IMBE Quantar and outboard control

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nickjc

IMBE Quantar and outboard control

Post by nickjc »

We need to setup our VHF quantar with some sort of controller for a project we are potentially going to take part in...

Is there *anyway* to incorporate over the air control of the quantar or control via an aux receiver port...?
Regards,

NickJC

xmo

Post by xmo »

The Quantar offers many possibilities for connection of external devices and control over station functionality.

You need to be more specific about how the Quantar will be used and what you want to accomplish.
nickjc

Post by nickjc »

Nothing fancy....the repeater now is s single rx/tx site...

All we will need is just positive control of the repeater from a non-manned location.

Currently the repeater is accessible in situations when it needs to be silenced.

The new location that it may relocate to does not offer this availibility easily..

Control would be limited to turning the transmitter on and off and or providing auxillary audio inputs to the transmit audio section...
Regards,

NickJC

spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Re: IMBE Quantar and outboard control

Post by spareparts »

nickjc wrote:We need to setup our VHF quantar with some sort of controller for a project we are potentially going to take part in...
I'm using a pager to drive a relay to control HVAC gear. Maybe a cheap numeric pager to drive a relay to turn off the transmitter? Out of band signalling is harder to hack then in-band.
xmo

Post by xmo »

First, your subject line says "IMBE Quantar" You now indicate that you want to: " providing auxillary audio inputs to the transmit audio section..."

The quantar does not have a VOCODER. Hence, there is no way to put audio into it which will be transmitted IMBE. To do that requires a DIU or DIU3000, which can be co-located with the station if desired.

For positive "out of band" control of your repeater, you could have a receiver on another band. It could be a pager as nickjc suggested, or a basic analog receiver connected to a simple controller. The controller would decode command signals picked up by that receiver and would enable or disable the repeater function in the Quantar through a wildcard input and a matching wildcard action table.

You could also have the controller connected to the Quantar so that it could transmit acknowledgement tones or voice messages in analog mode.
RKG

Post by RKG »

I believe the easiest (but not exactly cheap) way to do what you want to do is to acquire and install a SAM ("Station Access Module") card. You could then program the SAM to recognize a DTMF string, on receipt of which the SAM sets a defined flag as "True." Program another DTMF string to cause the SAM to set the same flag as "False." You then access the F9 "Wildcard" programming and create an "Action/State" table to the effect: "When the defined SAM flag is True, set Repeat to Disable; when false, set Repeat to Enable.
nickjc

Post by nickjc »

Sorry I guess I should be more clear... :oops:

xmo:

I am not suggesting or want to have any type on control or audio injection in IMBE modes... The whole DIU 3k interface is a little much at this point...

This is purely analog...

Are their points within the standard Quantar where i can interface a simple controller...is probably more to the point....

Also can this be on the primary receive frequency?

And we would like to see this ack in transmitted in analog mode

RKG:

That is essentially what we want to do...this would not be on a seperate control channel...although the would be ideal...right now we are looking for it to be on our primary input frequency...
Regards,

NickJC

fubb26

Post by fubb26 »

you can interface a controller and use DTMF to turn it on and off. i sorta did this with a quantar crossbanded to Low Band M208 and a link communications controller

here is the thread link:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=49473
Dan562
What radios do you own?: Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, Motorola

Post by Dan562 »

Here's the /\/\ Quantar FRU SAM (ANALOG) MODULE TLN3364 APC: 509 for $1000.00 that you should order and install into the Base Station's card cage. You will be required to purchase the RVN SAM Software at the same time which is sold separately unless you already have a copy of the SAM software.

It will work with the BASIC or ENHANCED Wildcard (which will need to be Enabled in the Quantar's Hardware section of the CPS/RSS software). This module can do the Repeater Set-Up and Knock Down function using the Standard DMTF Signaling via the On-Channel RF receiver frequency or a TRC Wire Line. The SAM is not limited just to that one function as it can do many more features and options.
xmo

Post by xmo »

If all you need to do is turn the repeater on and off over the air, you don't need a SAM or an external controller.

Just set the station up for MCS. Set up 3 PL codes. The first code will be your published code for all your normal users. The second and third codes will be used to control the repeater.

Set up two wildcard tables. The first will have STATE: MCS USER 02, ACTION: RPTR KNOCKDOWN.

The second table will have STATE: MCS USER 03, ACTION: RPTR SETUP.

That way all you have to do is send a carrier with the correct PL to turn the repeater on or off as desired.

If you like to have an over the air acknowledgement, just add a command to the appropriate table to send a beep or beeps when you de-key.
Vercomm

Post by Vercomm »

Hey xmo,

Just want to say that your posts on quantars really kick ass. I've been searching for your posts just for the pure knowledge.

P.S. I haven't been able to put your last info to use yet but I'm hoping soon I'll get approval to move ahead with my project.

xmo, if you know anybody with VHF quantars for sale send'em my way.

Again, awesome posts and keep'em coming!!!!!!!

Jamie
nickjc

Post by nickjc »

xmo wrote:If all you need to do is turn the repeater on and off over the air, you don't need a SAM or an external controller.

Just set the station up for MCS. Set up 3 PL codes. The first code will be your published code for all your normal users. The second and third codes will be used to control the repeater.

Set up two wildcard tables. The first will have STATE: MCS USER 02, ACTION: RPTR KNOCKDOWN.

The second table will have STATE: MCS USER 03, ACTION: RPTR SETUP.

That way all you have to do is send a carrier with the correct PL to turn the repeater on or off as desired.

If you like to have an over the air acknowledgement, just add a command to the appropriate table to send a beep or beeps when you de-key.
Hi Thaks for all the responses

No other cards needed to do this function??? It is 'stock' operation of the quantar??

Also, *IT* seems from reading that you can only run MCS if the station is Non Astro....

What if we run an Conventional and ASTRO CAI station

8)
Regards,

NickJC

nickjc

Post by nickjc »

any idea(s) add'nl to my last post??

Thanks a bunch...

n
Regards,

NickJC

CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

negative, MCS can ONLY be selected when the codeplug is set to Analog only.
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

What about running in mixed mode with DPL access. Then use a SAM board for DTMF control of repeater?

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”