MotoTRBO. You saw it here first!!!!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

MotoTRBO. You saw it here first!!!!

Post by mikegilbert »

Hey batlabs.

I spent last night fooling around with my new Motorola XPR4550. Here are some screen (display) shots for you guys to feast on.

Oh, and here's a short video I made today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En8-lRhDoro

I did a dry fit in my car- the radio is DIN size, so I'd imagine there's a nice bracket available.

Enjoy.

-Mike

RSSI Display!!!

Menu Structure

Hopefully this isn't developmental FW

TXT LOL hehe.

Awesome!

Size Comparison
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

saw what here first, programmed radios? we've known about trbo (and even seen the demos that fell off the truck) for months ;p
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

No $h#t escomm- I must have been hiding under a rock or something.

We've all known about it, you are correct.

This is just to give the other 95% of batlabs (non MSS employees/IWCE attendees) a chance to see it working.

Anyway, please enjoy- I guess I'm easily entertained.

-Mike
Last edited by mikegilbert on Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

SEXY stuff. I suppose the TMS on the motoTRBO is the same as the TMS on XTS5000?

Thanks for posting mike
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

I haven't played with the TMS on the TRBO just yet, but it looks more streamlined than the Astro TMS. They're both awesome though.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The TMS is pretty much the same as the DTR series, if you've played with them.

Hmmph...our demos, as well as the CPS & cables, aren't available to us here in Canada until sometime in March :x Placed the orders though!
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

I'm hoping this will work with the regular CPS- it doesn't even have a motorola P/N sticker.

Does it take the XTL/PM programming cable?

-Mike
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

I'm hoping this will work with the regular CPS- it doesn't even have a motorola P/N sticker.

-Mike
Dreamer
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

HAHA.

I'm being optimistic 8)
Johnny Galaga

Post by Johnny Galaga »

How hard will it be to get the software and programming equipment ?
Analog already is interoperable.

scanner_freak

Post by scanner_freak »

sweet pic/vid. Im jelous :P Thanks for sharing 8)
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Johnny Galaga wrote:How hard will it be to get the software and programming equipment ?
No harder than any other piece of software. The client that tracks the GPS movements goes for about $1100
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

If it wasn't for that ghey-ass commentary in the background... :lol:

Is that a real radio, or an ABC123?
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

tvsjr wrote:If it wasn't for that ghey-ass commentary in the background... :lol:

Is that a real radio, or an ABC123?
It's not an ABC123...it's a 0000AAA hahaha.

Model No: M27QPH9LA1AN
Flashcode: 500008-000488-2

Seriously!

The only marking is the motorola label. Doesn't even say XPR!
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

I wonder when 4F1E codeplugs will appear lol
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

mikegilbert wrote: Model No: M27QPH9LA1AN
Flashcode: 500008-000488-2
IMBE + SZ + ID Display...mmmmmmm :lol:
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

mikegilbert wrote:I'm hoping this will work with the regular CPS- it doesn't even have a motorola P/N sticker.

-Mike
What do you mean by "regular CPS"?? I assumed you had it since you posted the pics. The TRBO CPS is part# RVN5115. The cable part numbers are:

Portable programming/service cable – PMKN4013

Portable programming cable – PMKN4012

Mobile front programming cable – HKN6184

Repeater/mobile rear programming/service cable – PMKN4016
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

60A
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, XPR7550, APX6000

Post by 60A »

I have to say, I'm pretty excited. My work is getting some demo units as soon as our local dealer gets them in! :) Thanks for the video *drool*
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

wavetar wrote:What do you mean by "regular CPS"?? I assumed you had it since you posted the pics...
Well this is a developmental radio so i don't know if the regular CPS will even talk to it.

I used the test frequencies that were already loaded in the radio for the RX check.

Thanks for the part #'s. I'll be ordering the cable shortly.
lenny kravitz

More Pictures

Post by lenny kravitz »

Here are anothers pictures.
Image[/img]
60A

Post by 60A »

that is a giant microphone, yikes!
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Cool!

Looks like the standard full-feature XTL palm mic.
60A

Post by 60A »

Our dealer just got their demos in, and we were first on their list to try them out. I have to say I am pretty impressed. We have them programed for or analog repeater... and they sound clearer then our current ht-1250's. We also have them on a digital simplex channel and the range is pretty excellent. Yay moto!
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Anyone else run into this little 'bug' with the CPS?

I found that the factory programmed digital personality of course works. Now, try deleting the factory analog personality, and manually creating a second, third, fourth, etc, digital channel. By "manually", I mean right-click "Zone 1", and choose "new", "digital channel". It will put them in there...but they will NOT work...you just get an error tone when you attempt to transmit. Doesn't matter if you set it as a repeater channel, or a simplex channel. Also doesn't' matter which "repeater slot" you set it for. This happened with both of my demo portables, and the demo mobile.

I had to erase all but the factory digital personality, then highlight the personality, right-click it, and choose "copy". Then highlight "Zone 1", right-click it, and choose "paste". It will add it as the next channel, and it will then work!

This was with the latest "B" version of the CPS.

What a pain in the @ss...especially when I was trying to program the buggers the night before they were to be showcased at a convention.

Todd

Johnny Galaga

Post by Johnny Galaga »

I've read other threads on here that it's really hard to get Motorola to sell you the CPS. Is that still true with these new radios?

