XTS3000 LCD with flex

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dxon2m

XTS3000 LCD with flex

Post by dxon2m »

Looking for a part number for the LCD w/ flex for XTS3000
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Item Number. 5105385Y19

MODULE LCD
Unit of Measure: 1 EA

edit: Would seem this part is NLA (current stock is 1 and I just ordered it hehe) and will be replaced by a new part number. I believe that new part number will be 5185633C42, however I want to qualify this statement by noting that I ordered five of the new part-numbered units in December, and found out just yesterday that they are all DOA.

I opened a case with /\/\ to investigate whether I got a bad batch or if there is a design flaw or what, but I don't think I will get very far given it's for a discontinued radio.
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

escomm wrote:Item Number. 5105385Y19

MODULE LCD
Unit of Measure: 1 EA

edit: Would seem this part is NLA (current stock is 1 and I just ordered it hehe) and will be replaced by a new part number. I believe that new part number will be 5185633C42, however I want to qualify this statement by noting that I ordered five of the new part-numbered units in December, and found out just yesterday that they are all DOA.

I opened a case with /\/\ to investigate whether I got a bad batch or if there is a design flaw or what, but I don't think I will get very far given it's for a discontinued radio.

That's not good, I just spoke to some guy on MOL and they told me 5185633C42 is the one replacing 5105385Y19.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

It could be that I had a bad batch. I'll report back with what I am told regarding those modules.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I was just sent this by one of my parts customers who had his technician experience similar problems.
"I ordered a new LCD (with flex) from Motorola and just installed on my
XTS3000. I made sure everything was plugged in and secure. But when I
power up the radio, I see nothing at all. The LCD lights up however, when I press the light button.. "
Followed up with...
"So I just got off the phone from Motorola, they said there will be a
service notice released very soon and it requires a firmware upgrade
that should be able to do individually. "

Now here comes the juicy part, he said it may require radio's information,
ie. flash model and serial. "
None of this info came from Motorola first hand... so take it with a grain of salt. But it's certainly interesting nonetheless.
compuman81

Post by compuman81 »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........................................................

m0t0r0la is up to something fishy......a change in the serial protocol for the display? maybe that's not the only thing they're adding...

don't bust your screen.....
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

I worked on a 3k recently that someone changed the LCD & flex on. Same issue.

Turns out when they installed it the flex got torn in the bend right before the display module. Replaced it with a new one and all was well.

If this LCD & flex were new from Moto then go through parts to get a warranty exchange.
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

RocketNJ wrote:I worked on a 3k recently that someone changed the LCD & flex on. Same issue.

Turns out when they installed it the flex got torn in the bend right before the display module. Replaced it with a new one and all was well.

If this LCD & flex were new from Moto then go through parts to get a warranty exchange.
Hmm...I made sure everything was seated properly and took extra caution to make sure the flex doesn't get torn.

Are you suggesting that the new ones work as well without any "firmware upgrades"?
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

Yes, the new LCD & flex worked fine without any firmware upgrade needed. Double check the inside of the bend in the flex. Also look at where the flex connects to the LCD to see if it separated from the LCD module. This is a common failure when the LCD dangles after being plugged into the vocon board.

Think about it. A portable has a display go bad. Are they going to make the customer spend another $75 for a firmware refresh? I know we're talking about Moto but that doesn't make sense.

Call parts and get a warranty replacement. The 5185633C42 part number is the current correct part.
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

i just installed one of these "new" LCDs and had the same issue, one of my old LCDs worked just fine. the dealer checked several from his new batch and they all did the same thing. Backlight works, no text on the display.

something fishy is going on for sure, we ended up having to install an old one in the radio.

this is NOT simply a connection issue.
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

Surely if the new modules required a firmware update, then an SRN would have been released too and people would have been notified.....

