ONE ON THE RADIOS IN MOVIES TOPIC AGAIN

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Robert HT220
What radios do you own?: JT1K VHF, MT1K VHF/UHF/800C

Post by Robert HT220 »

Cell God wrote:
2.) And also on the Die Hard thread. How in the hell could all the CB (terrorist) radios talk to the police band, and FBI. I did not know that M made a dual band Pub Safety/CB HT.
I don't know if anyone said anything, but the radios that Bruce Willis and the bad guys were using were made by Kenwood. :D

Robert

Here's one for the Dukes Of Hazzard fans:

In the episode "Deputy Dukes" when they are getting Bo and Luke slipped in the BigRigs, they used HT220's and MT500's for walkie talkies. I could tell the one Uncle Jesse had was a MT500 just looking at the channel/volume/squelch knobs.
PropellorHead
was LACityFD
What radios do you own?: XTS 5000 to Mocom

Post by PropellorHead »

The movie SWAT that recently came out featured LAPD's finest, and they were actually using LAPD astros. There's a few scenes where you are in the LAPD cage and units are checking their gear out, and they have Astros on gang chargers, and in the various officers offices, u can see an Astro or two on a rapid charger.

Louie
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

For a cheezy action movie it was farily accurate in portions I thought. I was surprised to see they actually showed Astro Sabers. Seeing all those made me feel like S*** that I sold mine :cry: Bills suck!!!!

mancow
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Movie: Cops and Robersons.

Chevy Chase is aparantly a cop-wanna-be with scanners and all kinds of other things like that. In his car (Taurus), he has a GE Custom Executive II mobile that aparantly works great on CB channel 9!

He's also got a PRO-2025 RadioShack scanner that likes to keep scanning even when the dispatcher is talking!

-Ex
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

Don't they always, it's essential that the lights keep blinking.

The sad thing is that those people make loads of money providing set consultation, geeeez. Not that anyone but people like us notice.

mancow
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

LOL, see the man, See the woman, see the boy! Every episode you would hear it at least once!

Loved that show :-)

George

10-95 wrote:The Adam 12 dispatcher also mentions "See the man.." , maybe "The man" knows the address of that 2-11 in progress!

Frank
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

haha...

I remember listeing to Buffalo NY PD a few years back.. dispatch was something like "12D21, go to 1249 West 21st Street, check out the man in the rear for a disturbance" the officer replied..after a few seconds something along the lines of "Negative ma'am, but we'll speak to the man at the back of the property"

haha

-M
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

one small note..since were noting the gaffes...that buick he had didn't have window frame rails...like a subaru.

u r funny though..!

HumHead wrote:OK- Just a hair off the topic, but how about what is affectionatly referred to at one of my agencies as "The Kojak Phenomonon"?

This is the miraculous bit of physics where you get a call, roll down the window, and stick the gumball light on the roof through the open window.

Now- on TV- You get to the call, open the door, step out, and save the day.

In the real world- You get to the call, open the door, drag the light accross the roof, leaving a nice scratch, until it gets to the edge, whereupon it catapults itself off of the roof (usually still running) and swings like a pendulum into the door, denting the door or, if you're really good, destroying the driver's side window.

Seen it a million times. Still cracks me up :)
afterimage84

Post by afterimage84 »

MT2000 man wrote:Speaking of the show COPS, I was watching it last night, and (they were showing the LAPD) and they had what looked like the old MX360 with MODAT, and thats about all I heard for the entire time, that annoying noise :)

Eather that was an older episiode, or they didnt make the Astro saber switch yet.

Just a comment

i'm confused...r u saying there was no MODAT on the MX's?
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

LAPD used MX350/460 series portables with MODAT for about 15 years or so then they got the Astro Saber in various flavors - way back in the VSELP days.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
Heterodyne
Batboard $upporter

Post by Heterodyne »

To resusrect this thread...

