Motorola XTS-5000

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RadioMaster08
Banned

Motorola XTS-5000

Post by RadioMaster08 »

I got one brand new Motorola XTS-5000 radio but the unit has so many problems wont program and not able to be read. When the radio turns on it takes it 5 min for SELF TEST then it says system error on the screen. Wont go away it's making me mad Motorola can't do any thing about it what do I do. I spent $2,500 on a non working radio.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

where did you get it from
RadioMaster08
Banned

Post by RadioMaster08 »

A real Motorola dealer
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

Didn't you verify operation before leaving the dealer? What error is it giving you on the display?

What are the specs on your radio, ie.. Model, Flash, Firmware versions?

-Marc
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

RadioMaster08 wrote:A real Motorola dealer
then take it back to the dealer and have them make it right. if you put it on a credit card you may have additional protections. depends on if the radio was sold as-is. another option is to send it to the depot for flat rate repair, although that's going ot cost you about $350
RadioMaster08
Banned

Post by RadioMaster08 »

Firm ware I think R07 something. It just says error on the screen thats all.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

From reading your website, I'm gathering that your pretty young... I don't get where you'd find 2000+ bucks to buy an XTS5000 from a dealer.

You want to get with the real story about what's going on?

-Alex
RadioMaster08
Banned

Post by RadioMaster08 »

Look I am not asking to much but I need some help with my new XTS-5000 radio that costs $2,500 that's not to much to ask. And no I am not very young I am 18 years old if that helps you in any way. And my website is for my family sorry if you don't like it.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

did you try to program it yourself first then get the error code?
RadioMaster08
Banned

Post by RadioMaster08 »

No the dealer programed it. It worked for one hour then that's it done
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

With your mom commenting that she's called and complained to your school about the website in the comment section?

Sure.

Anyway - as other people have suggested - bring it back to your dealer where you purchased the radio from, and they should be able to help you.

I still don't see something quite right here.

What dealer? A lot of them frequent this board - and may even offer up some help. What system was this programmed for? What is the radio being used for?

Just some questions - this will help us in the troubleshooting process.

Additionally, power up the radio, hit the button above the PTT 5x (the one with the 2 squares on it) and type out all the information you see flash across the screen.

Did you take the battery off, let it sit for 5 minutes, and then put the battery back on and power up the radio?

-Alex
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Re: Motorola XTS-5000

Post by n7maq »

RadioMaster08 wrote: it's making me mad Motorola can't do any thing about it
It would help a bit if you qualified what you were saying with some kind of explanation.

How is Motorola not helping you?

Why are they not helping you?

What did the dealer say when you got the radio?

Is this a legit radio with factory tags and flash?

If it was bad as you described, they would have seen that. They would not just give it to you and send you down the road for no good reason. I don’t know how you would have even left the dealership with it like that. When I was 18, and I would have been so fast to try out a new toy I would have sat in the parking lot and played with that new toy. I mean you would not purchase a brand new car only to have AAA tow it off the lot for you. Something just does not smell right here.

Jim.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

RadioMaster08 wrote:No the dealer programed it. It worked for one hour then that's it done
Looks like he a had a "friend" program up an Ebay radio and it got inhibited...
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

RESCUE161 wrote:
RadioMaster08 wrote:No the dealer programed it. It worked for one hour then that's it done
Looks like he a had a "friend" program up an Ebay radio and it got inhibited...
I'm in on that one.

Who has pot odds?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I'll buy a beer for the one who gets it right at Dayton....

So I'll owe Spectragod and Batdude a beer....who else?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

With the radio working for about an hour, it HAS to be inhibited, probably because 'someone' attempted to afilliate with the system manually, or automatically, and the site BONKED his radio.

An hour sounds about right for the list to be read of authorized users, and when his showed up, it simply saw an 'error' and locked him out.

2.5 grand of easy money...sure does NOT smell legit to me!

I wonder what department has its name engraved on the case......

I can't recall being 18 and had $2,500.00 to blow on a radio!

Keep an eye on the FSWT list folks, I smell a con job a comin'.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Well, the comment his mom posted on the guest book is gone.

You may also want to pull down the copies of the Microsoft games from your website... I don't think it's within your licensing agreement that you share those with the rest of the world....

Nice.

I think he's in Phily from the IP - and last I checked they were trunked...

Considering we don't know anything more about what band the radio is - I think we have once again hit the nail on the head.

