Is there a trick to flashing the host/dsp on an XTL5k????

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr061
was KB9KST

Is there a trick to flashing the host/dsp on an XTL5k????

Post by jmr061 »

Ok I have an XTL5k with an O5 head on it. I have the CVN file to go to 9.xx.xx host/dsp. I have a valid flashkey for the upgrade. I try to flash it and it gets to a certain point of flashing device 1 and fails every time. I am using the usb cable connected to the control head just like the help pictures show. Radio reads and writes just fine.

Any suggestions? Is there a diff cvn file for an O5 head radio versus a W series one?

Jason
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

I doubt it as I did an upgrade to 7.2 a while ago and there was only 1 file for the XTSL5000.
Does the program say its failing?
What error do you get.
RailroadTech

Post by RailroadTech »

Yes an O5 control head makes a big difference.
You need to upgrade the control head firmware.

If you get to the point where the control head firmware is upgraded and the host and dsp is not yet upgrade you end out with a brick which can only be revived at Motorola.

The control head and host/dsp firmware have to match.
W Series control head never get a a control head firmware update.

I always had a hard time with the USB cable and this is the reason I use the serial cable but technicians have got the USB cable working it had something to do with the drivers.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

I kow with the XTL2500 series the flash upgrades the head at the same time.
Are you saying its different with the 5000?

I agree on the USB. I have both for when the USB doesn't work.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Ok what DVN file is known to work with the O5 head? I wanna make sure im using the correct series file.

Jason
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I drove a few blocks to the local M shop. They said they have nothing but issues with USB cable flash upgrades unless the computer is running XP. Well I am using WIN2000 so they gave me the serial cable to try. Worked fine. They said the usb cable has driver issues for flash upgrades. Anyone aware of this and a way to fix it??

Thanks

Jason
ard099

Post by ard099 »

Make sure the model number on the flash key is the same as your radio model number, I have seen typos.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Its just a refresh key for host/dsp not a flashcode upgrade.

Jason
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

I was told by motorola tech support that USB flash does not work well. Use the serial cable instead.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Would have been nice to know before I bought the usb cable, now I have to waste more money and get the serial cable.

Jason
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

KB9KST wrote:I drove a few blocks to the local M shop. They said they have nothing but issues with USB cable flash upgrades unless the computer is running XP. Well I am using WIN2000 so they gave me the serial cable to try. Worked fine. They said the usb cable has driver issues for flash upgrades. Anyone aware of this and a way to fix it??
i've only used xp and think I only had one radio where I had to use the serial. When you have 250 radios to flash the USB cable is the go as it is at least 6 times faster. I've had the more issues with the portable cables where a radio won't read, write with USB but fine with serial
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Use USB cables for flashing at your own risk. Motorola won't admit to it, but the failure rate for flashing XTS/XTL radios with USB is around 2%. I've flashed close to 1000 of these radios over the years & this is what I've found. There is no rhyme or reason to the failures, it just happens at some point into the flash. Motorola has always repaired the radios which failed during the flash at no charge, so I assume they must be aware of the problem, if not the solution. As Bruce points out, it is much quicker to use the USB, so when dealing with large fleets, it is sometimes worth the risk. If you are doing your own personal radio, stick to the serial ribless cables.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I changed from WIN2000 to WIN XP on my programming laptop and gave it a try with the USB. It worked just fine and was much faster than the serial cable.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Jason
ard099

Post by ard099 »

I'm just curious how much faster performance your getting with the usb cables. I have done refresh flashes with both the usb and serial cables and the times are almost the same. Average time is around 15-20 mins to do the control head and radio. Also the max transfer speed of the XTL5000 usb modem is 115k or so I believe, which I believe is the same with the serial cable. Am I just missing something? I'd love to find out a way to speed it up a little.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The speed difference is seen with the portables. The USB can max out at 4Mb/s according to the display, at least.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

The O5 head didnt show the download speed but I can say it took 5 minutes or a little more and that was it.

It was noticeably (did I spell that right???) faster than the serial which took at least 15 minutes.

Jason
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

I've found flashing XTL2500s with 05 head are both about the same speed with serial vs USB. About 23 minutes per radio.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

most of what iv'e flashed is portables and the USB cable is a huge difference.
I have a couple of XTL2500 to do So i will set the stopwatch and compare.
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

I don't want to start a Flame War over aftermarket ribs for the XTS series, but I've used ones for the 5K and 3K without any hitch whatsoever - serial versions. Has anyone used any of these (KAWAMAL) from eBay to do flash upgrades? Are they even capable? Motorola's obvious answer was "If we find out you used one (aftermarket) on one of our radios; we reserve the right not to warranty that radio." He wouldn't commit as to whether or not it would flash. Although; he said he had worked in the depot in the past, and STRONGLY suggested that I use the serial version on portables. He went on to say that he'd had just as many issues with the USB's on XP, as any other operating system.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

You used a rib on a 5K??

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Flash upgrades for the 5k's require the service cable, not the programming cable.
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

I see the confusion - my fault. The cables I used were RIB-less, but aftermarket.

How does the service cable differ from a regular programming cable? Will it program, or is it just for service? I'm getting ready to have to do a legit flash upgrade for a small department on 18-20 XTS5k's over a digital ID issue, and I want to keep my costs for programming equipment to a minimum, since I'm basically doing it as a favor to the sheriff.

Can you let me know what the part numbers are for what I'd need to do this flash?

Thanks!

Jim
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

RKN4106 is the serial port service/program cable

RKN4105 is the USB cable.

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

$251.00???? OUCH!

Thanks for the info, though.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

4n6inv wrote:I see the confusion - my fault. The cables I used were RIB-less, but aftermarket.
All of the cables for the 5k are ribless. Same thing with Mototrbo. Looks like /\/\ finally got the message 8)
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

Yeah; it looks like the message is $250.00 each time instead of $200.00 once, and $100.00 to $125 each time... Oh, well; it is a free market, and they are the best; in my opinion.

I definitely like the ribless better than lugging around a RIB, cable and umpteen radio cables. It's also one less thing for the battery to die on.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”