can do some for you, don't forget to update your fire insurance.

He never did answer my questions, fire in PA cannot use a siren, is that why it is hidden? What color are his lights? I bet I know the answer to that as well. This goof is a whacker, plain and simple.

And speaking of plain and simple, I notice all those posting in his behalf have very low post counts.... new users, lurkers, don't know, don't care.

He asked for an opinion, I stand by my hack comment based on the tape.

Flame on,
SG

Post by firegood »

Im not getting involved in the poo slingin contest, however i have two things to say. 1) I like the overall installation, although i too am an console person you have the right to do whatever you please. Why did you go to the battery post and not right to the battery? Is there any altenator wine on the radios?

2) Luie, you are my effing hero man.
LuiePL wrote:Looking through those pictures more closely, it looks to me like he has a CD changer in his car. When I was looking the though havis catalog, I don't recall seeing mounting brackets for any CD changers. Maybe Jotto has them. But I know, a good installer could manufacture something this simple on the fly. And on that note, if you're a great installer, I'm sure you could manufacture something for your Cadillac. I'm with you, and would like to see pictures of the engine compartment.

These pictures are from another post, and what's this? Not every single milimeter of wire isn't loomed! OH THE HUMANITY! And why wouldn't they just buy scanners? Radios suck when recieving signals, and they serve no purpose if you can't TX on them.

http://www.allcommtechnologies.com/wbz_truck6.html

Who cares people. The way people install radios/scanners/sirens/lights in there vehicle, personal or company, is up to them. I personally don't like the installs of 15 CB's and low band radios in a 1990 ford windstar minivan, but if they want to seen in public with it, God bless them. But I know if they had a console mounted to the manufacturer's mounting locations, and the radio god's personal OK to TX on the radios it would be ok.
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

Is there any altenator wine on the radios?
No none at all...
Last edited by Res168cue on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

Res168cue wrote: As requested by a few, here are pictures for the engine compartment (as you can see loom all around as well as inline fuses) I know its probably not the way you would do it and you know who you are so its done wrong right. As for the plug in the center console that "goes to nothing" its for my nextel which is charging up by the dash. I did this for the simple fact that I didnt want my chager wire exposed and hanging from the DC outlet in the middle of the dash. I also work for a three letter company so whats your point, I dont scare easy so nice try on that.
As you can see in the photos the MCS2000 that has the phone MIC kit setup on it is like I said UHF and the only radio I transmit with. I think we both agree on the simple fact that radios have better recievers than scanner and I will use a radio even if its just for RX any day over a scanner. Once again the other MCS2000 is VHF and the Spectra is 800 both just setup for just RX.
This will be my last post with regards to this whole subject since I guess some people always have to be right. That said YOU are right I am wrong.... My install sucks and you can do better.... You are rich and have 2 Caddys 2 Bikes and 10 XTS5000s (all of which you can transmit on whatever freq you want) You have a shop in your backyard and can make anything custom you want including consoles and mounting hardware, lets not forget CF and leather trim. The only way to install anything is with a console and if you dont use a console you need not post it here.
After all you are GOD.... the alpha and the omega and we should all tremble in your presence.

To all who like the install thank you, I had fun doing it and thought it was an alright job with what I had to work with.

With that I say, Good Day Gentlemen.
You know, if you ask for advice, most anyone here will give it. What you did was go and do the install yourself with little or no guidence, then put it on the board and ask for opinions.

For the most part is is not bad, still, the equipment should be mounted securely. I don't really care if it is how I or someone else would have done it, as long as it is safe.

I was curious about the plug in the console, and only asked.

Your 3 letter company ends in FD, mine does not, I was not trying to scare you, you asked why I had 10 XTS5K's, I was offering info that I used them for my job.

MCS beats a scanner any day of the week.

This will be my last post on this topic as well. I am not rich, I have just done well for myself, made some good life choices. You must have too, or you could not afford a new Denali.

I do not have a shop in my backyard, but I do have a shop. I have a lot of connections to get the supplies I need to do a job to the customers requirements.

As far as vehicles, you brought it up that everyone who put your work down drives a POS, FWIW, I also have a Trailblazer, E250 and a CV.

You do not need a console to mount anything, you are proof of that. It just depends on how nice you want the install to be, as to how far you take it.

I am not a god, none have ever trembled in my presence, they usually never get a chance to. hahahaha

You have a swell day,
SG

Not wanting to fuel a fire

Post by chiefhal3 »

Hey, I don't want to fuel a fire here so please don't start back the flaming on my account. But as per board policy I am placing my post here since it relates specifically to this topic.