Personally I think (am hoping) its a manufacturing fault...
nh7cy
What radios do you own?: one of each

Post by nh7cy »

what a perfect opportunity to stock up on all of the old style LCDs you can get your hands on..

then corner the market.. 8)

so now im curious.. is there anything different about the new LCDs? does a new firmware flash mean more features? ie. lower case display letters, signal strength meter working in conventional, a battery meter for the 3000, maybe even a clock?
Jason B
Operating VHF AM mobile - On the air, In the air.
rapier6360

XTSLCD problems

Post by rapier6360 »

JUst talked to moto yesterday
Good news - Motorola does admit that there is a problem with the XTS3000 LCD ( 5105385Y19 ) and that is why there is a new part. The correct replacement is the part number we have ( 5185633C42 ). There was supposed to be a service bulletin out on the problem last month, but it is not out yet

Bad news - There is a firmware version problem with some radios. Some versions do not have the drivers for the new LCD. Therefore the display will not work (Blank). Subscriber support does not know what version of firmware has a problem with the new LCD. The field service bulletin for the firmware will not be out for at least another 2 weeks. Motorola says they have 0.0 of the old parts in stock.
dxon2m

Re: XTSLCD problems

Post by dxon2m »

rapier6360 wrote:JUst talked to moto yesterday
Good news - Motorola does admit that there is a problem with the XTS3000 LCD ( 5105385Y19 ) and that is why there is a new part. The correct replacement is the part number we have ( 5185633C42 ). There was supposed to be a service bulletin out on the problem last month, but it is not out yet

Bad news - There is a firmware version problem with some radios. Some versions do not have the drivers for the new LCD. Therefore the display will not work (Blank). Subscriber support does not know what version of firmware has a problem with the new LCD. The field service bulletin for the firmware will not be out for at least another 2 weeks. Motorola says they have 0.0 of the old parts in stock.
Great...any idea what was the "problem" with the old part (5105385Y19)?
rapier6360

LCD problem

Post by rapier6360 »

Our expiences wiyh the Y19 part indicate the flex and/or micro solder joints are just too fragile.
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

ill take a flimsy flex over not working at all any day of the week.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: LCD problem

Post by escomm »

rapier6360 wrote:Our expiences wiyh the Y19 part indicate the flex and/or micro solder joints are just too fragile.
my experience is that it's technician error, i've swapped out over 25 LCDs and only busted one once... and it really was a concerted effort on my part to rip that &@(#&$#@ apart
dxon2m

Re: LCD problem

Post by dxon2m »

rapier6360 wrote:Our expiences wiyh the Y19 part indicate the flex and/or micro solder joints are just too fragile.
To be honest, I don't find the new ones any less fragile than the Y19, but I'm not gonna waste my $98 to test it.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Just got off the phone with /\/\ and they confirmed it is a firmware issue related to the display drivers. They are working on an FSB (Field Service Bulletin), formerly known as an SRN, and should have it available within the next week or two.

Apparently they will cover the cost of the firmware update. This is speculation on my part, but I am 99% certain that they will want serial numbers, in addition to model numbers & flashcodes, in order to perform the upgrades.
sglass
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: sonic screwdriver

Post by sglass »

unreal

time to go vertex or kenwood
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

sglass wrote: time to go vertex or kenwood
That time was a few years ago :lol:
Do-Anything

Post by Do-Anything »

I'll be finding out real soon. I have one coming in a few days. I will post a reply as to if it works or what the issues are. Motorola never
told me I would have any problems with it, so I assume it will work out
on the box.

Darrell
Do-Anything

Post by Do-Anything »

Well, I installed the new display today and No Deal! No information was included with the display to explain this issue. I will be calling up my rep tomorrow morning and get a responds as to what they will be doing to fix this for me. This was pretty much a waste of my time. They could have told me to send it to them, and I would be paying for the part, they would taking the hit on the upgrade, and I wouldn't have to be playing games.

- Darrell
sglass
Batboard $upporter

Post by sglass »

Carrell

What is the host version of your radio?

Seth
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

sglass wrote:Carrell

What is the host version of your radio?

Seth
It seems like the latest host will handle the new LCD with no problem, but mine (R07.02.02) don't.
Do-Anything

Post by Do-Anything »

Host is 07.01.01.00

Just would have been nice for them to let you know there could be an issue, seeing how they knew and I didn't. Well, I can't say I didn't know, because of this thread. But I'm just on guy out of how many that could be replacing one in an older radio. At least drop a slip of paper in the box telling you that you may need to update and why. What if I didn't see this post and sent it back a few hunderd times thinking I keep getting bad LCD's. See whats up tomorrow.

