Building a MT1000 battery pack - have questions

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

AHSGA

Building a MT1000 battery pack - have questions

Post by AHSGA »

Hello,

I am building a alkaline battery pack out of a gutted rechargable. Inside I found several components besides the leaking nicads. One diode, one resister, one small black thing and one cased item, labeled "pepi n-1".

Should I include any of these items in my battery pack and what the heck is the pepi thing? I would guess the diode prevents reverse voltage and the resister is a current limiting device.

A rs 8 cell pack slides into these packs no problem.

Thanks

I did order a muliplier 5070A disposable pack to try out. Out of the bag, 16.3 volts. I haven't tried out yet.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Just toss all the internals and wire your new battery pack directly to the top terminals.

The other components are just for controlling charging rate and short circuit protection across the charging contacts, charging rate, temperature of the pack, etc etc... Not needed for your use.

Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
AHSGA

Post by AHSGA »

Thanks for the reply. I'll wire the pack directly as suggested.

Regards
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

What was the part number of the radio shack cell holder you used?
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

AHSGA

Post by AHSGA »

It's a standard part out of their drawers:

8 AA Battery Holder
Model: 270-407
"This battery holder holds 8 AA batteries and has a snap connector design for easy installation".

It slides in sideways with about zero clearance. Gutting the old battery case is a PITA.

Regards
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Cool, that should work nice then since its such a good fit.

And yes, i know how big of a pain it is gutting them. I have done a half dozen of them now, never seems to get easier, lol.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”