I just got a 2006 Yukon XL Denali. Am wanting to install two Astro Spectras, one 800 and one VHF. The VHF will also have a siren DEK box attached. I am looking at the Havis Sheild unit but don't know how to accomodate the six disc cd changer in the current console. Does anyone have any specific knowledge of how much slack may be available to move the changer forward into position for the Havis console and what brackets are needed to hold the cd changer in the console?
"Once man has hunted armed man and liked it there is no other hunt like it."
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

I have pulled my 6 Disc changer many times just to work around the area in the console... There is slack that you can work with id say 8 - 12 inches you may have to extend the harness that plugs into the back though to acomplish what you have in mind...
chiefhal3
Batboard $upporter

Havis

Post by chiefhal3 »

Havis technical support emailed me back and said that their console for the Yukon would not work in the Denali models. I guess that leaves me looking at other options. Anyone good a vacuum forming plastic?
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

Just an FYI you might want to 2nd guess Havis and the answer they gave you... I live not to far from their Headquaters and have been there many times for consoles parts etc... To be honest the parts/cust service counter at times leaves something to be desired, its almost like they don't want to be bothered. I am almost 100% sure there is no difference between the Yukon or Yukon Denali center consoles aside from some upscale trim / styling in the denali. So if had a few spare minutes i'd go to a GM dealer and look at both the Yukon and Yukon Denali to compare the 2 and if its the same then order the console from Havis and don't let them tell you it won't work... I have found them to be wrong in the past...

Just my thoughts...
60A
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, XPR7550, APX6000

Post by 60A »

Res168cue, great install! All that matters is that it works for you. I happen to think it looks pretty slick myself. Don't let the man get ya down, some people just like to hear themselves talk.
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

Thanks for the kind words...
Yea I guess that has proven itself to be true time and time again.
chiefhal3
Batboard $upporter

Differences

Post by chiefhal3 »

I have seen the console for a Yukon XL and my Denali and have found that while they appear quite similiar other than the wood grain trim, they are also in fact different diminsions and shape. The contour of the curve on the side is much sharper in the Yukon XL vs. the Yukon XL Denali. The angles are also different. I don't think the Havis product or the Jotto product will work. However, I am thinking of ordering one anyways and see if I can get a local sheet metal shop to replace the sides with some black anodized aluminum cut to shape.
Res168cue

Post by Res168cue »

Yea nothing ventured nothing gained. I'm sure you could get someone to work on making it fit for you, and if not I'm sure there is some sort of return policy from Havis...
Good Luck with it and let me know things work out for you!

-Nate
PhillyPhoto
was LuiePL

Post by PhillyPhoto »

Res168cue wrote:As for the last few posts slamming my install on a number of levels this is my response....

This is a "hack" install, wooden console and all. More pictures/full story here

Scannerbuff922

I think you should be positive loser?.

Post by Scannerbuff922 »

spectragod wrote:I agree, it is time to lock. I said the install was a good start, but needed some fine tuning.

As far as the 800 goes, there are only 2 800 systems near him, both of which I am sure he has no business on. Just an opinion, remember, this is a free country.

Great install work, UHHHHHHHH yeah, nice PVC sticking through the firewall...... great.

Glad you like his work, maybe he can do some for you, don't forget to update your fire insurance.

He never did answer my questions, fire in PA cannot use a siren, is that why it is hidden? What color are his lights? I bet I know the answer to that as well. This goof is a whacker, plain and simple.

And speaking of plain and simple, I notice all those posting in his behalf have very low post counts.... new users, lurkers, don't know, don't care.

Flame on,
SG

Dude, for one, why don't you go out somewhere and go get a 5 Cent Handjob from your neihborhood prositute. Because all the crap you say to people is either negative or wow i got better things then you. I think you just like going after people just because you probually don't have the things you wish you could afford like others can, but i ain't going there. Now for the 800mhz system the guy uses, it's none of you business, one thing is he knows what hes uses it for and i am sure he uses those radio for a good purpose, IF you want to call people whackers i can show you them, i bet you will appear in the mirror for showing you a whacker, I know a couple and one of them i know is the biggest, he's always telling me what he's getting and :o, and carries around a Kenwood portable for nothing. His dad use to be in a fire company where i use to be, his father got thrown out and alot of people did'nt like him and :o, like he would respond 20 to 30 minutes after the initial call with blues going all the way, But anyways his dad and the kid i know still drive around in there car with the fire companies fire plates still on, thats a whacker. But yea, If the guy has radio's in his car then it means he uses it for a purpose, Now he even could be on the Emergency Management Dept. for Phili or Montco. Like i siad it's for him to know and you to find out which will prob. be forever because your a dumbs***, i see alot of post from you that are always negative and nothing positive. I want to see actual pictures of your ride and all the gadgets inside and don't be posting :o from your friends or some pictures of the internet. Because can track down where you got them from, Because i do it as a living for people tracking down info on things over internet or not. I really think SG you don't have a life and the only thing that makes you feel good is to pick on other peoples talented installs because you S*** at doing talented things (Wanna BE). I'll tell ya, i am talented in some ways and you know res168ue may have 3m tape on his installs, thats his choice, thats his choice if something goes wrong that those things can go flying. (ITS HIS CHOICE NO ONE ELSE'S), Just like seat belt laws they can try to enforce it but you know it really is the driver or the passengers decision and choice to wear it. If he post's pictures of his 3m tape mounted radio's thats good thats the way he wanted the setup, Just like my set up, i have one whelen Tir3 and one Whelen strobe lighthead with clear lense, one thing i like about it is that i wanted to test and compare a stobe against a LED and i will say the led brights out the clear strobe by a light, but what's unique about the setup is that one's strobe and one's LED and they naturally alternate together just by the delay time in the power i guess, but you know people are going to say thats a shitty install LED and Strobe, Blah, your instal S***'s, like i give a :o, i installed it and it's still there i like the ideal. Plus i would rather spend my money on other :o then wasting my money on whacker :o, but i may say everyone in here is a whacker. So yea you can't hide from it, just like a Marine (Jarhead) Your always a Jarhead and you can't hide from that pride. So yea you get my point SG, Maybe comment i some positive things instead of having your three fingers up your a** saying negative :o because you actually wish you could do something similiar. I am done enough writing to this negative comment writer.
Charlied
What radios do you own?: MTS2000