- Darrell
sglass
Batboard $upporter

Post by sglass »

most of my stuff is 7.22.01

However, it would eb interesting to know minimum host needed for the new display.

If they say some bs like 7.70.xx that will be just absurd
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

Further up in this thread RocketNJ reported that he got the new LCD and worked OK on his XTS3K's.

Darrell I know exactly how you feel. I ordered the LCD though phone and the parts guy I spoke with did not mention anything about incompatible LCD. It's only when I call support they told me so.
Do-Anything

Post by Do-Anything »

RocketNJ wrote: Call parts and get a warranty replacement. The 5185633C42 part number is the current correct part.
This is the same part number I was sent. Checked over the flex and didn't see any issues with it.

By the way. Per the rear of the display.
Old display = Made in Japan.
New display = Made in China! (GREAT)

- Darrell
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

Do-Anything wrote:
RocketNJ wrote: Call parts and get a warranty replacement. The 5185633C42 part number is the current correct part.
This is the same part number I was sent. Checked over the flex and didn't see any issues with it.

By the way. Per the rear of the display.
Old display = Made in Japan.
New display = Made in China! (GREAT)

- Darrell
Funny, the new (working) one I got was from Japan too. It's dated 10/06.
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

Saw you PM. Have to dig up the radio with the new LCD to check firmware version.

So, did the replacement LCD work without the need for a firmware uplift?
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

RocketNJ wrote: So, did the replacement LCD work without the need for a firmware uplift?
Not for me. I bought the older LCD and it works like a charm
Do-Anything

Post by Do-Anything »

Called them up today and of course they knew of the firmware issue. Nice guy on the phone agreed that something should have been shipped with the unit or I should have otherwise been told of this problem. He e-mailed me the form to receive the software refresh and yes it is free. So, fine I will have the newest firmware. We'll see if it shows up without a follow up phone call. Or of course I may even fine out if me radio belongs to someone else. :wink:

- Darrell
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Well I am running into the same issue with a host of 7.22, new display not working. I have a authentic M3 radio so what is the # I can call to get the firmware upgrade ?? Anyone know.

Oh and I want to verify the issue, does the radio not power up at all with the China display with the wrong firmware?

Jason
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

(800) 422-4210
Do-Anything

New Display / Firmware Refresh

Post by Do-Anything »

Well, If you have an account with Motorola. You can give them a call at (800) 814-0601 and follow the options to Customer Service and they will put you in touch with someone that will arrange for the refresh to be sent to you. Of course you will need the equipement to do the refresh. If not, you can have it sent to a local dealer and have them do it. Or you can take the radio to a dealer and have them arrange for it to be refreshed. I have a Corp account with Motorola and they really take good care of me. I called them on Friday and received an e-mail form to fill out. I returned it Friday and recieved the Refreash this morning via Fedex. Just have your part number for the display and radio info like current firmware version, flashcode,what version of CPS you are using, and a few other things.

- Darrell
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

KB9KST wrote:Oh and I want to verify the issue, does the radio not power up at all with the China display with the wrong firmware?

Jason
It will power up and the backlight functions, just no display.
Last edited by dxon2m on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Hhhmmm, thats odd, two radios are both dead with that display in it, remove the display and they power up fine.

Jason
Do-Anything

Issue resolved

Post by Do-Anything »

I loaded the New firmware today and the Display is working just fine.
Well, alot of work and alot of waiting but it did pay off and I got a software refresh for free. Now lets see how long this out sourced "China" display lasts.

- Darrell
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

So what is the latest revision and did it come via updater or flashkey?

Jason
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

And does the new firmware still have the drivers for the old LCDs? I would assume it does, but...

Jim.
Do-Anything

Post by Do-Anything »

Latest firmware version is R07.71.00. A FLASHkey was used along with a firmware upgrade file sent on CD. And yes, I refreshed two radios, one with each type of display and it work just fine on the older display. I'll be sending back the key today and moving on to bigger and better (funner) stuff. If any issues result with the newer firmware, I will report them. As far as any other improvements gained by the new firmware I will also report them once discovered.

