Who Makes a VoIP Remote

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Birken Vogt

Who Makes a VoIP Remote

Post by Birken Vogt »

We have a new trunking system using TK-7180s and I think we might want to remote an answering service to one. Seems like it ought to be real simple. The catch might be that the answering service should be able to tell if the system is busy when they hit the PTT. But the likleyhood of that happening in the current config is pretty slim since they only work at night. But I suppose it could happen that we get a remote dispatch for a new customer that wants to be on in the day too. Any solutions that work good?

Birken
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

In the 'wired world', you'd need a 4-wire tone remote, so that when you press the PTT button on the handset, you can also receive the talk permit, busy, etc tones in the earpiece at the same time. Of course, if you're using the handsfree button, the handsfree speaker mutes when you transmit to avoid feedback, so you wouldn't hear the tones even with a 4-wire remote.

The same scenario is possible using VoIP. I know Telex (through their 'Vega' subsidiary) makes several different VoIP consoles, from simple remote style units to fully computerized consoles.

Also, /\/\y 2 Cents here on the board also has VoIP products which can do what you're looking for. It's best to PM him about it if you're interested.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
n1pfc

Post by n1pfc »

We've got a couple VoIP solutions set up right now using the Telex products.

Despite what their marketing guys tell you, you do *NOT* have to have a VPN set up between the 2 networks for basic functionality to work. Some features require it (such as ping tests to see if the remote is still alive and kicking on the other end). In general it's best to use VPN, but if its a connection that the audio isn't of a sensitive nature it works just fine.

Have done it no VPN from my house to work over DSL on my end and cable modem on work's end.

Kurt
I am <I>NOT</I> Hamsexy
Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt »

I assume it should work fine over regular consumer grade asynchronous DSL/cable...I don't think it should take up that much bandwidth should it?

Does Telex make a simple Windows based terminal for it instead of buying the standalone remote I wonder? Might it be a bad idea for one reason or another?

Birken
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

They have a PC based console that sends all the audio over the LAN using the PC's sound card for everything. You design the button layout and stuff yourself so it can be as customized as you want. However, it is also about $6,000 from what I recall. There is no simple inexpensive "PC Based Deskset" if that's what you are looking for.

I need to make a comment regarding the networking and WAN connections here. If all of this is on a LAN that doesn't go across the internet to anything, it is very simple. All you need is a reliable LAN. You need something other than a off-the-shelf linksys router running it. You can't be unplugging the router to reset it every time it has a bad day.

If you need to go across the internet, you need to think about how reliable your communications need to be. If this is a system the needs Max uptime and fast repairs, a consumer internet connection via DSL or cable modems is not the way to do this. You would need something along the lines of a T1 for that. If you call the telco to complain about your connection being down, you get it fixed now with a T1. If you call to complain about your DSL account not working, you get Akmel Alibaba and a service ticket they might get to this week. This is the reason I haven't tried to impliment VoIP radio equipment for the FD. It would make things really simple to build out but I can' do it with our DSL connection. A T1 is doable but more expensive than we are willing to do right now.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt »

Yeah, I understand...what got me started on this is we provide service to a towing company who has an answering service at night which is on the fringe of our coverage. We seem to have gotten the problem solved with the radio link but if the owner should decide to switch answering services or some other customer comes online using an answering service in New Delhi or wherever I am trying to get the contingency sorted out in my mind here.

Birken
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Drives me absolutely nuts.... These people are chrging an arm and leg for this crap... It is cheap technology, it should cost $6,000.00....

Check this out, and complete set up for about $600.00

http://www.digitalacoustics.com/

A post on here had a gentlemen that said it worked well, give it a try. When I get some extra $$$$ I will experiment.

You can intergrate the Mii3 intercom module to a tone remote and use one of the on board GPIO's for ptt/cor-cos.

- Rob
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

Birken,

I make a very nice VoiP remote that will let you talk from any computer in the world with 33.6kbps internet connection or better to your radios. It's only about $350 or so plus a interface cable for your specific radio/repeater you want to control. If you want to try and demo our virtual base station you can go to our website at http://www.criticalrf.com and download a demo that will allow you to talk from your PC to me and some of my staff on a UHF LTR PassPort system down here in Ft. Lauderdale/Boca Raton using HT1250LS+, Kenwood Tk-380/880. When you are all ready to set it up, email me and I will take you through it and get you all squared away. This way you can try it before you buy it. Let me know if you want to give it a whirl.

Regards,
Steve Calabrese
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Steve, I sent you an IM.. Give me a shout back. Thanks, Rob
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

Just sent you a PM and gave you the set up syntax. I've my portable cranked so just give me a shout.

Steve
Astroboy

Post by Astroboy »

Over here we have a company called omnitronics,
there getting right in to Voip Radio.
http://www.omnitronics.com.au

have a look if you need any info i am a dealer of theres
pm if i can help
n1pfc

Post by n1pfc »

Birken Vogt wrote:I assume it should work fine over regular consumer grade asynchronous DSL/cable...I don't think it should take up that much bandwidth should it?

Does Telex make a simple Windows based terminal for it instead of buying the standalone remote I wonder? Might it be a bad idea for one reason or another?

Birken
It's called C-Soft... it's a lot more versatile than a regular hard remote as you can lay out the console any way you want and change things as you see fit or as needs change.

Kurt
I am <I>NOT</I> Hamsexy
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

yes or check out Virtual Base Station by Critical RF. Go to http://www.criticalrf.com to download the console demo and talk to someone on th e company trunking system or repeater with a mobile and portable radio from your PC. This way you can see if you like the voice quality and get a first hand experience on just how easy it is to set everything up.

Regards,
Steve Calabrese
(803)474-4745

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”