repeater antenna

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

harrisjt2000
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

repeater antenna

Post by harrisjt2000 »

looking for a recomendation for a good repeater antenna that will be on a 75 ft tower the repeater is 100 watts and is in the 460 range
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

Can we assume you are in the huricanne belt.
What is the wind rating on your tower.
How important is the repeater in an emergency?
harrisjt2000
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

erte

Post by harrisjt2000 »

the repater and tower has been where it is at for years, opal came through at cat4 and ivan cat 3 and it held up, its non emergency comms on it and im just replaceing the antenna and cable
Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt »

I am preferential to exposed folded dipoles such as the DB404 and if side mounted with top and bottom support I have a hard time believing that the wind could tear it off without taking a piece of the tower with it. If top mounted then I suppose a fiberglass one would present less wind load to be supported by only one end but also is not as tolerant of lightning as an all aluminum exposed dipole antenna.

Birken
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

Decibel DB636.
Ours survived Ivan when it was Cat5
But It'll cost ya!
RKG

Post by RKG »

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but it is pretty hard to make recommendations for an antenna for a repeated system without becoming quite familiar with the locale, terrain, nature of equipment being used by subscribers, and nature of the service involved.

Just of the top of my head, if I assumed that most of Florida was flat and that your service territory was limited to 3-5 miles from the high site, I'd go with a zero to low gain stacked collinear ("flagpole").

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”