Really OLD Motorola pager

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

I cam across this old radio, leather covered thing, more box-like than anything.
Metal tag reads " Galvin Mfg, Chicago, Ill "

Sheet explains, hold button down, wait, listen for page.

This thing has tubes, and not the really tiny things.

No crystal, tuned Osc, somewhere around 2 to 3 MHz.

What looks a tiny bit like a badge stamped on, very worn, Detroit?.

Belt slot on back, wide, very brittle.

Oxblood?, colored.

Anybody have any answers?.
radioEd

Post by radioEd »

I'd like to see a pic of that! got a cam? Ed
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

Sounds like the receiver from Galvin's(Motorola's) first handie talkies, they had two seperate peices, a transmitter and a receiver.

Frank
radioEd

Post by radioEd »

Cowthief! you have a pic. of this unit? Ed
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

Will try to get pix.
found date code, Mar 1938.
Found another Moto radio, this thing has a speedometer like flex-shaft that goes to a control head, mechanical, this connects with a 200 series telephone handset, again, no crystal, VFO, the antenna shows to be a wire screen, this is correct?.
The unit is in 3 boxes, Rec is in on box, Trans is another, RX/TX control and PS ' batterys, another.
This stuff comes from a trucking company that has been in business since the 1920s,
Pixs of some early radio shows it was mounted on the running board, perhaps the same model.
Early station was under the federal radio commission, before the FCC by a few years.
Will try to get some of this stuff working.
What does the matching transmitter look like?.
Everybody I talked to said there was no portable TX, just mobile and base, but we are talking as much as 75 years ago, perhaps someone remembers.

Thank You.

Thank You.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Post by Cowthief »

Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

Have one working, transmit 2.1 MHz, AM, around 3 wattts, Rec, all of the normal AM, but by setting the "coil" pointer 'band-select' one can go to around 4 MHz top end.
No EL caps, just paper and mica, some, if not all, were replaced before.
Because the mobile was fixed several times before I decided to try and make it work.

The portable "pager" however, seems to be all original, should I even try to repair it
?, I have not even tried to apply power.
I have all the parts that were taken out of circuit from the mobile as well as some "new" old parts, mostly strange old stuff.
radioEd

Post by radioEd »

Operating in the FIXED MOBILE part of the band! but 70 years ago? hum? Maritime Mobil?
http://www.ntia.doc.gov:80/osmhome/allo ... octbl.html

Here's a good link...Ed
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

The transmitter is now on 160 meters, just had to figure things out, what it was on to begin with?, who knows, remember, no "rocks"

The RX, very poor, no image reject, sens, .9 just to HEAR a signal, This silly thing runs AM!, when was sideband invented?.

This is a Automobile-Mobile Radio Outfit, Galvin MFG, Chicago, Ill.

Patent 1927,29,30,31, Marcas Registras US, This unit under permit.

This unit has a wafer lock, single sided key, unlocked, no key.

Burgess battery B and C, for maximum life and best tone.

There are lots of things to learn, like a type 80 tube?.
Is that a house number?.

Thank you.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Post by Cowthief »

P.S.

All tubes are large, full octal, nothing in this thing gets anything close to miniture.
Transformers, everywhere, input, output, even the speaker has 2 sets of coils, the voice coil, yes, but also one in the back.
This thing is strange from the start, even the antenna connect, a wingnut!.
Anybody have any idea as to where I can find info?.
My guess, this stuff is smithsonian relics that got away.
radioEd

Post by radioEd »

Found this:
http://www.ieee-uffc.org/fc_history/bot ... k390358083
...interesting reading, It mentions Chicago,Detroit, and goes on? no clues! Take some pic's of it & send it to a contact above! Ed

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: radioEd on 2001-10-29 05:14 ]</font>
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

Neat reading, however, there are no quartz crystals.
The portable has its freq set with an internal air-variable cap, little nut on the end.
The mobile has a control head that is mechanical for tuning, this can set RX, TX might have also been set by it at one time, now fixed by what looks like add-on air-variable "condensers".
Only the portable has some markings, might be detroit, on the leather case.
The mobile unit has a stamped metal plate, Galvin '''''''.
The units might not be in the same era, however, was told they were part of the same radio system.
After WWII, they went to 44.3 MC, around the 50s they went to FM, around the mid 60s they went to "narrow band?" FM at 44.34 MHz.
This all got started because of some Geotek units, I was told that "this will keep you occupied for a while", told NOT to mess with Geotek whatsoever, Sooo.