Anyone notice how they peeled the Motorola sticker off of the Jedi speaker mikes on that new 10-8 show?
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

They used the 8 channel 350's (I never saw them use 360's) with MODAT. That's the whole reason the new astro's have MODAT.. to interface during that time when both were in use when they were doing analog.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
kd7cra

ET

Post by kd7cra »

Unfortunatly ET's see and say transmitter couldnt effectivley work. Based on the feedhorn size the transmitter has to be in the microwave range. Problem with that is that he lines the umbrella with tin foil as a reflector. Tin foil is inherently wrinkily and at that freq range that surface inconsitancy would send the waves off in all sorts of different directions, defeating the purpose of a dish.
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Afterimage -
I think the other guys already explained why I said that :)
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

Heterodyne wrote:To resusrect this thread...

Anyone notice how they peeled the Motorola sticker off of the Jedi speaker mikes on that new 10-8 show?
Yeah, but only on the two main characters. The supporting cast still have the logo on theirs...
TomSlick

Post by TomSlick »

Speaking of "10-8", I guess they couldn't get support from LASD given their "humorous and edgy" theme. Notice the eagles on the badges and patches instead of bears, and the fact that everywhere they refer to "Los Angeles Sheriff", not "Los Angeles County Sheriff".

Anyway, last time I checked (many years ago, admittedly), LASD trainees spent their "breaking-in" period fresh out of the academy by working at the Central Jail, not out on the street.
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

TomSlick wrote: Anyway, last time I checked (many years ago, admittedly), LASD trainees spent their "breaking-in" period fresh out of the academy by working at the Central Jail, not out on the street.
Still do.. yikes! I wouldn't want to work there EVER.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
Screwed

Post by Screwed »

since alex linked to a dead thread lets revive it
ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

That's correct.

MODAT was only put into the Astro series because back in the VSELP days, LAPD required it. I guess they just decided to keep it in the firmware.

-Mike
VoIP: BAT-MIKE (228-6453)

Are YOU hamsexy?

ATU# 312
contrak10

Post by contrak10 »

The Movie The Rock used Motorola Visar's, Too bad they spent money on a product that cant be used becuase the morons cant figure out how to turn the thing on, let alone transmit.
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

In regards to no free advertising, I wonder how much they paid for this:

Anyone watch the Sopranos two weeks ago;

"Hey Tony, you got a cellphone? What is it? A Motorola?"
kb9suy
What radios do you own?: too many!!

starsky an hutch new movie

Post by kb9suy »

Did you see the motorola micor in his car but no antenna on the car anywere. Thats was pretty funny.
kc8svs
No Longer Registered

Post by kc8svs »

In Oceans 11, the big guys used the Telario.

But the personnel and maintenance guys used XTS series radios. The scene that they're sitting in the break room or something, it's sitting on the table with them.
M.A. Baker

Wrecker Diver
Nextel, how business gets fu*ked up!
ro
What radios do you own?: GP380

Post by ro »

What kind of radios were they using in "Jurassic Park I"? They look like Sabers (with an interesting 'Red Tx Light Always On' feature) :lol:
Btw, they have a really nice looking grey housing
b7spectra
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, Sabers, Spectras

Post by b7spectra »

Check out Reno 911 on the Comedy Central. They are carrying Astro's on their belts! Never use them, but they have em!
/\/\|k.e
Cam
Batboard $upporter

Post by Cam »

ro wrote:What kind of radios were they using in "Jurassic Park I"? They look like Sabers (with an interesting 'Red Tx Light Always On' feature) :lol:
Btw, they have a really nice looking grey housing
I was just looking at that. It looks like they have gray/tan Saber II's with the lights always on.

Cam
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

They were specially made sabers for the movie.... More info about them is on the board, sadly, no one has the part numbers for the cases.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
n9upc

Post by n9upc »

I just went to see Starsky & Hutch this week and I saw the most perfect looking White micor multi-channel head speaker and mic in the movie. Now I would say that was possible in the seventies.

However I did not see any antenna on there car and I know they did not have uncover antennas back then.

Is hollywood on a trend for correct radios in moveis compared to era's for technology???
" ah the fatman made a funny!" - Stewie from the family guy.

