TWO Spectra's with FL 01/82

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jongage
What radios do you own?: Alot of old Motorolas

TWO Spectra's with FL 01/82

Post by Jongage »

My adventure's with the spectra radio series is frustrating!!! I finally got my computer to read the radio's, however when I go to program to codeplug I get a FL 01/82 bad codeplug. This has happened to two different radio's, using the same laptop. I hope I havent created bricks because that would trully frustrate me.

Here is what I am using
IBM Thinkpad Pentium Laptop running DOS 6.22 RSS Spectra Version 6.00.05 and Lab 4.04.04
(one radio likes the lab..the other 6.00)

RIB-less cable from rfguys.com

Motorola 20amp power supply

The pentium matrix from motorola states that the software is pentium compatiable, and it accesses that radio fine.

Could it be a cashe speed problem????
DOS Version?????

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Jon
ke7joi

Re: TWO Spectra's with FL 01/82

Post by ke7joi »

Jongage

here is where I would start look at the table second entry from the top and start from there

as you have 2 radios with the same error code. I think the codeplug is getting damaged in transfer I would try a different rib and and cable combination.
Joel
KE7JOI
1 900 Spectra
1 VHF Spectra
3 900 GTX Portables
1 900 GTX Mobile
Will

Post by Will »

"as you have 2 radios with the same error code. I think the codeplug is getting damaged in transfer I would try a different rib and and cable combination.
Joel "

I would agree with Joel. The Spectras use a full DUAL line plus BUSY interface and are not happy with some RIB's and cables.

Even with factory /\/\ RIBs they are not happy some times.

Best to try a different computer/RIB/cable setup to be sure.
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

I'll third the words about RIB and cable. You also need to be aware of what you're using for a programming computer. Spectra software is not as picky as some, about speed and internal cache, but it can get finicky if you overdo it.

For actual reading/programming, I'd be nervous about anything faster than a 486/66. If you just want to work on a codeplug, and then transfer the file to a different computer for actual programming, know that I've managed to get the Spectra RSS to at least run (for codeplug-editing purposes ONLY) on a twin-CPU Windows 2000 Pro system under a pseudo-DOS window.

If you feel like you're reaching the end of your rope, I can look at one or both radios for you at my normal rates. Web site address is in my signature block.

Happy tweaking.
smokeybehr
What radios do you own?: Dozens. Want one? Email me.

Post by smokeybehr »

kc7gr wrote:I'll third the words about RIB and cable. You also need to be aware of what you're using for a programming computer. Spectra software is not as picky as some, about speed and internal cache, but it can get finicky if you overdo it.
That should be the mantra for any kind of programming error... "RIB and cable, slow computer"
For actual reading/programming, I'd be nervous about anything faster than a 486/66. If you just want to work on a codeplug, and then transfer the file to a different computer for actual programming, know that I've managed to get the Spectra RSS to at least run (for codeplug-editing purposes ONLY) on a twin-CPU Windows 2000 Pro system under a pseudo-DOS window.
I've edited with a 1.7GHz running XP, and I've had success with a Panasonic CF-27 P2/233 reading and writing all the flavors of Spectra that I have.
No, I will not fix your computer. Call back during NORMAL business hours.
Will

Post by Will »

A Spectra that displays the FAIL 01/82 usally gives a BUSY line Locked error when trying to read the code plug, even when trying to force the correct code plug back into the radio.

I have one here doing the BUSY line locked error in the RSS and it has no error or FAIL codes on the display. Spectra operates normally with all A9 buttons working, TX RX ok..
I can not even put the correct codeplug back into it. Seems to be upon much further investigation the data going to the computer is a little scrambeled. RSS gives a BUSY line locked, then RSS displays check the RIB, cables, ect.

And, yes, I tried several different RIBs, cables, A9 heads, even my trusty 286 computer. Same scrambled data showing on my scope, and the BUSY line locked, then the check RIB & cables error in RSS.

Return to “Radio Programming”