Hide-Away stobe questions.

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

crazyboy

Hide-Away stobe questions.

Post by crazyboy »

Ok, I heard that you should only ground the one wire in the strobe wires at one end. Is this true? Should I ground it at the power supply end? What is everyones recommendation on hole saw types? Also, should I put silicone over the tubes once they are in? And an unrelated question what ga maine feed wire do you usually end up running for your installs? I know it needs to be sized for the equipment but I'm just curious.
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

Also, does anyone have a good source of relays? Thanks
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

ok, you don't ground ANY of the wires in the strobe wiring, you only ground the shielding fpr the wiring bundle (most are red white & black insulated conductors, and then a single unshielded conductor for the shielding - if the wire your running has it) so that residual static gets grounded. Strobes use all three wires, 1 cathode, 1 anode and 1 trigger wire to make each tube work. Ground any of those and you let the magic smoke out...
crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

I was referring to the 1 bare wire.
grilling21

Post by grilling21 »

yeah, that one bare wire is the shielding wire, you don't NEED to ground it, however it is not a bad idea to do, as previously stated

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”