Motorola Syntor X9000 Programming Question

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ENG4INE

Motorola Syntor X9000 Programming Question

Post by ENG4INE »

I'm rather new to programming radios, but so far I have been able to program my Low Band and VHF Syntor X9000's without any problems. For my latest project, I am considering upgrading my Motorola Mocom 70 base station radio to a Syntor X9000 (Low Band). I would somehow like to be able to run a second audio line from the radio and be able to plug into my computer's Line In jack (would require a 1/8" male end) for the purpose of recording dispatch audio. I was looking at the RSS software for the Syntor X9000 today and saw that one of the options for the VIP output was "Speaker Pod." I was unable to find much additional info on this option from the RSS help menu, and wondered if this was the answer to my problem. Is the speaker pod output just a way to connect an additional external speaker? If so, I'm assuming that only 2 of the 3 VIP output pins would need to be set to this feature. Right now I'm just running a line into my computer from my desktop scanner, but I miss a lot of the transmissions due to my location and the small antenna. I am hoping that by utilizing the base radio connected to a telephone pole mounted antenna that I can pick up more mobile and portable radio transmissions. If anyone has any alternative suggestions I'm willing to give them a try as well.

Also, how much would it take to connect an MRTI unit to a Syntor X9000, so that I could use the DTMF function from my mobile radio and make phone calls using my home phone line? I've seen the Motorola MRTI 1000's on eBay, and I also think that I would probably need to add a DTMF personality board to the radio. I was just curious if the MRTI requires programming or if it's just plug and play once connected to a base radio and telephone line. Like I said, I'm new to radios and I still have a lot to learn so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Seth
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Seth, you would have to tap into the speaker line to do what you want to do. You will probably need to use some kind of isolation between the radio and the computer sound card, as the speaker output is a balanced line, and it will blow the audio output if you connect either side to 'ground'. I don't know if the 'ground' side of your computer could possibly be common to the 'ground' of your radio chassis, but I wouldn't take the chance myself.

As for the 'speaker pod' selection in the VIP port programming, it is not a speaker output. It is (normally) used with dual-head setups. What it does is drive a relay when you switch to the 'other' head. The relay simply breaks the speaker line when the head is not in use.

I can't help you with the MRTI unit, as I know nothing about them. If you were talking about being able to send DTMF with an X9000 mobile, then you will indeed need a DTMF card installed in the radio, or a DTMF mic in place of the regular one, to be able to send DTMF with it.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-

Return to “Radio Programming”