I went to the doctor and all he did was just suck blood. Never go to Dr Acula - M. Hedberg
b7spectra
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, Sabers, Spectras

Post by b7spectra »

They could have had a 1/4 wave in the back deck.
/\/\|k.e
FFParamedic571
Banned

Post by FFParamedic571 »

I just saw Starsky & Hutch.. The micor is period correct. The MX's aren't
njh621
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: MTX810, HT600, MX300 series

Post by njh621 »

I noticed in Die Hard 2, one of the lobby cops was using an ht600 (the perfect match!) but Lerenzo was using something non Motorola. The cop held it and used it in the right way.
-Nick Halliday
Titan II ICBM Historian & Electrical Engineering Student
"Thank you SKYBIRD, release ACK/CALL."
VA3XDJ
was orbit303

Post by VA3XDJ »

Yeah

DH2 was a joke with radios.

Terrorists were using Kenwood TH45AT's with supposedly "encryption" and a "10 digit code"

Lorenzo was using an MT500 from what it seemed like.

I noticed the HT600 too when he called the lobby guys.

Anyone see the goodyear commercial for anti-slide tires where the "director" uses an SP50?
chtucker

Post by chtucker »

Geez, you guys are missing the best one..

Alf talking on his Kenwood TS930 Hf rig :D
ROOFLIFECO
Banned

Post by ROOFLIFECO »

Has anyone else ever noticed on "Smokey and the Bandit" that when sheriff Justice is talking to the Bandit and Snowman on the "President" CB radios, Justice is NEVER holding the PTT button, but Snowman and Bandit ALMOST always are???!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Also, Has anyone else seen the movie "Bad Boys II?" What kind of radios are they using? When they are doing that "KKK" type narcotics operation, they have the tactical throat mics from otto connected to a radio, but the radio is fully underwater??? They are not saber R's or anything else, I know that. They look like FRS radios to me. Anyway, one of the guys cannot hear the communications over the radio while he is in the water and he replys "These radios are F :o ed" Yeah, I wonder why??? Maybe, just maybe because they are not supposed to be underwater???
EOppegaard

Post by EOppegaard »

Bourne Supremecy (spelling...whatever) In the Taxi Cab scene, look at the dash...it's a Motorola CDM with a remote mount head.

:D
Eric Oppegaard
Where's Oppie?
Motoman
What radios do you own?: XTS3000 III, MTS2000 III,

Post by Motoman »

Well have you ever thought that they problary don't use the real thing? You know you can buy dummies, which look legit but are acutally not. They can look pretty realistic even to the trainded eye.
Motoman at your service!
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Reno 911 they use Saber III's with the Mic.
n9upc

Post by n9upc »

Also if you saw the last episode of reno 911 with Kenny Rogers you will have seen that in the car they finally have a radio that you can see on the center console hump which is a maxtrac.

Also you will finally see that they have a monitor for the MDT instead of just a keyboard.
" ah the fatman made a funny!" - Stewie from the family guy.

I went to the doctor and all he did was just suck blood. Never go to Dr Acula - M. Hedberg
FFParamedic571
Banned

Post by FFParamedic571 »

I ve got a good spoiler for "The Village"

I wont say another word....
losangelescop

Post by losangelescop »

I have noticed many screw ups and technical faults on the movies. The producers all seem to think "Its just a radio it will look good and do the job nobody will ever know that this is the wrong radio for the job" WRONG haha. MOTOMAN is absolutely right. I came across this website once that sold "Fake" radios to studios they just use the real cases with all of the radio stuff hollowed out, so you are basicly getting a radio with no electronics inside, and they rig it so that the LED on top will flash. The ASTRO Saber III which I saw on the site looked real - if it didn't have "This is a FAKE radio" all over the page I would of never been able to tell the difference (untill it was switched on and the LED Blinked). Apparently they also just use the casing of the batteries too, to make it lighter for the actors, they just put a tiny 9V or AAA inside the hollow battery case to power the LED.