P.S. Removed the leather a little, a very rusted metal plate is on the back, the leather cracks very easily, will not go further.
I have access to a sony movica digital camera, but the pix are stored on some non-standard format, I will try next month, going out for the month.

Thank You.
radioEd

Post by radioEd »

Mess with Geotek? I heard or saw here on the BBS that Nextell bought Geotek out? Ed
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Post by Cowthief »

The prob' is that we use what was Geotek, now Nextel, and I keep "cracking" things.
Security support 'FBI' is now a bit concerned, we transport hazmat to controlled areas, we use qualcomm omnitracs units as well as immersat, both for tracking and to communicate, as well as low band FM,normally, my forays into the radios draws no attention, but 9/11/01,,,,,.
radioEd

Post by radioEd »

Yep! I see your point...keep us posted on your findings of that unit! Ed
Tron
What radios do you own?: Too many to list

Post by Tron »

If memory serves me, an 80 tube is a rectifer, 4 pin. I'll have to check out one of my old tube manuals for more info.

Tron
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

Found a guy selling SCR536 radios.

The radio is the model right before the police cruiser,

"1936
The Police Cruiser mobile radio, a redesigned car radio preset to a single frequency to receive police broadcasts, is the company's first entry into the new field of mobile radio communications.

http://www.motorola.com/General/Timeline/1930.html

So far, this has been a real learning curve.
Dispatch was right above tha AM broadcast band, some early broadcast radios even have markings for the "police band".
Transmitters that were mobile were very uncommon, the transmit antenna was a very long whip, RX was done with a screen mounted in the roof, wooden,remember?.
The type 80 was replaced with selenium rectifiers, later a vibrator, this all is in the battery box, originally there were 3 sets of batteries, "A" , "B", and "C".
The unit has had some mods, but for the most part as shipped.
The question is, was the TX freq normally preset, or, is the steel bracket with a air-viriable cap a later add-on.
The reason I ask, there looks to be a place for a splined shaft, nothing more.

I am learning about the "command" series of radios of WWII fame, but this is clearly not military in nature.

Thank You.

P.S. this thing is old enough to be grandparents!.
radioEd

Post by radioEd »

Nice work Cowthief! Yep so my grandpa was right too. In upstate NY The Police did operate just above the AM broadcast band! Most likly btw. 1600Kc & 160meters! And they did have antennas that were 100 inchs tall plus! good dectecive work cowthief! Ed
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

took me a while to figure this out, there are 2 radios!, they share a common power supply, one is a motorola broadcast+model, the other is indeed a police cruiser model, the idea was to allow one to both use the radios for RX, one for TX and the other for RX, duplex?.
This was a common "outfit" for chief and other high ranking people of the era.
This is the first one control head, 2 radios ever made by anyone, motorola or other.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

Now that I know what this is, the question is, what is motorolas policy on RSS?.

Actually, this unit made it past WWII scrap heaps because it could not be replaced, after the war, the trucking co replaced its fleet, this unit was put in a box, then left for lots of years, the police had use of this type of radio, in fact this is where I am finding most everything out, the 2 radios are something put together.

I will work on getting pix, as well as scans of "riders" manuals of the things, this, the first of motorolas long line of 2 way radios.

Thank You.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Post by Cowthief »

Thanks to all the people who have helped.

http://www.qsl.net/n6uru/calling.htm

Gives a very complete answer.
Radio 1, right above the AM broadcast band,RX, AM, very low power, TX.
Radio 2, AM, around 1.5 watts, 32+/- MHZ
Radio 3, AM also above the AM broadcast band.

If you listen to the audio of the website, you will hear about the " Radio Police ", :wink:

Again, Thanks EVERYBODY who has been most helpful.
P.S. solid state "vibrators" can be had,

http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/who.htm

Again, THANK YOU.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Post by Cowthief »

Thanks to all the people who have helped.

http://www.qsl.net/n6uru/calling.htm

Gives a very complete answer.
Radio 1, right above the AM broadcast band,RX, AM, very low power, TX.
Radio 2, AM, around 1.5 watts, 32+/- MHZ
Radio 3, AM also above the AM broadcast band.

