Pro series radio USB programming cable.

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Alex663

Pro series radio USB programming cable.

Post by Alex663 »

My old serial cable for programming HT1250's etc... is showing its age and I want to get a new cable. Ive noticed ebayers selling USB versions but when I look in my CPS R06.06.00 i only see selections for com ports, not USB. So my question is, which cable should I get? Id like USB so I dont have to break out my serial card and dongle all the time, but if the USB requires hacks or anything I dont want to waste my time. Thanks for any input.

Alex
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

never heard of one yet.
Pros still need a rib and a serial port for genuine use
Alex663

Post by Alex663 »

Auction # 170008586291
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

ahhh kawarad....

they always seem to have the strangest "built to OEM specs" things out on the market. Usually it's a crap-shoot. I had one kawa-cable that worked fine, then got a second one that was crimped on backwards. I learned my lesson and bought original, or if it was a patch cable ... made my own.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

The unofficial USB cables tend to just have a USB<->RS232 chip inside, so they show up on the computer as a serial port.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

I mean USB is becomming the go. I bought an HP about a year ago to do programming and unpacked it at the office and no com port.
Anyonr that flashes XTS1500/2500/5000 radios knows how much quicker the USB port is.
Thank god the USB cable is out for the XTL series now, (supported by the latest CPS).
I figure one more year and all my Com port sradios have been replaced. It's then time to buy a Microsofts Ultra PC.
Quantar should go to USB in the next release.

Return to “Radio Programming”