I remember I was watching an ep of COPS once, and as they do the cop tells the crew a little about himself, his family, his job, interests or whatever elce. He said: "We can't catch all of the criminals out there, you know...Its still hard to get away though. A criminal may be able to outrun an officer on foot, in rare cases a criminal can outrun a cop while he is in his Caprice or Crown Vic, but It's nearly impossible to outrun a MOTOROLA RADIO." That was the BEST line I have EVER heard from a cop about radios, and I'll never forget it! 8)

Also in The Blues Brothers 2000, when Elwood and the gang are fleeing from the cops after leaving the diner, he talks to the other band members who are still at the diner, on what i believe (from memory) were GP300's. The line went something like "We'll see you at the gig tomorrow night in Kentucky" "How are you going to lose the cops, you must have half the cops in the state out there after you" "Let me worry about that, we havta get off this road. They have called ahead by now and you can't outrun a MOTOROLA". Great line from Dan Aykroyd! 8)

I love Third Watch, and especially how they promote the Sabers they use, by not removing the Motorola symbol off of the radios or the speaker mics. Must be some pricey contract goin down there. Funny how in an effort to make the radios sound "real and working" they put the squelch tail sound effect in just as the PTT button is pressed and then right again (where it is supposed to be) when it is released.

One of the other things I will remember is that old TV show from about 1997 called High Incident. Loved the ASTRO Sabers in that show!, and how it was a show about a Californian Dept. The show wasn't half bad either. Some of the actors from that show went on to play in Third Watch and similar shows.

And as a last thought, it would be SWEET if the people who made Third Watch did a spin-off series about the same type of thing, but this time using different actors (of course) and making it in the city of Los Angeles. Now that would be great, especially if they used real ASTRO Saber III radios :D 8) :D
Motorola, Federal Signal and the MX7000 RULE!
redbeard
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Yaesu

Post by redbeard »

Since this is back from the dead, i'll throw in one i've been sitting on for a few weeks.

Anyone been watching that new show, 'Jericho'?

Looks like they have a few AS1 UHF floating around between the sheriff's deputies and the Mayor and his son. The Jake character was carrying around something that looked like a Maxon MURS radio with an obviously VHF antenna on it and was talking amongst the Astro Sabers.

The icing on the cake though is when these two convicts were dressed as deputies and had these couple of women in a farmhouse. The one woman got wise and crawled out the bathroom window and ran to the patrol car to get help on the radio. The radio looked like a Uniden PC76XL CB. She started at channel 1 and started calling for help. Everytime she switched channels, the radio would make a MODAT sound! When she got to channel 4, the Jake character heard her faintly on his Maxon VHF/MURS radio! WHen she got to channel 5, one of the cons heard her on his radio.....a Uniden scanner stopped on memory channel 5 with no frequency showing! I don't remember but I think the CB did something else stupid too like make an MDC packet on de-key or something. It certainly wasn't capable of FM though.

Then there is the Hawkins guy who fixes the Yaesu ham base radio and copies some CW transmission that sounded like a broadcast and not a QSO.
Look, it's not in my nature to be mysterious. But I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why.
dfc2

3rd Watch Radios?

Post by dfc2 »

The thread about 3rd Watch radios being correct is not 100% correct....

If you look at the Sully character, you will see he is carrying a saber like all the others, but on his lapel he has what looks like an HT600 Lapel mic. Now I would imagine it is possible for the radio to have a hi rose adapter on it (for key fill on the saber radios) and then have similar mic plugged into that, I think the HT50 or similar radio had that type of plug and the HT600 mic. Someone can correct me about the mic... but not sure if the wiring is correct or not to allow that to work....

Just my overly critical $0.02

DFC2
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Post by ai4ui »

In "The Shining", Jack Nicholson cracks open the case of a GE Mastr Executive II desktop base and pulls the channel elements out of it to disable the radio. That's a very accurate way to make one of those stop working.

RG
EPC_1111
What radios do you own?: More than you could imagine

Post by EPC_1111 »

2002radioman wrote: The radio he used was a VHF Kenwood Tk-290 with top display. In LA I think NOT!!!
Theres plelnty of VHF in LA.

