Motorola Cellphone Star Tac 7868

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Motorola Cellphone Star Tac 7868

Post by Jim2121 »

I've been carying this phone since: 1993 or so... Banged it, dropped it,
ect...still works! its a solid good strong one takes lots of abuse.
If & when I have to: I fix it up myself.

I could get Motorola's batteries on ebay? Don't really know if there any good? I've been using LENMR CLM S90 (1050mah 3.6v) I got a powerful digital signal at & around my home/work... I'm looking for someone who sells: LENMAR Batteries who sells them? NIB, but, there getting hard to find.
If anyone can tell me where I can get some, I'd be greatful!

Todays phones got too many bells & whistles! I see my workers drop them 4-5 times & there broken.....(so to say) its an oldie but goodie and I'd like to get a couple of more yrs. out of it.. thanks... Jim Reid

http://www.lenmar.com/
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

I'd say that phone is more 2001/2002, the 7868 is a CDMA Startac that supports tri band operation (CDMA 8001900 and AMPS 800).
FYI the first AMPS startac was the 3000, and appeared in late 1995 and officially, 1996.

They were good phones. Batteries on Ebay for next to nothing. I would stick to OEM Motorola, as this was the first series of phones with the EP charging circuit, and alot of knock off batteries will give the dreaded "invalid battery" message when trying to charge with the plug in charger. Of course if you charge them off the phone in one of those aftermarket shoe chargers...you're ok.

Just a word of warning, assuming you're a Verizon Wirlesss, Alltel, US Cellular or Sprint customer: NEVER DEACTIVATE THAT PHONE, that is, if you want to use it again. The 7868 is not-E911 compliant, and once the ESN is deactivated in your providers' switch, they will refuse to activate it again and will probabbly offer you a newer E911 aGPS enabled phone for nothing.

I know Verizon offered my cousin who had a Star-Tac 7760 (800 band only, non-PCS) a choice of the Nokia 2125 (sucks) or a Motorola E325 (nice phone) for free and no contract extension, if he would just de-activate the old ST. I think he took them up on the offer.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

MTS2000des wrote:Just a word of warning, assuming you're a Verizon Wirlesss, Alltel, US Cellular or Sprint customer: NEVER DEACTIVATE THAT PHONE, that is, if you want to use it again. The 7868 is not-E911 compliant, and once the ESN is deactivated in your providers' switch, they will refuse to activate it again
I support telecomm for a mid-sized hospital as part of a 1200+ bed system. Even with the clout of a large (read major) accout Verizon Wireless would not re-activate legacy AMPS bagphones or CDPD equipment for us,
kd5wyu

Startac

Post by kd5wyu »

(sniff) Damn, I miss my Startac. :(

I carried one of these phones (the 7868W) for years myself. Was a really rugged and good phone, good audio, and good RF perfomance, as you'd expect from gear with the Black Batwing.

I beat that phone to hell and back, and it kept on working like a champ, until one day the RF section decided it didn't like the world any more.

What MTS2000des says is true. I tried to get VZW to put my mom's Startac on my account when she upgraded, and they would not do it, stating "All phones MUST be E911 compliant " line of BS.

I have a Samsung SCH-A650 now, which is OK. Does a lot of useless stuff that I don't want-- GIN (Give Us Money Now!) but isn't a bad phone, especially when you get the data cable and Bitpim set up and working, so you can transfer wallpapers and ringtones and edit the phone book without paying VZW more money...

-b-
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

:

Post by Jim2121 »

thanks for the replies... the LENMAR batteries I got 3 yrs ago at radio shack. The sales rep was about my age & carried the same phone.
Thats how I found out about Lenmar batteries.. 3 years is not bad..

No I won't deactivate the phone, you right, besides when it goes I can keep the same number with more than 1 provider. I have this number over 10 years.
As for the GPS, that dosen't concern me.. I know about the law for cells. to be brief: I forgot the year: All New sold cellphones must have gps after was it 2003 or 2004?
And it dosen't concern ALLtel since I'm on a month to month plan! My work cell is a V60.

Well if you can't find a seller for Lenmar batteries? I haven't done a detailed search... I'm in NM on business. for a week.. I'll try one of the ebay moto batteries MTS2000des, if you know of a ebay user I can buy from.. I see they are advertized as NEW? so thats what keeps me away from ebay..then the bid price is 50 cents or less, I wonder.. If you have an ebay user you know? or read the fine print? EMAIL me so we don't talk about ebay anymore & break one of the batlab rules..... thanks again! more later Jim R----
OX

Post by OX »

Too bad. I just threw out a handful of dead startac 7868's. They all had different problems but I used them for parts.

I have a couple of the car kits that I think works with that version of ST. These had the 3-watt booster, speaker, mic, handset and cradle.

They were nice phones in their day. Definitely another one of the last quality Motorola cells. Except for my I730, it seems to take a beating well.
Wes

Post by Wes »

I have one of these phones still in service and recently I looked on Motorola Business Online to order a battery and they do not show batteries for the 7868W anymore.

This leads me to believe they do not sell them anymore.

I looked on ebay and a couple of online cell phone stores, but still havent purchased one.

Just my $.02

Wes
Wes Hutchens
911 Telecommunicator/2-Way Sales & Service
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jim2121 »

[quote="Wes"]I have one of these phones still in service and recently I looked on Motorola Business Online to order a battery and they do not show batteries for the 7868W anymore.

This leads me to believe they do not sell them anymore.

I looked on ebay and a couple of online cell phone stores, but still havent purchased one.

Just my $.02

Wes[/quote]

Ox, as for parts I have a whole bunch of parts (I need batteries) but even on the bay they sell the star tac phone new.... so my case now is power...
thanks for the help guys..... Jim
MWalkerZone

Post by MWalkerZone »

Jim2121,

I have NIB startac batteries. Drop me a line if you're still looking.

mwalker@batteryzone.com
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

:

Post by Jim2121 »

[quote="MWalkerZone"]Jim2121,

I have NIB startac batteries. Drop me a line if you're still looking.

mwalker@batteryzone.com[/quote]

for $12.99 each... the fine print says 2 yr. warranty! these work! the two I had for almost 3 yrs. are just about dead. 11min talk-time & the batt. has 10% power left.. I wish I posted this sonner. thank you... I'll see what else you have I need.
thanks for all the replies & help out there! Jim Reid

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”