A newbie Saber question....

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

losangelescop

A newbie Saber question....

Post by losangelescop »

Hey guys...

I am looking into buying a saber 1 or 1E or Systems Saber 1 shortly. I don't know much about Sabers, I am more familiar with the Waris and Jedi series....anyway my dumb noob's question is: I have heard that on certain models of Saber 1 (1, 1E, Systems 1 - not sure which one/s) that the 3 aux. buttons on the side around the PTT button CANNOT be re-programmed - once a feature (say monitor for example) is programmed in after the radio has been purchased, you cannot program any new features into that particular button - the RSS won't allow it. Is this true, or is it some junk made to confuse saber newbies like me? And if so, what models of Saber does this issue cover? Oh...and another quick (silly) question: Can the aux. buttons surrounding the PTT have both short press and long press options, like the Waris models are capable of?

Thanks ppl!
Motorola, Federal Signal and the MX7000 RULE!
losangelescop

Post by losangelescop »

Hey guys,

Just got a couple of PM's with all the answers I needed, thanks to all who replied! :)
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

Only the 6D cores allow you to program those two buttons next to the PTT.

Not that ALL sabers are junk, but only a handful of those in the market are 6Ds. :D
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Also note that the top 'monitor' button is always the monitor button, and can not be programmed for anything else.

You also can NOT select any of the 6D or 8D options for use on ANY CORE, UNLESS you have THAT CORE version...6D or 8D.

5C and 5D cores and earlier can not use those options and if selected, can cause problems with the radio as they are unable to recognize the selections and will probably not allow the radio to transmit or receive.

This is not always the case, but it does happen frequently though.
losangelescop

Post by losangelescop »

Thanks for the further info!

:D Nick.
borisf

Post by borisf »

So what's the easiest way of determining the core version?

Serial#, Model#, RSS?
oh2glg
What radios do you own?: DP4801 DM4601 SL7550 MTP850S

Re: A newbie Saber question....

Post by oh2glg »

As far as I know, model or serial number does not tell much anything about core version each saber is.

Only way to tell for sure is to read the codeplug with RSS.

You can also see, which band split is used. But since codeplugs bandsplit could be altered by entering it incorrectly while programming it, one can check it by looking at each module typenumbers inside the radio to determine which split it actually is.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”