I like how they use the PA mic in Super Troopers.
K4RXR

Post by K4RXR »

losangelescop wrote:"...They have called ahead by now and you can't outrun a MOTOROLA". Great line from Dan Aykroyd!
And the obvious tie-in there is that the movie was based in Chicago and Motorola is headquartered in Schaumburg, a Chicago suburb. Just another example of great writing from a great movie.

Bob...
harrisjt2000
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by harrisjt2000 »

remember I was watching an ep of COPS once, and as they do the cop tells the crew a little about himself, his family, his job, interests or whatever elce. He said: "We can't catch all of the criminals out there, you know...Its still hard to get away though. A criminal may be able to outrun an officer on foot, in rare cases a criminal can outrun a cop while he is in his Caprice or Crown Vic, but It's nearly impossible to outrun a MOTOROLA RADIO." That was the BEST line I have EVER heard from a cop about radios, and I'll never forget it!
Yea you can its called MA/COM
Last edited by harrisjt2000 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
losangelescop

Post by losangelescop »

The thread about 3rd Watch radios being correct is not 100% correct....

If you look at the Sully character, you will see he is carrying a saber like all the others, but on his lapel he has what looks like an HT600 Lapel mic. Now I would imagine it is possible for the radio to have a hi rose adapter on it (for key fill on the saber radios) and then have similar mic plugged into that, I think the HT50 or similar radio had that type of plug and the HT600 mic. Someone can correct me about the mic... but not sure if the wiring is correct or not to allow that to work....
Actually, on Third Watch I have noticed that all the radios are Sabers, and very very rarely one or two of the officers will have a different model radio like a GP300, with that style speaker mic that you are reffering to. What you have seen has prob. been confused between episodes. :-?
nh7cy
What radios do you own?: one of each

Post by nh7cy »

alex wrote:They were specially made sabers for the movie.... More info about them is on the board, sadly, no one has the part numbers for the cases.

-Alex
i remember posting about those awhile ago. jurassic park is the reason why i got into two way radios in the first place!

either it was those awesome looking sabers or it was the fact that in each movie they just happened to find a kenwood hf rig tucked away somewhere.

it was only last year when i got bored enough to actually put the movie on pause and take a good long look at what they were using.

also in godzilla, it appears they're using an hf radio to talk to a motorola maxtrac located in the taxicab in the end of the movie

awhile ago i was on the set of "the evidence" which was kind of a CSI wanna be show CBS was filming in the city. i was talking to one of actors who was playing the part of a cop and noticed that her radio was nothing more than a radio shack cb with a mobile radios mic taped to the earphone jack!

i was almost tempted to loan her my xts which is what sfpd really uses just for the sake of all of us who pay attention to detail when radios are in the media.

i tend to be one of those people, and im sure most others on here are like this as well, who watch tv shows or movies with people, see a radio and either say or think something along the lines of "thats not possible!" or "hey, i have that!"

i also like the realistic use of Saber I's, and Visars on CBS's Invasion. though i cant recall which show it was that i watched recently, but a crew of police officers had everything from gp300's to astro sabers, or maybe it was a movie, i think it might have been World Trade Center.
Last edited by nh7cy on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jason B
Operating VHF AM mobile - On the air, In the air.
N-LAW422

Post by N-LAW422 »

whenever i have watched third watch, i also have seen the Motorola logo shown many times. If you notice the FD doesnt have radios ever, only PD and EMS.
OX wrote:I'm just getting into Third Watch and am impressed that they actually use Sabers. I'm really amazed that the /\/\otorola isn't covered up at all and really is shown off quite a bit....must be some bucks there somewhere
Johnathan
losangelescop

Post by losangelescop »

whenever i have watched third watch, i also have seen the Motorola logo shown many times. If you notice the FD doesnt have radios ever, only PD and EMS.
Actually, The FD do have radios on the show - Theyre kind of hard to see at times because of where they clip the speaker mics and radios onto themselves, and you only really see them in use on an episode where theres a huge fire. They normally have the GP300 style speaker microphone clipped onto their FD uniform, which are as black as the speaker mics themselves, so theyre hard to spot, until you look hard, or one of the fighters actually uses the radio...

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”