Tool for opening the water proof steel case inside an XTS250

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

DES-AJ
What radios do you own?: Too many...

Tool for opening the water proof steel case inside an XTS250

Post by DES-AJ »

Hi guys, this thing is like a russian doll, Got one tool and opened the chassis and housing and now all the boards are encased in this steel cover (I'll post pics on the weekend) the screw head is a very strange one, almost looks half way between a philips and a diamond head in one.

Anyone know of a screwdriver tool part number?
AES AND DES ARE NOT CCI's - YOU CAN EXPORT THEM IF YOU WANT - Wassenaar Arrangement
RKG

Re: Tool for opening the water proof steel case inside an XTS250

Post by RKG »

Post a photo.
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

Sure it isn't a Torx?
mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Post by mikegilbert »

Do any of these resemble the screw?

MattSR

Post by MattSR »

DES-AJ wrote:Hi guys, this thing is like a russian doll, Got one tool and opened the chassis and housing and now all the boards are encased in this steel cover (I'll post pics on the weekend) the screw head is a very strange one, almost looks half way between a philips and a diamond head in one.

Anyone know of a screwdriver tool part number?
Ash, give me a buzz - odds are I have what you are looking for...
DES-AJ

Post by DES-AJ »

Sorry guys haven't posted, been busy - I got this open weeks ago. I did take photos - Will post pics when I can.

I will say (This will probably spark something) that their is no option board connector for the XTS2500I for encryption. (Period)

Judging after comparing an XTS5000 encryption board and the main board in an XTS2500I I would say hardware encryption is onboard. It's just a matter of that part of the radio being flashed correctly for the algo you require.

Time for some healthy debate.
AES AND DES ARE NOT CCI's - YOU CAN EXPORT THEM IF YOU WANT - Wassenaar Arrangement
DES-AJ

Post by DES-AJ »

Oh and Gil, it's similar to a Torx but very small and a bit too much like porridge at the three bears house...

I went through 7 screw driver sets, it was either too small or too big. Finally I found one that was just right! :)
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

DES-AJ wrote:Sorry guys haven't posted, been busy - I got this open weeks ago. I did take photos - Will post pics when I can.

I will say (This will probably spark something) that their is no option board connector for the XTS2500I for encryption. (Period)

Judging after comparing an XTS5000 encryption board and the main board in an XTS2500I I would say hardware encryption is onboard. It's just a matter of that part of the radio being flashed correctly for the algo you require.

The encryption field upgrade requires changing out the keypad board to the keypad/encryption one. I've done the retros in the field already.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

RocketNJ wrote:
DES-AJ wrote:Sorry guys haven't posted, been busy - I got this open weeks ago. I did take photos - Will post pics when I can.

The encryption field upgrade requires changing out the keypad board to the keypad/encryption one. I've done the retros in the field already.
You know what the trick is to remove the shield where the keypad is easily? It's a B*itch to get it in there, I can't imagine removing it.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
DES-AJ

Post by DES-AJ »

Anyone got the part # for the encryption/keypad module for a 2500I? Will it take an XTS5000 Encryption board or are the boards different?

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”