OT how do you get XP to fdisk a hard drive?

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wazzzzzzzzup
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS3000/astro spectra/

OT how do you get XP to fdisk a hard drive?

Post by wazzzzzzzzup »

its been so long since i have needed to fdisk a drive.

did it alot back in the 98 days building systems.
i have a 120GB drive that XP sees in device manager as operating properly, but its not XP formatted (might be mac i dont remember)
and it doesnt come up under windows explorer.

thanks

wazz
think about how to ENCOURAGE Motorola learning safely with GRACE.....NOT condemnation.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Can you see it in My Computer?
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
wazzzzzzzzup
Batboard $upporter

Post by wazzzzzzzzup »

nope.

i see it in add new hardware, and when clicked it says device installed properly. i see it in general device manager with no problems, but going into the tabs under volumes for this drive it says
disk type - unknown, partition - not applicable, status - unreadable
think about how to ENCOURAGE Motorola learning safely with GRACE.....NOT condemnation.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Are the jumpers in the right area?

Have you tried just plugging it in by iteslf? I've had to do that before just so I could format & fdisk it. Once I did that, I was able to put it in with the other drive and use it in XP.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
wazzzzzzzzup
Batboard $upporter

Post by wazzzzzzzzup »

its jumpered as a slave, on a cable by itself.
kd5wyu

Post by kd5wyu »

wazzzzzzzzup wrote:its jumpered as a slave, on a cable by itself.
Stop right there.

If it is on an IDE cable by itself, it needs to be
-on the end of the cable
-jumpered as master or cable select

To format it once you have the system recognizing it, open Computer Management and go to Disk Management.

You should then see the disk there as 120 GB unformatted. Then you can right click on the empty space on that disk's bargraph and choose Format. It'll take a bit, then Windows will assign it a drive letter and you'll have more space to play with.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

whoa whoa whoa....

two ways to do this.

1) you can use the computer management part of the microsoft management console (MMC) which is a GUI way of formatting it (START - ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS - COMPUTER MANAGEMENT)

OR....

2) you can use 'old reliable'. Launch a command shell, type in "diskpart" and use the command line method of doing it...rather similar to diskpart (and *nix's fdisk)

just because you have a drive that shows up in my computer, doesnt' mean you can format it with XP.

Once you get the drive partitioned with 'diskpart' - you need to assign it a drive letter, and then format it. I prefer to do the first two from the command line....for some reason, the MMC still hasn't impressed me yet...although it makes reassigning drive letters rather easy.
wazzzzzzzzup
Batboard $upporter

Post by wazzzzzzzzup »

ok guys, thanks,

administrative trools fixed the problem :)

wazz

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”