2004 Jetta install?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Johnny Grep
What radios do you own?: M/A-COM's

2004 Jetta install?

Post by Johnny Grep »

I've recently changed my Acura for a 2004 Jetta TDI. It was the logical choice since I put on many km's a year. Now I need to install my CDM1550 in there without drilling too much holes... do you guys have any recommendations? Remote mount in glovebox, or where else?

Anyone have pics of installs in 99.5-05 Jetta IV's?
K4RXR

Post by K4RXR »

I can't give you any real experience, just some observations. I owned a 2002 Jetta 1.8T and now a 2005 GTI 1.8T.

In the 2002 model, the "cupholder" was a thingie that popped out of the dash above the radio. Sometime between then and my 2005, they redesigned the console to move the cupholder down there and just put a blank plate where the old cupholder was. Which style does your 2004 have? I'm assuming you have the double-DIN radio since it came with both of my cars, though maybe not on a TDI. If you don't have the double-DIN radio, then you have lots of space in the dashboard.

My plan for my GTI is to mount the head for my Kenwood TM-D700 amateur radio to that plate above the broadcast radio. The top of the head will cover up the emergency flasher and heat seat switches a bit, but not too much. I'll probably then mount a small rectangular cellphone car kit speaker to the top of the ashtray.

I still haven't figured a good place for the RF deck. You are fortunate because you have a trunk and can mount your deck to the underside of the package shelf. I think I'm going to have to shoehorn mine into the glovebox somehow.

What do you plan to do for an antenna? With the sunroof and the short roof of the GTI, I don't have many options and really don't want to drill any holes in this car anyway. I may end up with a glass-mount Larsen, though I know that's not the best solution. If you have the sunroof, you have the same challenges because if you go too far back on the roof, you may have interference problems with the amplified broadcast band antenna that's at the rear of the roof. You have some trunk lip options, though the seal between the trunk lid and the base of the rear window is pretty tight. With the way the trunk lid hinges are designed, just about anything you mount on either the front or sides of the trunk lid is going to hit the rear windows or C-pillar when you open the trunk.

Good luck with your install. I'm probably going to tackle mine this fall sometime.

Bob...
giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

Post by giguchan »

Hello,
are you working on a new GTI? thats a nice ride.... i always said that if i could not afford M3 i would get a GTI and tune it up....
good luck
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
K4RXR

Post by K4RXR »

No, I bought an A4 GTI a few months before the new ones hit the dealers. My 1.8T is rated at 180HP while the 2.0T in the new ones is rated at 200HP. The weights are comparable, I think, so the new ones should be a little faster than mine. The new ones are also reported to handle better, but with a strut and spring kit, mine would be right there with them.

I think I'm going to go with a Larsen glass-mount antenna on one of the rear side windows, the RF deck of the Kenwood TM-D700 will shoehorn into the glove box, and the head for the D700 will mount to the dash right above the broadcast radio. Not the best install, but it'll be better than an HT with a mag-mount antenna.

Bob...
giguchan
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: CDM 1550's UHF/VHF HT1550'S

Post by giguchan »

With a ride like that i would not drill(I LIKE USING A CHASSIS PUNCH)left for the typical truck, suv and the like.... although i have never had much luck with the thru the glass anythingi think it's probabally the best move for you .you don't want a car like that with an ugly antenna(althought it would work the best) blasted into the roof... BTW is there SUNROOF? that would also make a diff. mag would scratch the roof too..
good luck..
Radios by Fisher-Price? Never!!!
I use /\/\otorola!!
Cheers
73, de'N2GIG
irsa

Post by irsa »

About the only place I can think to mount the control head is above the ashtray in the floor console. The problem with this is you then cover the OBD connector. /
Ed

Post by Ed »

irsa wrote:About the only place I can think to mount the control head is above the ashtray in the floor console. The problem with this is you then cover the OBD connector. /
Correct! There's another ISO hole, perfect for ISO size radio's. Waris radio's do not fit in nicely. That's the reason that i'm using a gm-950.

Picture:

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto=HAW6NCYB

Ed
"American beer is like making love in a canoo. It's both f*cking close to water."
(Monty Python's Flying Circus)
Pump3

Post by Pump3 »

Hey, prob a stupid question but whats the american version of the GM-950? (if one even exist) Thanks
K4RXR

Post by K4RXR »

Ed wrote:Correct! There's another ISO hole, perfect for ISO size radio's.
Ed, since the 2002 model year, U.S.-spec Golfs, Jettas, and GTIs with the upgraded audio system ("Monsoon") have had a "dual DIN" head unit that works with the included power amp and also controls the optional 6-disc CD changer. This head unit takes up all of the space in the console center stack between the pop-out cupholder (which Euro-spec cars may not have) and the HVAC controls.

That's the problem I face with my 2005 GTI. I'd rather not give up that head unit, though I realize that if I went with a standard-sized aftermarket head unit, I'd have room in the console for a two-way radio. I think I'd have to re-engineer the audio system with all new components in order to free up that space in the console.

Life, and radios, are a compromise.

Bob...
Johnny Grep
What radios do you own?: M/A-COM's

Post by Johnny Grep »

K4RXR: My car has the double-DIN radio and the cupholders are not present in the dashboard (like 2002 and lower cars), they are in the center console (thank god). But even if I had a single DIN radio, since I have a CDM1550, I'd still be SOL :(

Ed, that's a kick-ass install right there.

I'm thinking about buying a remote-mount kit and mounting the control head in the glovebox at this point.
irsa

Post by irsa »

The place I was thinking was below the HVAC controls in front of the OBD connector. I worked on a MkIV GTI which had a GME TX3400 UHF remote head mounted there. Granted the head is less then DIN sized.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”