-Alex
emsbuff3240
What radios do you own?: Centracom Gold Elite, XTS5K 4K

Post by emsbuff3240 »

considering the extremely simple questions he has asked in the past, not knowing what flashport, firmware or even a codeplug is, he should not have even held an XTS5K...

it sounds to me like he got illegal software, and the radio on ebay, and is now trying to cover up for programming his radio on a trunking system by saying that his radio was bought from and programmed by a moto dealer.

why dont you give us the flashcode and sn of your radio and we'll let you know if its legit
-Jon
RadioMaster08
Banned

Post by RadioMaster08 »

Allright now stop I cant understnd a website Administrator being so mean and non welcomeing. Just stop catching on allright I got the radio off of a authrized Motorola dealer. I did not buy this off ebay I never buy radios off ebay. I been into radios sinse I was 8 years old I remember getting my first Motorola. I never had any problem with one. But now I am 18 and soon to turn 19 I have a Motorola radio thats giving me problems. And it's a XTS-5000 If your wondering how I got $2,500 I earned it by working that's right working. Like most people do in the world. If you can be so cind It's a XTS-5000 403-470Mhz modle 3 you know full keypad and firmware virson R06.00 if that helps in any way. I got it off the dealer worked fine. Took it home worked fine. Had some lunch came back to it took 5 mins for self test then said error on screen.
emsbuff3240
What radios do you own?: Centracom Gold Elite, XTS5K 4K

Post by emsbuff3240 »

was this radio programmed for conventional freqs

or......

was it on a trunking system that you werent supposed to be on :o
-Jon
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Yup. I can be a real meanie.

I'm just pointing out what I see - and commenting on that. I do a lot of background leg work when I see posts like this because they don't make sense, and I keep a pretty watchful eye on this community.

Why don't you give us the rest of the stats.

How about a copy of the receipt from the dealer posted? You seem to at least have a digital camera.

Take a picture of what the radio is doing, and showing on the screen.

What's the model number, flashcode, firmware, serial number, etc - as it's written on the tags on the back.

If the dealer sold you the radio - you should be able to dish out the above requested information with no hesitation/problem.

-Alex
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

OK everything elese aside, you still have not said how is Motorola not helping you?

Have you called them?

If so what did they tell you that you now say "Motorola can't do any thing about what do I do." ?

Jim.
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

So, it is not a new radio (version 6 firmware) and not 800 MHz as you mentioned it is 403-470. What systems were programmed into it at the dealer? If you just bought it bring it back to the delaer. They should have at least a 30 day warranty on used equipment. If this was bought in good faith from the dealer and you have a receipt, then contact Motorola for assistance in having the dealer fix the radio.

What exactly does the error say on the display? I've worked on the 5k's since they were released and never once saw one say "error".
Usually it would be error then xx/yy where xx and yy are numbers.

Give us more info so we can better help you. Did you get a programming cable and software for the radio? If so, is it an aftermarket cable and what version software?

I've not heard of a reputable dealer not helping when a radio dies right away.
RadioMaster08
Banned

Post by RadioMaster08 »

It's on a trunking system. But I have access to it just like all of my other radios OK. It is on the 403-470MHz range with firmware R06.00 I got it worked fine on my system went to get pizza with my buddys came back to the house. I turned on the radio took 5 mins for self test to go away and error apeared on the screen. Checked the repeater it was up and running I just dont understand. Sorry I am trying my best people ok ok
gatekeep
What radios do you own?: XTS2500i III, AS III

Post by gatekeep »

Are you the system administrator for the said trunking system? Perhaps the system administrator for the system saw a radio on it that he/she thought shouldn't be on the system and inhibited it. (I'm giving you the benefit of you being a legit user on the trunked system here..)

If your not the system admin (which is the likely case), ask that person if they inhibited your radio. And the xx/yy error code will help immensely in fixing your issue.

Either way, this sounds like a very inhibited radio.
Last edited by gatekeep on Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

So. it says "Error" and that's it? Never saw that before.

Trunking system, must be a government trunked system then.

You might want to have the delaer read the radio and reprogram it in case something in the codeplug is corrupted. Better yet, if they have another 5000 with same Flashcode, read the other radio and clone it into yours.
RadioMaster08
Banned

Post by RadioMaster08 »

Flash port 100008-000000-0

Model H09RDH9PW7BN

Firm ware R06.00
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

im with the inhibited crowd.
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

If it is inhibited it will do the startup (self test) then the display will go blank, as if the radio is dead. The poster keeps saying the radio says error. That's why I keep asking if the radio actually shows error or just blank display.

If it is an inhibit then it is a $2500 paperweight unless the trunked sys admin sends a cancel inhibit.

