GTX Mobile PL/DPL dectect output line?

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jonathan KC8RYW

GTX Mobile PL/DPL dectect output line?

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

Anyone know where?

I'm trying to use a GTX mobile for an IRLP RoIP node.
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
Jonathan KC8RYW

Anyone?
73 DE KC8RYW
W6JK

Post by W6JK »

Rumor has it that a fellow has worked out how to use them as repeater receivers, but he thinks he's going to make a living at it so he's not telling. Presumably he could help you, for a price, but I have yet to hear any announcement from him.
Last edited by W6JK on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan KC8RYW

Time for "plan B".

Program the GTX for CSQ on recieve.
Take a Maxar DPL board, connect it to 16-pin connector pin 11 (Flat RX Audio).
Feed COS from the Maxar DPL board to the IRLP controller.
73 DE KC8RYW
W6JK

Post by W6JK »

That sounds like a pretty good idea. Please let us know how it works out.

Jeff
ka4ymy

Post by ka4ymy »

Hi guys.. The GTX mobile makes for a great repeater receiver. I'm using one on my repeater. The CSQ detection point in the radio is sort of a pain to locate but it's there. I apologize, I don't have a digital camera to take a picture of where I snagged the signal from, however, I will at least make a meager attempt to explain where it is.

- Pop the top cover off the radio.

- With the front of the radio towards you, look on the left hand side. There is a fancy looking rectangular flat pack chip on the left, mine has the Intel brand stamped on it.

- There are some small round thru-hole connections just above that chip going towards the back of the circuit board to the 16 pin connector. The COR signal is available from one of those thru-hole connections. It isn't but maybe 1/4 inch up from the Intel chip. My best suggestion is to grab your voltmeter, run a signal into your radio until you find this point. Be aware that you have to use very fine wire to make connection to this thru-hole point. I modified my receive radio by disconnecting the 0 ohm resistor at the 16 pin accessory connector, pin 14 (mic hook) and ran my COR signal to that pin instead. This way, I have COR coming out the back. And by the way, I did not have to add a buffer transistor to utilize this signal. I'm using a Link-Comm RLC-1 controller. The RLC-1 handles this signal just fine without loading it down too much. Also, be aware that this point that I am using combines with any PL/DPL you might have programmed into the radio. CSQ and PL/DPL are not separate, which for me is good because I can use the PL/DPL decode from the radio's processor without having to provide my own outboard decoder board.

Again, I apologize for not having a picture available to show for this. I found the COR point for this from repeater-builder.com.. I did not find it on my own. Oh, and as for getting the rig to receive down to 902, I simply unsoldered the front end filters off the board and jumpered them out. I easily have .25uv at 902.7125.. I added an ARR preamp to it just to give it a little boost.

Anyway, if you need further info on how I did any of this, please don't hesitate to ask. Unlike others who would rather keep things like this to themselves, I am most willing to be of help!

Steve
KA4YMY
W6JK

Post by W6JK »

Where on Repeater Builder did you find the COS info? I don't remember seeing it there.

Jeff
ka4ymy

Post by ka4ymy »

I stand corrected. It wasn't from repeater builder, it was from this forum. It has been quite some time since I have seen this info, but this looks like the proper thread:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=26607

The only downside now is that the pics don't seem to be available anymore. I'll see if I can try to get some pictures taken of my own equipment in the near future, I will share what I have done to make mine work.

Steve
ka4ymy

Post by ka4ymy »

OK, I borrowed a neighbor's camera (it's a very cheap one!) and YES, I know it's blurry but it's best I can offer, guys. No access to a macro lens for this.. Hopefully though, it will at least give you a general idea of where to find this COR point.

Yeah, I know it isn't much and it's hard to see, but I would think that this will direct you to the general area that I am trying to refer you to. As stated, it is a round thru-hole going to the underside of the pc board.

If someone in the group has access to a better quality camera with a macro lens that will allow up-close shots for something like this, find this point, mark it and snap a shot for the rest of the group.

Hope this helps just a little more, for what it's worth to you.

Steve
ke7joi

Post by ke7joi »

Jonathan KC8RYW wrote:Time for "plan B".

Program the GTX for CSQ on recieve.
Take a Maxar DPL board, connect it to 16-pin connector pin 11 (Flat RX Audio).
Feed COS from the Maxar DPL board to the IRLP controller.
Jonathan where can I find information on the Maxar DPL board you are talking about sounds like what I need for a project I am working on

thanks

Joel KE7JOI
kb9mwr

Re: GTX Mobile PL/DPL dectect output line?

Post by kb9mwr »

Jonathan KC8RYW wrote:Anyone know where?

I'm trying to use a GTX mobile for an IRLP RoIP node.
Thats the same type of application I had..

There is an active low audio PA enable point on the board:

http://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/projects/900m ... 0a-COR.jpg
kd9000

GTX 900 COR

Post by kd9000 »

I found this in the AR902MHz Photo Albums>Miscellaneous

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/AR902M ... w/c7ce?b=8

It shows Squelch Detect high on receive location.

Sorry I can't copy photo into this msg.

Ken
ke7joi

Post by ke7joi »

Ok here is the picture that could not be posted

Joel
KE7JOI
1 900 Spectra
1 VHF Spectra
3 900 GTX Portables
1 900 GTX Mobile

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”