Thanks,
Darrell
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Service bulliten released: FSB00047

SUBJECT: Service of XTS3000 or XTS3500 Portables - Display Driver

MODELS / SYSTEMS AFFECTED: XTS3000 and XTS3500, Model II and III radio's ONLY using host firmware earlier than listed below.
Radio Models Firmware Version
XTS3500 R01.50.00
3.1 XTS3000 R07.23.00 (Note this is IMBE)
Astro Digital (VSELP) R03.40.00
5.1 XTS3000 R06.22.00 (Note this is P25)

Issue:
LCD module part number 5105385Y19 has become obsolete. The new part number for the LCD module is 5185633C42.
However, this new LCD module will require firmware upgrade to provide the appropriate drivers needed. There will be a software order form included with each new LCD purchased.

RESOLUTION:
Procedure to identify firmware version and upgrade firmware:
1. Use RSS or CPS to read the radio. The firmware version is present under the Radio Information tab.
Note: If an archive is used the firmware will indicate “NA”. You must read the radio and have it still connected to view the Firmware Version in the Radio Information tab.

Or

2. The firmware version of the radio can be identified by setting the radio in test mode.

a. To set XTS3000 radios in the test mode, refer to “RF Test Mode” under Chapter 4 of the Astro Digital XTS3000 Basic Service Manual (68P81083C85-O). Follow steps 1 and 2 to identify firmware version.

b. To set XTS3500 radios in test mode, refer to “Display Radio Test Mode” under Chapter 4 of the XTS3500 Basic Service Manual (68P81089C80). Follow the steps to identify the firmware version.

3. If the radio has firmware version prior to the cone listed above, then the firmware needs to be upgraded if replacing the display with part number 5185633C42. In order to submit for this firmware upgrade you must have your AAD Order
Number and fill in the form that arrives with the pat to obtain this upgrade.
Note: This is not to ADD options only REFRESH of drivers and Host/DSP firmware.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

a fillable PDF is available here:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=66569

of course, in typical moto fashion - it's fillable --- BUT NOT SAVEABLE IN FILLED FORM

so you have to either print it, handwrite it, then scan or fax it

or fill it in, print it, then scan or fax it.

no radio serial numbers required, it will just result in a refresh flashkey and upgrade file being mailed to ya.... you will have to provide a flashcode though.

dumba$$es

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

No serials, eh? Could you get a freebie flash feature upgrade out of that, or does the flashcode on the dongle have to match what's currently in the radio?

I wonder what happens if you write 591008-4F1E00-9... :)
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

well, it's a 1-for-1 upgrade.... so 1 upgrade per display ordered.....and you have to provide the order # for the display you ordered.....

refresh flashkey's don't care what the flashcode is in the radio - nor do they care what the radio model # is (in this case...m2 or m3), so you could conceivably bump your m1 with the refresh dongle

d
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
Do-Anything

Re: ...

Post by Do-Anything »

refresh flashkey's don't care what the flashcode is in the radio - nor do they care what the radio model # is (in this case...m2 or m3), so you could conceivably bump your m1 with the refresh dongle

d[/quote]

That may not be true. I ask for one upgrade. The flashkey had 12 on it. I tried to upgread another M2 and it errored out, telling me that the model didn't match (the key). I dumped the s-record from the first radio into it, and it worked no problem. So, what I am saying is you can play tricks and make it work, but I couldn't get it to work without them.

-Darrell
EOppegaard

Re: XTS3000 LCD with flex

Post by EOppegaard »

This may be a bit off topic, however is the display easily replaced on the XTS3000's? I was poking around and found a few that the seller claims only the display is broken (I hope not much else) and could pick them up at a significant discount.
Eric Oppegaard
Where's Oppie?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Very easy. It takes maybe 5 minutes and if you have the XTS case removal tool it's even easier.

Un-case radio, disconnect main flex, disconnect display flex, install new display, reconnect display flex, reconnect main flex, re-case radio, fin.
MotoFAN
What radios do you own?: Approx. 50: Moto & Kenwood

Post by MotoFAN »

I have XTS3000 MIII with non-Astro Host FW R07.04.00.00. It will works with new LCD (P/N 5185633C42) without FW upgrade?
Last edited by MotoFAN on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am biggest fan of XTS2500 and ASTRO Digital Saber.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”