XTS5000 Behaving Badly

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

XTS5000 Behaving Badly

Post by mikegilbert »

Hi All.

I've got a bit of a mind-#%$ in my hands. I just picked up a new 5000 (radio 2)- I dragged-and-dropped the codeplug from my other 5000 (radio 1) into the new radio.

Radio 2 will NOT decode p25 audio from my identical "radio-1", yet will decode several other OTA P25 signals.

I've checked, re-checked every setting known to man; I'm dumbfounded.

Mixed Mode, DSQ, 293 etc...

I thought my original radio might be the culprit, but it talked to my old 3000 just fine.

Any thoughts, comments, concerns?

I'll email a codeplug to any do-gooders out there.

Radio 1: Host- 6.02.03, DSP 6.00.01 (kinda old)
Radio 2: Host- 3.00.00, DSP 3.00.00 (ancient)

Thanks,

-Mike
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

since it is ancient firmware is it possible it is an alignment problem? Especially reference oscillator?
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

It's an Uncle Sam hand-me-down, so it might be ill.

I don't understand why it would pick up a 406.XXX P25 signal, yet completely Ignore my 462.5625 (hehe) P25 signal.

Forgot to add: Radio 2 can send a page just fine (which indicates it's receiving the acknowledge message from Radio 1)
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Try separating the distance between Radio 1 & 2. Friend of mine had a similar problem the other day, one radio (a 5000) would not receive P25 until the transmitting radio (a 3000) was moved about 25-feet away.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

It's funny you mention the distance thing Victor Xray. I had a similar problem in the past, but it was on conventional.

I had 2 XTS5000's in VHF side by side and on the same freq. When I would key one up next to the other, the radio would not recieve at all. When I Moved it away by a few feet, it recieved fine. For the life of me I could not figure it out, and I even had the radio aligned with no fix to the problem..

So one day the I switched batteries on it and my problem went away, leaving me scratching my head. The battery was a NiCad IMPRES with an 06 date code on it. I put the battery on another 5000, and it made that radio act the same way. I sent the battery back to "M" for a replacement, and they sent me out the same battery as a replacement. I put the new battery on and it gave me the same problems on both radios again.

So needless to say, the NiCad "problem" battery is in my parts drawer, and I only use Nmh or Lion batteries with no problems on RX. Just figured I would throw out my story for a little thought.

-Marc
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

mikegilbert wrote:It's an Uncle Sam hand-me-down, so it might be ill.

I don't understand why it would pick up a 406.XXX P25 signal, yet completely Ignore my 462.5625 (hehe) P25 signal.

Forgot to add: Radio 2 can send a page just fine (which indicates it's receiving the acknowledge message from Radio 1)

Mike - that sounds a lot like an alignment issue - I have had the same thing, I had the radio put on an R2670 and it was happy again :)
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

Mfire39 wrote: So needless to say, the NiCad "problem" battery is in my parts drawer, and I only use Nmh or Lion batteries with no problems on RX. Just figured I would throw out my story for a little thought.

-Marc
Guess what kind of battery I'm using...?

Didn't help though, neither did the seperation.

Thanks for the input though.

I'll keep you posted.
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS

Post by radioinstl »

radio-link

Post by radio-link »

Victor Xray wrote:Try separating the distance between Radio 1 & 2. Friend of mine had a similar problem the other day, one radio (a 5000) would not receive P25 until the transmitting radio (a 3000) was moved about 25-feet away.
This should not happen, and I never have seen this happening...
regards - Ralph, dk5ras

--

Ralph A. Schmid http://www.bclog.de ralph@schmid.xxx
Tel./SMS +49-171-3631223
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

I agree, but it did. Coincidentally, the 5000 had a Nicad Impres battery, just like Mfire39 described. I'm sure it would have worked at less than 25', that's just about how far I walked before trying to txmit again, and I didn't walk backwards to troubleshoot the minimum distance.
5-sides

Post by 5-sides »

radio-link wrote:
Victor Xray wrote:Try separating the distance between Radio 1 & 2. Friend of mine had a similar problem the other day, one radio (a 5000) would not receive P25 until the transmitting radio (a 3000) was moved about 25-feet away.
This should not happen, and I never have seen this happening...
???? Desense?

Happens when the Tx radio is too close and overloads the Rx front-end. The receiving radio will "shut down" to avoid getting burned up.

I've seen it on the 5k's far more than on other equipment. It seems to be set pretty tight, which is a cause of consternation for some of my guys. They just can't understand why I'm not all worked up because their radios don't always Rx when they are standing next to each other and one PTT's.

Guy, if you are standing next to the person transmitting, you can hear him directly, you don't need to hear him OTA.

The problem is when it does take 25 ft, and they are in a noisy environment. Then they might not be able to hear the individual transmitting, but their radio may still be desensing.
Reset Operator Head Space and Timing

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”