XTS-5000

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

aenigma

XTS-5000

Post by aenigma »

How do I tell if a Model I has a DES chip in it?

How do you take one apart?

How do you install a DES chip?

Thanks for the help.
Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Post by Fuel4300 »

Check batdude's (Doug's) tutorial stickied at the top of the astro forum for instructions on how to open up your radio and locate the encryption module.

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=61128
aenigma

Post by aenigma »

Thank you.

Now the next question...

How do I tell if a Model I has an encryption module in it without taking it apart???
Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Post by Fuel4300 »

aenigma wrote:Thank you.

Now the next question...

How do I tell if a Model I has an encryption module in it without taking it apart???
I dont have the CPS in front of me right now - I can check when I get home - but i believe if you check off "secure hardware equipped" in the CPS and then program and reread it will show you the module information in the radio information screen.

If not... there is always the tell-tale "somethingis wrong" *BOOP* you will get instead of the "all is well" *BEEP* when power it on. You will get the *BOOP* if there is no module installed b/c the radio is looking for one and gives and error when it does not find one. Al;ternatively, if there is a module present but no key loaded you may get a series of *BEEPs* indicating a Key Failure.
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

if u got the programming software, enable "secure hardware equipped" and see if the radio throws any errors. if you get no errors then it has secure, of you get FAIL 09/xx then most likely u don't have it.
Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Post by Fuel4300 »

After looking at the CPS...

The UCM version IS displayed under the Radio Information screen. If there is no version listed then there is either no module installed or it is not activated in the CPS so to be sure check off "secure hardware equipped" and reread the radio.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Keep in mind that I think in most radios - in order for the radio to even see the secure module (present or not) you MUST flip on secure so that the radio runs the code subroutines in order to actually query the module. The radio otherwise has no reason to concern itself with secure unless it's flagged as being present.

-Alex
aenigma

Post by aenigma »

So I enabled "secure hardware equipped" and loaded/re-read the radio.
The UCM version is "Unknown"
So this means it does not has a secure module, right?

Thanks for all the help, sometimes I am a little "Dee Det Dee, Retarded"
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

alex wrote:Keep in mind that I think in most radios - in order for the radio to even see the secure module (present or not) you MUST flip on secure so that the radio runs the code subroutines in order to actually query the module. The radio otherwise has no reason to concern itself with secure unless it's flagged as being present.

-Alex
MTS2000s and XTS3000s will go looking for the module at power up. Errors will pop up at this time if it can't talk to it. It will error out again if you flip to secure, and it'll bonk if you try transmitting.
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

Edited - just read the original poster has a model 1. Damn, I need to pay attention :-)
aenigma

Post by aenigma »

aenigma wrote:So I enabled "secure hardware equipped" and loaded/re-read the radio.
The UCM version is "Unknown"
So this means it does not has a secure module, right?

Thanks for all the help, sometimes I am a little "Dee Det Dee, Retarded"
Right?
mike m

Post by mike m »

Also If it still has original stickers on it, the 2nd from the leftmost digit in the flashcode would be either a 4 or an 8.

If it came from greed pay then who knows what tags it has.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

Mike M, the 2nd from the left most digit in the flashcode would be a 4 or an 8?

What is this referring to?

-Marc
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

You need to open the radio up and see if there is a module in there. That is the easiest and most reliable method of finding out if you have it. Follow batdude's guide, it's very easy to take these radios apart
akardam

Post by akardam »

What he's referring to the multikey option bits in the flashcode:
D11 B1 - H101/G101/H169 Analog/Conventional Only Repeater Access (MDC1200/Singletone)
D11 B2 - H451 GE STAR Signalling / Q52 FPP Government Subscriber (XTS2500/5000 Only)
D11 B3 - H869/W969 Hardware Multikey Operation
D11 B4 - H868/W298 Hardware Multikey Operation & MDC OTAR (Analog/Conventional)
As you can see, the bits in the 11 digit (or second digit from the left) of the flashcode, contain the multikey options. If the 11 digit is 8 (indicating just B4 is active) or 4 (indicating just B3 is active), then the flashcode has the multikey option turned on.

What mike m was trying to say was if the radio has factory tags, and the flashcode indicates either H869 or H868, then there's a good chance that the radio is secure hardware equipped.

As always, the best practice is to disassemble the radio and verify the physical presence of an encryption board, and look up the board part # to verify the crypto algo's loaded.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

The H868 option is also turned on if digit 11 in the flashcode is an A on a 5K.

-Marc

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”