If you listen to the audio of the website, you will hear about the " Radio Police ", :wink:

Again, Thanks EVERYBODY who has been most helpful.
P.S. solid state "vibrators" can be had,

http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/who.htm

Again, THANK YOU.
Bat Bob
New User

Re: Really OLD Motorola pager

Post by Bat Bob »

If anyone still needs a vibrator I found one for 25.00 on the link below. Mine was a 6 volt positive ground so I had a bit difficult time finding one until I located these guys.

http://www.vintagecarradio.com/accessor ... adios.html
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

Bat Bob wrote:If anyone still needs a vibrator I found one for 25.00 on the link below. Mine was a 6 volt positive ground so I had a bit difficult time finding one until I located these guys.

http://www.vintagecarradio.com/accessor ... adios.html
16 Years Later :o
Jake
Jason

Post by Jason »

Yep, I think that wins the Lazarus Post :o
Jason

IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
d119

Post by d119 »

No kidding... Not to mention Cowthief was identified as a genuine mental case some time ago, so who knows how accurate anything he says is/was.
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Yeah the post may be old but a NEW MEMBER did a search and found it because he had an old vibrator he was letting us all know about.
And I bet postee wasn't around when cow thief pulled his crap which means he wouldn't have a clue about cow thief.
So why dump on him ?
My feeling is welcome to the bd Bat Bob and appreciate the fact you did some search .
Many here complain when some one asks something you could had found with a search and they'll complain you didn't and say so.
I haven't a clue why some need to be that way but hey so be it.
Just remember who and don't bother posting for them since they obviously aren't posting to help you.
Again WELCOME TO THE BD BAT BOB.
Didn't used to be this way = way back during monty scisco time the bd I recall got along much better.
Satelite
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

Satelite wrote:Yeah the post may be old but a NEW MEMBER did a search and found it because he had an old vibrator he was letting us all know about.
And I bet postee wasn't around when cow thief pulled his crap which means he wouldn't have a clue about cow thief.
So why dump on him ?
My feeling is welcome to the bd Bat Bob and appreciate the fact you did some search .
Many here complain when some one asks something you could had found with a search and they'll complain you didn't and say so.
Just remember who and don't bother posting for them since they obviously aren't posting to help you.
Didn't used to be this way = way back during monty scisco time the bd I recall got along much better.
Satelite
Relax man.. nobody is dumping on him. It’s just amusing to see a thread with 16 year old cowthief shenanigans suddenly appear again.
Jake
d119

Post by d119 »

Satelite wrote:Yeah the post may be old but a NEW MEMBER did a search and found it because he had an old vibrator he was letting us all know about.
So why dump on him ?
Satelite
Jesus Christ, Satelite... As usual you are jumping to conclusions.

I merely made a statement about why the post may seem weird. I was not jumping on the OP at all, and I think you are probably the only one who thought I was.

I don't see anyone here on the board "not getting along", I think that exists only in your head. Seriously man - you misinterpret a LOT of stuff. No disrespect, just an observation.

That is all I have to say about that, carry on.
d119

Post by d119 »

NSPD wrote:Relax man.. nobody is dumping on him. It’s just amusing to see a thread with 16 year old cowthief shenanigans suddenly appear again.
Where is the "Like" button... :)
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

-Wait- Cowthief is gone?? :roll:
Jim202

Re: Really OLD Motorola radio history

Post by Jim202 »

Here is a link to some of the original history in how Motorola came to be.
https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_us ... eline.html

This is another link that has a slightly different view on the history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola

Here is a third link on the development of Motorola and the different roads it headed down. But there are a number of popup adds to distract you.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Motorola-Inc

Jim
Jim202

Motorola history

Post by Jim202 »

My last update posting on some of Motorola History. This one has more to do with the management of the company and what changed.
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magaz ... -Motorola/

Those of us that have been around for some time have seen many of the changes that have taken place with Motorola and the radio equipment that has come down the line over the years. At one point in time I was lucky enough to have taken a class on the Motorola campus. The last day of the class included a tour of the museum on the first floor of the building. There you saw each and every box or device Motorola ever made. the older man that was leading us around the room kept asking if anyone knew the name that each of the displayed devices had. Starting with the mobile radio "Dog House", I surprised him by saying that I had worked on those. Even told him they used loctal tubes. He was surprised.

Sorry to slightly steer the thread into the history of the different radios made, but you may find the different radios that the different company names over the years interesting.

Jim

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”