Does CPS use the same old RIB box as RSS, or is there some other way you're supposed to hook it up to the computer?
Analog already is interoperable.

wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Johnny Galaga wrote:I've read other threads on here that it's really hard to get Motorola to sell you the CPS. Is that still true with these new radios?
The only CPS that people have trouble getting are the Professional Series (HT/CDM), Entry Level Professional Series (CT250/450), and Professional Trunked Series (MTX850/8250, etc) which for whatever reason have their own specific license agreement.

All other CPS/RSS falls under the "general" license agreement that anybody can sign, pay for & obtain.

That said, I don't know which one will apply to the TRBO radios...it's too new to be on the RSS spreadsheet on MOL.
Johnny Galaga wrote: Does CPS use the same old RIB box as RSS, or is there some other way you're supposed to hook it up to the computer?
All TRBO cables are USB based...no serial cables at all (so far, at least).

Todd

nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

So what are these things designed and intended for? Buisness? Public safety?
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Business yes... for public safety Motorola would much rather sell you a Quantar and some XTS/XTL radios.... 8)
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Any idea what MSRP pricing on this stuff is? I would expect portables to be between $400-500, but that's just a rough guess. . .
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

more like $900-1100 for the portables and $800-1000 for the mobiles
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

nmfire10 wrote:So what are these things designed and intended for? Buisness? Public safety?
According to the matrix I saw at the Motorola road show in November, they envision these radios to be sort of "upper middle class" in their portfolio. They recommend them for certain types of public safety, such as small to mid-sized municipal police & fire fleets no problem. The physical build quality surpasses the HT/CDM & Commercial series stuff (IP57 & all that), so I'd have to agree. It fills in a large gap between their current platforms & the "Homeland Security" level of the Astro stuff.

I'm going to make this thread a sticky until the info can get moved to the knowledge base...so far it contains pictures, part numbers, CPS bug work arounds, etc.

Todd

RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

I guess plain old P25 IMBE is out for these things? <---- Just a guess...
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

RESCUE161 wrote:I guess plain old P25 IMBE is out for these things? <---- Just a guess...
Correct, they use TDMA
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

...and the AMBE vocoder.

It uses the ETSI-TS102 361-1 protocol. It is an open standard, but not even remotely compatible with P25 Phase I.
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

Rayjk110 wrote:Any idea what MSRP pricing on this stuff is? I would expect portables to be between $400-500, but that's just a rough guess. . .
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was a good one.....
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

wavetar wrote:
nmfire10 wrote:So what are these things designed and intended for? Buisness? Public safety?
According to the matrix I saw at the Motorola road show in November, they envision these radios to be sort of "upper middle class" in their portfolio. They recommend them for certain types of public safety, such as small to mid-sized municipal police & fire fleets no problem. The physical build quality surpasses the HT/CDM & Commercial series stuff (IP57 & all that), so I'd have to agree. It fills in a large gap between their current platforms & the "Homeland Security" level of the Astro stuff.

I'm going to make this thread a sticky until the info can get moved to the knowledge base...so far it contains pictures, part numbers, CPS bug work arounds, etc.

Todd
So at the same sort of market tier where you'd find the MT2000 etc in the ASTRO Saber days?
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

HumHead wrote:...and the AMBE vocoder.

It uses the ETSI-TS102 361-1 protocol. It is an open standard, but not even remotely compatible with P25 Phase I.
Yep. Different modulation scheme, different vocoder, different framing, different access method, etc.
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

According to the engineer that I spoke with from /\/\, they are positioning these to be the evolution / replacement for the Professional Series radios, once they are ultimately discontinued.

If I were a betting man, I would guess that we will see the pricing on the two series getting closer and closer as discontinuation of the Professional Series approaches, several years down the line.
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

escomm wrote:more like $900-1100 for the portables and $800-1000 for the mobiles
Are you sure?

See, I only paid $60 for mine 8)
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I got mine for free and I can send mine to the depot for service and will actually get it back.... :lol:
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

escomm wrote:I got mine for free and I can send mine to the depot for service and will actually get it back.... :lol:
Well, it's a modern /\/\, so it'll probably be needing a depot trip soon anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I think it needs to go already... it doesn't do DTMF! Jk, I don't think it's capable of doing DTMF

FYI, the repeater cannot run in mixed mode, it's either analog or digital and is controllable only by the CPS... though I suppose you could put up two repeaters on the same pair and have one run digital and one run analog.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

The fact that mixed mode is possible on ASTRO base stations doesn't make it a good idea anyway, except maybe on the hammy bands.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

mr.syntrx wrote:The fact that mixed mode is possible on ASTRO base stations doesn't make it a good idea anyway, except maybe on the hammy bands.
Yes, but there is about a 1/2 to 3/4 second delay from the time you talk on digital and the time it comes out on everyone else's radio, and sometimes you just have to have realtime comms. So flipping to analog would be nice and convenient for times like that.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Most digital radios have that DSP lag in analog and digital modes anyway, military gear especially.

Check out the lag in FM on an MBITR sometime.
Last edited by mr.syntrx on Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Thus the need to be able to easily switch to analog for true real time comms 8)
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

Yeah, use an MT500 or HT1250, or other radios with no DSP to clean up the analog audio.

-Josh
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Here's the mobile accessory connector info:

Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

OK Todd, you're nominated to put together the Knowledge Base article for these radios!
giardinop
What radios do you own?: (2)HT 1250, EX 500, EX600 XLS

Post by giardinop »

What are the prospects for the "S" bandsplit?

Can you mix TDMA and conventional channels in a Zone?

I like what these radios offer but our EX600s and CDM1250s give us a lot of interoperability (between other Gov'ts on UHF). The "R" bandsplit does not cover enough for us.
Communicating on......all /\/\ equipment

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”