A scanner would work better for monitoring.
gatekeep
What radios do you own?: XTS2500i III, AS III

Post by gatekeep »

RocketNJ wrote:If it is inhibited it will do the startup (self test) then the display will go blank, as if the radio is dead. The poster keeps saying the radio says error. That's why I keep asking if the radio actually shows error or just blank display.
Err ... wow, I forgot about that. This is true ... therefore I do not believe the radio is just blatantly displaying "Error" any, XTS5000's I've seen (which all were bricks from a radioshop), had an Error on the screen in the form of xx/yy.
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Post by radioinstl »

RadioMaster08 wrote:Allright now stop I cant understnd a website Administrator being so mean and non welcomeing. Just stop catching on allright I got the radio off of a authrized Motorola dealer. I did not buy this off ebay I never buy radios off ebay. I been into radios sinse I was 8 years old I remember getting my first Motorola. I never had any problem with one. But now I am 18 and soon to turn 19 I have a Motorola radio thats giving me problems. And it's a XTS-5000 If your wondering how I got $2,500 I earned it by working that's right working. Like most people do in the world. If you can be so cind It's a XTS-5000 403-470Mhz modle 3 you know full keypad and firmware virson R06.00 if that helps in any way. I got it off the dealer worked fine. Took it home worked fine. Had some lunch came back to it took 5 mins for self test then said error on screen.
Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:16 pm Post subject: Look on ebay
RadioMaster08 wrote:Look on ebay for a programming cable got a lot of them for my radios try it that where I shop for used radios most of the time
Make up your mind which is it?
Pj

Post by Pj »

I'll tell you what. I own a radio shop here in NY. If you want, send it to me and I'll read it with the dealer software as long as you pay for the return shipping. You can send me the information via private messaging if you would like.

We can get to the bottom of this and have you up and running in no time.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

PJ runs a great service shop. I really do recommend his services for long term storage and fixing.
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

Model H09RDH9PW7BN????? This is an XTS 3000 model number.....

Are you even sure what you have over there???

-Marc
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

either this guy is a troll or a whacker
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

escomm wrote:either this guy is a troll or a whacker
Or an outright thief.
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

Or someone with a legitimate request? I'm not suggesting he's on the up and up, or otherwise. I'm just suggesting that instead of jumping on him for not being able to prove where it came from, maybe everyone should just relax.

Personally, I'm thinking it's not the most legit radio in the world. If I went to a Motorola dealer and spent $2500 on a radio that didn't work, I'd go back in hellbent on either getting a new radio or getting my money back.

However, he should probably be given a chance to explain himself without people jumping down his throat saying it's stolen or whatever. For the record, an XTS5000 that gets inhibited does NOT show an error on the screen, and does not take 5 minutes to "boot up". I love how some people are quick to jump on the "it's inhibited" band wagon. I would wonder if some of those people have actually seen a radio get inhibited. I'm guessing not, based on their observations of what they think an inhibited radio acts/looks like.
Pj

Post by Pj »

So, explain the XTS3000 model number bellersley...
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

Hey, like I said, there are definatly some interesting issues with the radio. It's obvious the poster isn't familiar with what he has. The only suggestion I think we should offer is to take it into another shop and have them take a look at it.
RadioMaster08
Banned

Post by RadioMaster08 »

I took the radio back to the dealer i took it there 2 hours ago. They gave me a new XTS-5000 Radio and even returned my money for FREE. They can't tell me what happend they were not shore eather. I got a call from the Motorola dealer that they sent it to the factory and they did not know what was wrong. At least I got a new radio Plus all my money back for FREE. It's a mystery
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

Wait, so they gave you a new radio AND your money back? So you're up $2500 and a radio? Something smells fishy and it isn't my lunch.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

RadioMaster08 wrote:I took the radio back to the dealer i took it there 2 hours ago. They gave me a new XTS-5000 Radio and even returned my money for FREE. They can't tell me what happend they were not shore eather. I got a call from the Motorola dealer that they sent it to the factory and they did not know what was wrong. At least I got a new radio Plus all my money back for FREE. It's a mystery
Not sure of your location, but 2 hours ago EST was about 0700. And anywhere else in the States was even earlier. Not too many Motorola shops that I know of open that early. PLUS, you don't get a new radio AND your money back. It's either one or the other.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
RadioMaster08
Banned

Post by RadioMaster08 »

Thats what they did. And I know a Motorola dealer that is open very early but the thing is it's 45 min to get there. :(
Mfire39

Post by Mfire39 »

So the dealer gave you your money back and a new XTS5000 for free???

If that isn't the biggest line of B.S, I don't know what is......

-Marc
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

BS.

Done.

Return to “Radio Programming”