Post by Charlied »

I B T L
KI4ISE
spectragod

Re: I think you should be positive loser?.

Post by spectragod »

Scannerbuff922 wrote:
spectragod wrote:I agree, it is time to lock. I said the install was a good start, but needed some fine tuning.

Flame on,
SG

Dude, for one, why don't you go out somewhere and go get a 5 Cent Handjob from your neihborhood prositute. Because all the crap you say to people is either negative or wow i got better things then you. I think you just like going after people just because you probually don't have the things you wish you could afford like others can, but i ain't going there. Now for the 800mhz system the guy uses, it's none of you business, one thing is he knows what hes uses it for and i am sure he uses those radio for a good purpose, IF you want to call people whackers i can show you them, i bet you will appear in the mirror for showing you a whacker, I know a couple and one of them i know is the biggest, he's always telling me what he's getting and :o, and carries around a Kenwood portable for nothing. His dad use to be in a fire company where i use to be, his father got thrown out and alot of people did'nt like him and :o, like he would respond 20 to 30 minutes after the initial call with blues going all the way, But anyways his dad and the kid i know still drive around in there car with the fire companies fire plates still on, thats a whacker. But yea, If the guy has radio's in his car then it means he uses it for a purpose, Now he even could be on the Emergency Management Dept. for Phili or Montco. Like i siad it's for him to know and you to find out which will prob. be forever because your a dumbs***, i see alot of post from you that are always negative and nothing positive. I want to see actual pictures of your ride and all the gadgets inside and don't be posting :o from your friends or some pictures of the internet. Because can track down where you got them from, Because i do it as a living for people tracking down info on things over internet or not. I really think SG you don't have a life and the only thing that makes you feel good is to pick on other peoples talented installs because you S*** at doing talented things (Wanna BE). I'll tell ya, i am talented in some ways and you know res168ue may have 3m tape on his installs, thats his choice, thats his choice if something goes wrong that those things can go flying. (ITS HIS CHOICE NO ONE ELSE'S), Just like seat belt laws they can try to enforce it but you know it really is the driver or the passengers decision and choice to wear it. If he post's pictures of his 3m tape mounted radio's thats good thats the way he wanted the setup, Just like my set up, i have one whelen Tir3 and one Whelen strobe lighthead with clear lense, one thing i like about it is that i wanted to test and compare a stobe against a LED and i will say the led brights out the clear strobe by a light, but what's unique about the setup is that one's strobe and one's LED and they naturally alternate together just by the delay time in the power i guess, but you know people are going to say thats a shitty install LED and Strobe, Blah, your instal S***'s, like i give a :o, i installed it and it's still there i like the ideal. Plus i would rather spend my money on other :o then wasting my money on whacker :o, but i may say everyone in here is a whacker. So yea you can't hide from it, just like a Marine (Jarhead) Your always a Jarhead and you can't hide from that pride. So yea you get my point SG, Maybe comment i some positive things instead of having your three fingers up your a** saying negative :o because you actually wish you could do something similiar. I am done enough writing to this negative comment writer.
WOW Mark!!

Have you ever thought of taking up letter writing professonally?

You felt the need to post on a 9 month old topic, what's up with that? Once agian, a low poster coming to the rescue.

Nice web site you have there, lots of great info, once you get past the grammer.

You should read the rules about posting on this site before you start making references to prostitutes.

I can afford more than your average 19 YO gamer can, I can guarentee that.

He has no business being on a trunk system that he is not supposed to be on, every time his (hacked) radio affiliates, it transmits, I.E. it is transmitting on a system that it is not supposed to be on.

I'm not a whacker, but you were, and want to be again, as per you page on MySpace.

Your boyfriend is not with the EMA, I checked.

If you want to see my cars, come on by, I would give you may address, but apparently, you can track me down, so what would the point be?

You right, everyone sucks..... but I suck less.

Maybe you can use double sided tape and velcro for your seatbelt, in the event of an accident, the gene pool would be cleaner.

You have three fingers up your a$$, that's interesting, can you submit a photo ??

Also, you should spend some of your $$$$ on a spell checker and some writing skills training, just my opinion.

SG
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

Lock, lock, lock

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”